Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 02:54 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That is the most I have ever earned in a year; my average is around $12K and currently I make $12K. And I have a student loan payment greater than 10% of my gross income. Now how much do you expect me to have?
Have you looked into the student loan repayment options that are based on income? At 12K, you might be eligible to make no payment at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Do you mind posting your monthly budget? I find it hard to believe you can't find $15 somewhere.

Well yes I do have $15 somewhere. I'm buying and selling online (I've found a profitable niche where I can flip things for a small profit) and that's where my few extra dollars are going. Right now I have abt $10K in goods on hand, eventually that will be turned into cash. I like to think I can ultimately turn those few extra bucks into a larger pile this way than by putting it into a fund in today's market.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,537,070 times
17K a year?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Well yes I do have $15 somewhere. I'm buying and selling online (I've found a profitable niche where I can flip things for a small profit) and that's where my few extra dollars are going. Right now I have abt $10K in goods on hand, eventually that will be turned into cash. I like to think I can ultimately turn those few extra bucks into a larger pile this way than by putting it into a fund in today's market.
So to be clear, the issue isn't that you cannot save for retirement, the issue is that you refuse to?

Buying/selling online is not a good substitute for a retirement account.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Have you looked into the student loan repayment options that are based on income? At 12K, you might be eligible to make no payment at all.

I'm not eligible because my loans are in default. They should be out of default in about five months, then I can use one of the affordable repayment options and on my current income my required payment would be zero.

Now how's that for a Catch-22? For a long time I was unable to come up with enough money to pay enough to get my loan out of default, with the result that I have payed thousands of extra dollars in fees and penalties. Without all the extra fees, my balance today would be under $1000.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:04 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
I'm not eligible because my loans are in default. They should be out of default in about five months, then I can use one of the affordable repayment options and on my current income my required payment would be zero.

Now how's that for a Catch-22? For a long time I was unable to come up with enough money to pay enough to get my loan out of default, with the result that I have payed thousands of extra dollars in fees and penalties. Without all the extra fees, my balance today would be under $1000.
That's good. Put some of the savings into a retirement fund!!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
So to be clear, the issue isn't that you cannot save for retirement, the issue is that you refuse to?

Buying/selling online is not a good substitute for a retirement account.

At my income, the tax savings for a tax-deferred account would be negligible. I think I can make more money this way, especially if I can pull off a related project that will generate an additional income.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
At my income, the tax savings for a tax-deferred account would be negligible. I think I can make more money this way, especially if I can pull off a related project that will generate an additional income.
And this is precisely the line of thinking that prevents people from having money at retirement. Can you show me your spreadsheets and calculations that brought you to this conclusion?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM

89,040 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Do you mind posting your monthly budget? I find it hard to believe you can't find $15 somewhere.
It's $15 per week, and yes freemkt could save $15 per week if financial security mattered to him/her.

Clearly, it doesn't.

I feel sorry for those who think big government is going to come to their rescue. The money just isn't there, and there's no way the government can borrow enough AND pay the interest on the debt.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Another wannabe Tony Robbins.
No , I don't listen to Tony Robbins.. he is an extremist and does not appeal to me . His message I have heard about and many will get in debt listening to him

I put the principles of money to work . Some are in proverbs of the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies