Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

The largest and most recent illegal traffiker of small arms and grenades to Mexican drug cartels on the US border is Obama's Dept. of Social Justice and co-anti gun proponant AG Eric Holder along with BATFE, ICE, and the DEA.

Clue: See Operation Fast & Furious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The CDC found no evidence on the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of the restrictions, I think we are in agreement? What is insensible about limiting the capacity of clips and armor piercing , what makes them insensible, what is the purpose.

Spare me the correction of semantics, you understand my point. The military bans M60 machine guns, why is that not a half measure anymore than the assault rifle bans.
Spare me the sophistry, the study did effectively find ineffectiveness, if we define 'ineffectiveness' as lack of effectiveness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS
Since then, the task force reviewed 51 published studies about the effectiveness of eight types of gun-control laws. The laws included bans on specific firearms or ammunition, measures barring felons from buying guns, and mandatory waiting periods and firearm registration. None of the studies were done by the federal government.

In every case, a CDC task force found "insufficient evidence to determine effectiveness."
If you want to ban something, it is too much to ask that you know what it is properly called?

The military didn't ban M60 machine guns; they switched to a different, better model; I can't respond to that last sentence--it's gibberish as far as I can tell.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
Well, in my opinion a full on prohibition isn't ideal but neither is the current state of the issue. Somewhere between those two extremes is where I lie.

But since I guess my position is "dumb and phony"...I'll stop here.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM

57,306 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Spare me the sophistry, the study did effectively find ineffectiveness, if we define 'ineffectiveness' as lack of effectiveness:

If you want to ban something, it is too much to ask that you know what it is properly called?

The military didn't ban M60 machine guns; they switched to a different, better model; I can't respond to that last sentence--it's gibberish as far as I can tell.
This is what the study stated from your link, evidently your definition of ineffectiveness differs:

"The CDC said the report suggests more study is needed, not that gun laws don't work. But the agency said it has no plans to spend more money on firearms study."

Tell me, is the ban of public distribution on M60's, M50's a half measure and was it effective?

Still waiting for an answer on how anyone can draw a meaningful conclusion on gun legislation when 50 states have different regulations.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM

Interview with John Lott, author of More Guns, Less Crime

Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM

57,306 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The largest and most recent illegal traffiker of small arms and grenades to Mexican drug cartels on the US border is Obama's Dept. of Social Justice and co-anti gun proponant AG Eric Holder along with BATFE, ICE, and the DEA.

Clue: See Operation Fast & Furious
First of all the drug cartels can get any small arms they want because of the present gun laws in Arizona, no need to look anywhere else.

Also would like to see the link about the Dep of Social Justice being the largest supplier of grenades and small arms.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
If you don’t want to own a gun .. it's okay with me.

If someone breaks into your house .. and your only response is .. “I’m calling the police” .. that's the same as yelling “I’m calling someone that has a gun.”

Just remember, cops carry guns to protect themselves as do the majority of Americans.

Also remember that when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

They will treat your remains respectfully, and make sure they are delivered to the coroner or medical examiner.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
"The debate over gun control half-measures is dumb and phony--the real question is full prohibition or not."

I think that is what both extremes in the debate would prefer the issue to be, but extremism is for the intellectually lazy. There is simply no way to eliminate gun violence and, it is equally absurd to believe that it will, as it is to believe that a fully armed populace is a better answer. What we can do, at the very least, is to ameliorate the problem while protecting both the public and the right of individuals to own guns.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
This is what the study stated from your link, evidently your definition of ineffectiveness differs:

"The CDC said the report suggests more study is needed, not that gun laws don't work. But the agency said it has no plans to spend more money on firearms study."

Tell me, is the ban of public distribution on M60's, M50's a half measure and was it effective?

Still waiting for an answer on how anyone can draw a meaningful conclusion on gun legislation when 50 states have different regulations.
Still and again, the study was looking for evidence of effectiveness of half-measure gun laws, and found none.

I'm not sure what your point is about M60's & M50's. The M60 of course is belt-fed .308 machine gun. I suppose the ban could be termed a 'half measure' since a semi-auto version could be legally offered. It's not so much effective or ineffective as moot, since few people would want a gun that heavy (about 23 lbs) when they could have a Springfield M1A firing the same cartridge, weighing about 9 lbs. and generally much more usable.

I didn't know what an M50 was so I googled it. It's a Reising .45 subgun from WWII; I'm vaguely familiar w/ it. In that case I'd say it's definitely a half measure since you could get a semi-auto version of an equivalent gun (say an Uzi). So yeah a ban on the Reising is an ineffective half measure. Where are we going with all this???

As far as the differences among 50 states, one can evaluate a gun law and draw a meaningful conclusion about it just by knowing a little about how guns work and how black markets work.

edit: you can get a semi-auto version of the M60. It would be legal to buy in most states, as long as you pass a NICS check like any other long gun. I doubt that any gangs, bank robbers etc. are going to be interested at $8,985 and 23 lbs.
Springfield Armory SA-1, Belt Fed, Semi Auto, M60 Military Misc. Rifles US > Sniper Variants for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from James Trotter. Buy or bid on this Springfield Armory SA-1, Belt Fed, Semi Auto, M60 in the category Military Mi

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
......................Also would like to see the link about the Dep of Social Justice being the largest supplier of grenades and small arms.
That was largest most recent illegal traffiker of illegal guns and grenades to Mexican drug cartels on our Southern border.

'Grenade-gate' rocks Justice Department?

If you don't like my linked source link a larger more recent illegal traffiker to Mexican drug cartels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies