Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Walmart indeed designs them. they work with the manufacturer to design them. Walmart has to approve the designs of the checkouts before they are constructed. Walmart has full control over how the checkouts looks and functions. Why do you think that Walmart checkouts look vastly different than the checkouts at Target or at your favorite grocery store? Why do you think each retailer's checkout lanes looks different from each other.

Because the retailer actually has a part in DESIGNING them.

Its apparent that you never worked for any company that doesn't do its own manufacturing of fixtures.

My company regularly works with vendors to design various fixtures, for our use at various events that we attend. we have our designs, the vendor fine tunes that design to work for our needs. We always take into consideration those with disabilities in our initial designs, so they are able to access and do things that someone who is able-bodies can do. Our counters meet the ADA requirements and our cash register payment area are easily accessible for those with disabilities (credit card/debit machines are mounted on swing arm attachments that can be maneuvered into position to anyone who is over 6 feet tall, or sitting in a wheel chair).

If a small company like mines can design our checkout counter fixtures to accommodate the disabled (and be used at various events), I'm sure a big company like Walmart can do so as well in a stationary store.

yes many stores have them now, why? because retailers are now asking for them to be included when building a cashier checkout fixture. Before that, disabled people had to write their checks on the cashier counter, hoping that it met the ADA requirements.

Its common place now.

A credit card machine/debit card machine is mounted by the retailer 90% of the time, and they CHOOSE where that can be mounted. That means they should also be conscious of how that machine can be accessed by those with a disability.
Provide proof please because I have seen those check pull outs at several major retailers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 PM

Just watch..Walmart will offer them a payout (which is cheaper than court) and they will go away quietly and it will be BAU.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No. I'm completely serious.

And before you go off on me about it, you should understand that my girlfriend is disabled (broken back) and her sister has had a life expectancy of 6 months for over 50 years - she was born riddled with cancer and has a host of physical and neurological issues, some of which they haven't even been able to diagnose. So don't get huffy and give me the "if you knew someone..." garbage.

The ADA is a horrible piece of legislation and should be repealed completely. If states want to pass their own laws, fine, but the feds screwed up MAJORLY with that atrocity.

In the words of Penn & Teller (well, I guess just Penn), the ADA is Bullsh*t!
Too bad you don't want to hear about the disabled person I know because I'm going to tell you anyway. My husband spent 12 years in a wheelchair because he was right side paralyzed. He enjoyed going shopping and out to lunch with me and I took him out three times a week. Thanks goodness for ADA laws because in the pre-ADA era people in chairs were stuck at home 24/7---they couldn't park and unload safely, find zero step entryways to public buildings, or find accessible bathrooms, etc. ADA laws are not "horrible" and one day you might learn that up close and personal. Then you'll be glad they are in place. A disabled person can figure out "work-arounds" for a lot of situations but with access to public buildings and bathrooms they shouldn't have to and as our population ages, it's even more important than it used to be. That is unless you want the baby boomers all shoved into costly nursing homes years before they really need to be there just because they can't go to stores to buy toilet paper, bread and other necessities of life.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:16 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
So you chug around wallyworld on your scooter and load up the cart with pork and beans and doritos then head for the checkout with your lawyer and reach for the swipe and oops we'll see you in court. Ok now it's off to the pool. Hey lookie here John Edwards there isn't a hoist attached to plop my fat arse into the water see you in court. Whew rough day at work. I better get home and suck down a case of mountain dew and if I'm lucky I can upgrade my wheelchair with my cut. Hey is springer on?? Yep today was a good day.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Provide proof please because I have seen those check pull outs at several major retailers.
are you purposefully being obtuse?

can you please show us another retailer, that uses the EXACT same design and make, down the the finest detail, nail and screw, of checkout counter that Walmart uses?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So have I. And what law states that you have to pay with a credit card swipe and punch in your pin. Can't reach into your pocket and hand em cash? Oh wait maybe they haven't sued the banks yet because they can't reach the ATM machine to get any cash. Must be it.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM

640 posts, read 717,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So you chug around wallyworld on your scooter and load up the cart with pork and beans and doritos then head for the checkout with your lawyer and reach for the swipe and oops we'll see you in court. Ok now it's off to the pool. Hey lookie here John Edwards there isn't a hoist attached to plop my fat arse into the water see you in court. Whew rough day at work. I better get home and suck down a case of mountain dew and if I'm lucky I can upgrade my wheelchair with my cut. Hey is springer on?? Yep today was a good day.
Because it's rational to assume everyone that's handycapped is an abusive leach to society.

Would you have the audacity or the courage to say these words to a member of the Armed Forces who'd been disabled in the line of duty?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Disability rights advocates filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday against Wal-Mart Stores Inc., claiming the retail giant refuses to make payment machines accessible to customers who use wheelchairs and scooters.

The plaintiffs allege that Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart knowingly placed point-of-sale terminals beyond the reach of disabled customers at many of its more than 200 stores in California — in violation of state law and the U.S. Americans with Disabilities Act.

Wal-Mart sued by disabled over payment machines: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money
Is this the fat people in scooters who frequent wal mart or real legit disabled?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:29 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,907 times
I don't like those machines, never use them. They take jobs away. Don't use ATMs either

Old 07-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
are you purposefully being obtuse?

can you please show us another retailer, that uses the EXACT same design and make, down the the finest detail, nail and screw, of checkout counter that Walmart uses?
HEB (food supermarket) has those check pullouts and has had them for years because when my son was younger he always fiddled with them while we were on line. And this was years before self-checkouts.

Walmart doesn't make their own equipment any more than any other retailer. They buy them from the mfg and install them.
And if you want exported then there's about 700 others to choose from on alibaba that come from China.

Here ya go..check writing shelves:
http://www.panoston.com/node/156

They are a mfg of supermarket/retail equipment..buy your pieces and put them together.
http://www.panoston.com/shop/home.php?cat=23

Last edited by HappyTexan; 07-26-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies