Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Vancouver, BC (AHN) - A north Vancouver condo owner is taking her neighbor to the British Columbia Supreme court for smoking cigarettes on her own patio, which is located beneath the plaintiff's apartment.

Maureen Nicholson claims her neighbor's 10 cigarette-a-day habit causes "toxic, noxious, carcinogenic and pungent smoke" to enter her home. She says she has asked her neighbor to stop smoking and has complained to the condominium council in the building.

Nicholson says she has counted 275 occasions on which cigarette smoke has entered her unit and it causes her unnecessary stress and it disrupts her sleep.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007444269 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 08:27 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Vancouver, BC (AHN) - A north Vancouver condo owner is taking her neighbor to the British Columbia Supreme court for smoking cigarettes on her own patio, which is located beneath the plaintiff's apartment.

Maureen Nicholson claims her neighbor's 10 cigarette-a-day habit causes "toxic, noxious, carcinogenic and pungent smoke" to enter her home. She says she has asked her neighbor to stop smoking and has complained to the condominium council in the building.

Nicholson says she has counted 275 occasions on which cigarette smoke has entered her unit and it causes her unnecessary stress and it disrupts her sleep.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007444269 (broken link)

Sounds like a catfight to me.

Three words... CLOSE THE WINDOW

It's also nice to see that Canada has just as big an ***hole population as we do, lol. At least I know we're not entirely alone in the world.

~T

Old 05-25-2007, 08:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
That's disgusting!!! Too bad that crabby woman doesn't have something better to do then whine about her neighbor's smoke.

If I were the smoker in this situation, I'd look for a way to countersue. Maybe something like "My neighbor is so obese that it hurts my eyesight when I have to look at her."

Old 05-25-2007, 09:07 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Three words... CLOSE THE WINDOW
I think the lady who smokes should do that, just like someone who makes noise should keep their windows closed to keep the noise from disturbing the neighborhood. The upstairs lady has a right to clean air, but because the rules allow the lady to smoke on her patio, she will not win her case. The beyahtch downstairs should've been nicer and taken her disgusting habit indoors. That's not too much to ask considering it's a condominium complex where the infrastructure is shared.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I think the lady who smokes should do that, just like someone who makes noise should keep their windows closed to keep the noise from disturbing the neighborhood. The upstairs lady has a right to clean air, but because the rules allow the lady to smoke on her patio, she will not win her case. The beyahtch downstairs should've been nicer and taken her disgusting habit indoors. That's not too much to ask considering it's a condominium complex where the infrastructure is shared.
If you are bothered by someone smoking a cigarette, outside, one floor down, then you probably should just swallow the cyanide tablet now.

The lack of education, and plethora of misinformation surrounding second hand smoke is ridiculous. You people seem to think it's the cause for every health issue from the plague to hang-nails. The nutbag woman upstairs is probably in ten times more danger from idling her car in the morning than someone smoking a cigarette outside. She's also in a lot more danger from someone barbecuing on their patio, which I'm sure a LARGE percentage of the residents do.

"Take her habit indoors", lol. Where do you want us lady? In the house, out of the house, in the building, on the sidewalk, etc, etc, etc? I remember the last time a woman said to me in public "Why don't you put that out?" in a nasty way. I blew a nice big cloud of smoke in her face and told her to ask me nicely while pointing to a specific region of my body.

If a guy actually had the stones to say that to me in public, I'd just slap'em silly, lol.

....and the woman who asked me to put it out? The mensa candidate was standing less than 5 feet from a BUS EXHAUST when saying it to me, while online to get coffee from a STREET VENDOR. Her comment was not only rude and obnoxious, it was ridiculous considering the surroundings. "Why don't you put that out?" lol. The same reason I don't light up in Starbucks. It's ALLOWED on the street, but it's not allowed there. You people won the battle, and exiled us to the streets when we light up. I'm not about to take any crap from non-smokers while standing outside smoking, and frankly I'm no longer interested in being nice about it.

We let you have everything else, leave us alone when we're outside.

~TT

Old 05-26-2007, 01:48 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
YapCity, that you would purposefully blow smoke in someone's face or physically threaten them is pretty scary. Are you in anger management? As a person who has never smoked and who has seen several relatives die from smoking, I have to say that I get an immediate headache when I come in contact with cigarettes. In fact, I can smell the cigarette in the car in front of me when I'm on the freeway. I have every right to speak up and no threat is going to dissuade me. While I agree that there are many other serious risks in life, as long as I continue to breathe I will do whatever necessary to minimize them rather than rationalize them. Seems to me you're measuring everybody else's risks while ignoring your own. That is your choice, just as it is mine to demand that any chosen risk I come in contact with is mitigated.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 05-26-2007 at 02:01 AM..

Old 05-26-2007, 02:08 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
Quote:
If you are bothered by someone smoking a cigarette, outside, one floor down, then you probably should just swallow the cyanide tablet now.

The lack of education, and plethora of misinformation surrounding second hand smoke is ridiculous. You people seem to think it's the cause for every health issue from the plague to hang-nails. The nutbag woman upstairs is probably in ten times more danger from idling her car in the morning than someone smoking a cigarette outside. She's also in a lot more danger from someone barbecuing on their patio, which I'm sure a LARGE percentage of the residents do.

"Take her habit indoors", lol. Where do you want us lady? In the house, out of the house, in the building, on the sidewalk, etc, etc, etc? I remember the last time a woman said to me in public "Why don't you put that out?" in a nasty way. I blew a nice big cloud of smoke in her face and told her to ask me nicely while pointing to a specific region of my body.

If a guy actually had the stones to say that to me in public, I'd just slap'em silly, lol.

....and the woman who asked me to put it out? The mensa candidate was standing less than 5 feet from a BUS EXHAUST when saying it to me, while online to get coffee from a STREET VENDOR. Her comment was not only rude and obnoxious, it was ridiculous considering the surroundings. "Why don't you put that out?" lol. The same reason I don't light up in Starbucks. It's ALLOWED on the street, but it's not allowed there. You people won the battle, and exiled us to the streets when we light up. I'm not about to take any crap from non-smokers while standing outside smoking, and frankly I'm no longer interested in being nice about it.

~TT

rep points for you, I couldn't agree more. Some of the non-smokers are starting to carry this BS a little too far.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
YapCity, that you would purposefully blow smoke in someone's face or physically threaten them is pretty scary. Are you in anger management? As a person who has never smoked and who has seen several relatives die from smoking, I have to say that I get an immediate headache when I come in contact with cigarettes. In fact, I can smell the cigarette in the car in front of me when I'm on the freeway. I have every right to speak up and no threat is going to dissuade me. While I agree that there are many other serious risks in life, as long as I continue to breathe I will do whatever necessary to minimize them rather than rationalize them. Seems to me you're measuring everybody else's risks while ignoring your own. That is your choice, just as it is mine to demand that any chosen risk I come in contact with is mitigated.
So as someone who gets an "immediate headache", would you walk up to someone on the street who was smoking and ask them to put it out? Why would you even go near them in the first place?

Anger management? See that's the problem with you people. You think that it's perfectly fine to say anything you wish to a smoker, without consequence. We should just quietly accept it, and respect your wishes, right? I don't think so.

Yeah, if a guy came up to me and said that, lol, I would probably give'em a stooge slap. Women, well doing what that woman did was extremely disrespectful, but thankfully rare. I was standing there, minding my own business, having a cigarette when she decided to come up and tell me I should put it out. So what better way to respond to extreme disrespect, than with extreme disrespect? I'll say it again, I had not moved. If she was not in my face, I would not have been able to blow smoke in hers. Easy fix, MYOB and stay away from me.

One thing I always do when lighting up outside is walk to an area that gives me at least 20 feet of open space in every direction. Usually more, because I enjoy the silence. If you've walked into the area after I've lit up, too bad. If you walk into that area and start telling me what to do, lol, I'm just going to respond with the most vulgar and offensive response I can think of.

The way to avoid all this is to respect others. I respect non-smokers as much as possible. I expect the same level of respect in return. Unfortunately, I never seem to get it. It's almost socially acceptable to attack smokers these days. I'm just saying I'm not one of those smokers. I will respond to your attacks, and you will not like it.

~T

Old 05-26-2007, 10:28 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:

~TT
LOL Yap!! I agree, where else are smokers supposed to go??? First people whine about it indoors - fine, so we'll go outside... now they're whining about it outside, so I'm sorry, but GAME OVER. Until the government decides to make tobacco illegal, it's our right to enjoy a cigarette outside if we choose. Most people have legs, so use them & walk a few feet downwind...

I'm usually the most considerate smoker ever, but even I have a breaking point when it comes to this issue - especially in California, where people act like they'll die of cancer from one cloud of smoke. And like you said, these same people are driving/inhaling SUV exhaust, smog, and other things that actually WILL harm you. Oy vey.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:33 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Well, people ignore my health when they wear heavy perfume/cologne, which gives ME an instant headache & allergy attack... but I guess only smokers are expected to worry about everyone else's health. The day people stop buying Hummers that spit out toxins, and stop driving them like reckless maniacs (a truly life-threatening problem, especially in this town), I'll put away my smokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies