Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government control the sale of machine guns
No, guns should be available to the average citizen 66 51.56%
Yes, machine guns should not be accessible to citizens 62 48.44%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
An AK-47 isn't a machine gun - so your thread fails right off the bat.

Furthermore - an M-60(which is a machine gun) is legal to own in the United States as is an AK-47(a semi-automatic rifle).

So - what is the point of the thread?
AK-47's are available in full auto. Aren't fully automatic weapons machine guns, I'm not familiar but I thought they were, or at least sub-machine guns. I also thought machine guns were illegal in many places.

AK-47 Full Auto - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
AK-47's are available in full auto. Aren't fully automatic weapons machine guns, I'm not familiar but I thought they were, or at least sub-machine guns. I also thought machine guns were illegal in many places.

AK-47 Full Auto - YouTube
OK one more time.
An AK47 variant(as in the vid) that has full auto capabilitys is an ASSUALT RIFLE. it is capable of fireing both FA and SA
Modern Firearms - Assault Rifles

While it is possible to own one of these in certian states it is very, very expensive

Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OK one more time.
An AK47 variant(as in the vid) that has full auto capabilitys is an ASSUALT RIFLE. it is capable of fireing both FA and SA

While it is possible to own one of these in certian states it is very, very expensive
And is taxed at $200.00 by the feds, you have to pass a difficult back ground check and be approved by the Chief of Police in your town in writting, and these guns are usually owned by some company and not the shooter.

There are only 3 occasions where this tpe of gun was used in crime and of these 3 two were bad cops!

lets us ban cops why don't we.....

Old 08-06-2012, 01:04 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OK one more time.

Didn't I just say that AK-47's are capable of full automatic firing? Aren't fully automatic rifles machine guns or sub-machine guns??

Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
If assault rifles only belong on the battlefield, why are police and DHS allowed to have them?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM

385 posts, read 615,344 times
Quote:
Didn't I just say that AK-47's are capable of full automatic firing?
Not all AK47's are fully automatic, most in the US will be semi-auto only.
A legally transferrable full-auto AK47 is running around $15,000-18,000 depending on manufacturer and condition.
A semi-auto can be had for under $1000.

Quote:
Aren't fully automatic rifles machine guns or sub-machine guns??
A machine gun is typically a full-automatic rifle.
A sub-machine gun shoots pistol calibers, not rifle calibers.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Didn't I just say that AK-47's are capable of full automatic firing? Aren't fully automatic rifles machine guns or sub-machine guns??
Nope....
machine gun - Definition of machine gun - Online Dictionary from Datasegment.com
Machine gun, a breech-loading gun or a group of such guns,
mounted on a carriage or other holder, and having a
reservoir containing cartridges which are loaded into the
gun or guns and fired in rapid succession. In earlier
models, such as the Gatling gun, the cartridges were
loaded by machinery operated by turning a crank. In modern
versions the loading of cartidges is accomplished by
levers operated by the recoil of the explosion driving the
bullet, or by the pressure of gas within the barrel.
Several hundred shots can be fired in a minute by such
weapons, with accurate aim. The Gatling gun, Gardner
gun, Hotchkiss gun, and Nordenfelt gun, named for
their inventors, and the French mitrailleuse, are
machine guns.

And this..
Sub-machine gun - Definition | WordIQ.com
A submachine gun is a firearm which combines the automatic fire of a machine gun with the ammunition of a pistol, and is between the two in weight and size. They were developed at the end of WWI as a consequence of trench warfare, rose to prominence as a front-line and commando weapon during WWII, and are now widely used by police and paramilitary organisations. They are ideal for close-range combat in enclosed, urban environments, where a weapon's range and accuracy is less important than the ability to easily and instinctively spray a target with bullets. Conversely, submachine guns lack long-range power and accuracy, limiting their use in the ope

I have one of each if you photos......

Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
This thread has so much misinformation.

Machine guns, any firearm capable of firing automatically, has been HEAVILY regulated ever since Gun Control Act of 1968. Today the availability of machine guns is very scarce and the cost and hassle of getting one is sky high.

All the so-called "assault rifles" we see today are nothing but semi-automatic rifles or machine gun lookalike. They do not function as a machine gun. They are glorified deer rifles, many of them having the same actions.

Statistically speaking, crimes committed with rifles are very few. Banning all "assault rifles" wouldn't make a dent.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I don't mind reasonable restrictions on people, such as restrictions on felons. But I don't think the 2nd Amendment allows for restrictions on types of arms.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This thread has so much misinformation.

Machine guns, any firearm capable of firing automatically, has been HEAVILY regulated ever since Gun Control Act of 1968. Today the availability of machine guns is very scarce and the cost and hassle of getting one is sky high.

All the so-called "assault rifles" we see today are nothing but semi-automatic rifles or machine gun lookalike. They do not function as a machine gun. They are glorified deer rifles, many of them having the same actions.

Statistically speaking, crimes committed with rifles are very few. Banning all "assault rifles" wouldn't make a dent.
I would not call a semi-auto M16 or AK47 with 30 rounds a deer rifle nor would I call them nothing but a semi. I don't think their normal use would be hunting animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies