Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the theory of evolution based on science?
You're kidding, right? Yes. 79 65.83%
No. I have data to prove otherwise. 4 3.33%
No. I just "feel" it's wrong. Birds don't sprout from rocks. 5 4.17%
Do. Not. Care. 8 6.67%
Oh God, not this @#%# again. 43 35.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:01 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times

Advertisements

Saw this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The theory of evolution isn't based on science.
From this thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=25383177
and I wondered. How many people actually believe that?
So, I figured I'd take a poll and see.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,996 times
Default They're proud of their ignorance

For some people, their ignorance is their most prized possession. And they'll fight like hell to keep it.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:04 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
You're kidding, right?

Science is the study of unforseen forces in nature, sometimes. Much like evolution. Hell we can see evolutionary changes between ancient humans, and modern humans, mainly the shrinking of the appendix, which was much larger in our ancestors because of the raw meat that they were eating.

But when have facts stopped people from debating science.

And its the Theory of evolution, not the theory. There is a difference in science, friend. Kind of like the Theory of gravity, or Einsteins Theory of general relativity.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Saw this

From this thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=25383177
and I wondered. How many people actually believe that?
So, I figured I'd take a poll and see.

The theory of evolution is based on observational science and the fossil record. That does constitute real science.

Interestingly, the fossil record tends to refute the concept of man-made global warming, yet many people who believe in the theory of evolution, and the data that supports it, disregard the same data that refutes the concept of man made global warming. I find that very amusing and shows that those who "support" global warming do so out of ignorance and have very conflicting and contradictory views of science.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,006,384 times
I find it amazing that some people will happily disregard any data that have been collected and discount any scientific theory (without understanding what that means) but will happily believe in horoscopes, fortune tellers, greedy "preachers," and the most idiotic interpretations of the bible.

I always wonder who these people are who see a conspiracy in absolutely everything - especially if the concept of "intellect" is involved. Yet, those same people are absolutely gullible and unquestioning as long as somebody "spiritual" tells them to believe something. Humans are amazing.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Science and the scientific method is a reliable way of describing nature. We need science to describe nature. Nature does not need science to continue to exist. Nature does not need us to continue functioning. That frightens a lot of people.

Species have changes over time to survive in a changing environment. The description of that change is called evolution. Evolution happens even if some people do not believe it exists.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,302,021 times
Scientific reasoning is sometimes a double edged sword. If it is based on a bad foundation, generations can pass before someone realizes what was formerly impossible is possible, but the often pretentious, dogmatic, scientific community will be extremely reluctant to put any emphasis on it, and humanity could potentially miss out on something extraordinary.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Scientific reasoning is sometimes a double edged sword. If it is based on a bad foundation, generations can pass before someone realizes what was formerly impossible is possible, but the often pretentious, dogmatic, scientific community will be extremely reluctant to put any emphasis on it, and humanity could potentially miss out on something extraordinary.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,637 times
Lightbulb The theory of evolution isn't based on science.

Look, people...

With 7 billion of us together on this planet now, not every one of us is going to be able to assimilate reality. There are a couple billion very dumb individuals among us. I don't know why there's this great misconception in the USA that none of those two billion live here. There seems to be this assumption that if you run across a dummy here in America, it's the fault of the public schools.

The public schools don't teach anyone to listen to Pat Robertson or Limbaugh.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Look, people...

With 7 billion of us together on this planet now, not every one of us is going to be able to assimilate reality. There are a couple billion very dumb individuals among us. I don't know why there's this great misconception in the USA that none of those two billion live here. There seems to be this assumption that if you run across a dummy here in America, it's the fault of the public schools.

The public schools don't teach anyone to listen to Pat Robertson or Limbaugh.
....and Detroit with their 25% highschool graduation rate must be a hotbed of Limbaugh supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies