Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,203,398 times

Advertisements

No. Race relations are not better, they are worse, and I'm not sure what that has to do with Obama. There is, however, a distinct divide between those who are perceived to have more in life (material possessions and money) and those who have less. I do feel that is in great part due to Obama, though our economy's situation did not help any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 04:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,328,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Things right now aten't even close to what they were back then. We do, granted, still have many of the same issues that we used to, such as employers favoring white applicants over more qualified black candidates, but there's generally much less anger, less freaking out because a black person moved in, and much less rioting (among all races).

As for Obama, yes, there are some people who are still angry that there's a black guy in the White House, but they've always been around. Much in the same way, we get the idea that Obama is somehow "causing racial strife", by taking measures like, say, expressing sympathy for Trayvon Martin's parents. But again, this sort of overblown outrage over anything possibly being nice for black people has always been around.

I think that, ultimately, we need to look to the younger people, instead of focusing on the folks freaking out over these idiotic nontroversies. And I think that, for them, the image of a president that isn't a white male, will help to counter some of the racism that they may be learning from their parents, and that's true of all races.
I'll have to disagree with you that white job applicants are being favored over black ones. If anything Hispanics seem to be the favored group for hiring practices these days. Partly due to illegal immigration and legal Hispanics that can speak Spanish to carter to them.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,328,873 times
When in the world did Republicans or white people say that racism doesn't exist anymore? The fact is that racism exists in all races but libs/lefties don't want to admit that. They'd rather imply that most all whites/conversatives are racists when that simply isn't true.

I was sad when Herman Cain got caught up in a scandal because I supported him 100% and I am as white as snow and a Republican.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,799,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
This was an excellent post.

It really does go both ways and I've seen this within my immediate and very diverse circles.

Some African Americans have chosen to be dismissive or take umbrage at any criticism of the President.

To be fair though, quite a few criticisms levelled at this President would not have been levelled at those before him. Sadly, the internet has contributed to this as well as a variety of other truly classless forms of discourse. The ability to inflame an audience has allowed racists to disregard facts and further our national class distinctions.

It's sad because, in my perceptions, race relations improved for maybe the first six months...
I wish I could say relations improved, even for a while. I feel like no sooner did Obama take office, any and every criticism of his policies were deemed racially motivated.

If we only superimposed the Carter administration's mistakes, leveling only the same accusations at Obama, we'd be 100% correct. He is following the same party policies (rather than what's best for the country) and failing as miserably (if not worse) as Carter.

The difference between this and a prior administration is; he can and does play the race card. No administration prior had that ace in the hole. The people that were racists before Obama are still racists now. The more he plays that card the more he'll be a target for the racists among us, both black and white. He needs to run on his record, rather than blame and deflection, but can't.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,788,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
the point is, obama was never going to unite this country among racial lines. He was always going to have opposition, so I dont see where he was going to be able to improve race relations.
Could you please put up a link to support your claims? It seems that Obama was of the opinion that why bother since there was so much white opposition. What a poor excuse for not trying.

Imagine if JFK thought like that??? And the opposition would have come from his own race.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,799,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It has exposed how prevalent it still is and demonstrates how much further we have yet to go. Hopefully a few more people will learn to recognize it in themselves and work on controlling their bigotry.
No matter how neutral conservatives are (racially), it will never supress liberals from calling them racists. If there's one racist calling himself a conservative, the liberals will call all conservatives racists. What's funny is that Democrats were the worst of what racism could be right up until the sixties/seventies.

Racist Democrats vs. Colorblind Republicans | Conservative News, Views & Books

That is a great OP on the history of party bigotry and the illusion the DNC has pulled off.

--Things really changed in the ’60s, didn’t they? Yes, Americans — particularly black Americans — really owe Democratic President Lyndon Johnson a debt of gratitude for destroying American families and causing the number of illegitimate births to skyrocket — by pushing entitlement programs that made it much easier to have children out of wedlock.-end

Some truths can't be ignored.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 PM

831 posts, read 681,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
the point is, obama was never going to unite this country among racial lines. He was always going to have opposition, so I dont see where he was going to be able to improve race relations.

I'd rep you even though i'm a moderate conservative but says i needs to spread it round more. I know what it is your trying to say, i think minorities and the likes can only understand.

Only the other day, some white bigots thought i should go back to Mexico and stay there, only thing is, i am not from there or any part of my ethnic background.

If anything, Obama has been an eye opener for america just how far we have to go. With a black man in the highest office and mexicans (legal or illegal) breeding like minks is amplifying the distaste for minorities has been too much of a shock to the system. For the sake of balance and harmony amongst all the skin tones, i say. BRING IT ON!!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
On the flip side, Mitt Romney grew up being taught that Black people weren't full people...
That statement is absolutely false. While the LDS Church did, for years, discriminate against Black men by not permitting them to hold the Church's lay priesthood, there has never been a time when the LDS Church taught that "Black people weren't full people." There definitely have been certain Christian denominations that held to that belief, but Mormonism is not and never has been one of them.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,550,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That statement is absolutely false. While the LDS Church did, for years, discriminate against Black men by not permitting them to hold the Church's lay priesthood, there has never been a time when the LDS Church taught that "Black people weren't full people." There definitely have been certain Christian denominations that held to that belief, but Mormonism is not and never has been one of them.
Actually, Mormons believed that Black people were the sons and daughters of Cain and were therefore a cursed people. They also believed that dark skinned Native Americans were inferior and that as their skin became lighter (through mixing with Whites) they became more pure.

Racial restriction policy under Brigham Young:

An early statement by Young about a priesthood ban in the LDS Church was made on February 13, 1849. The statement — which refers to the Curse of Cain as the reason for the policy — was given in response to the question, "What chance is there for the redemption of the Negro?" Young responded, "The Lord had cursed Cain's seed with blackness and prohibited them the Priesthood." In 1852, while addressing the Utah Territorial Legislature, Young stated, "Any man having one drop of the seed of [Cain] ... in him cannot hold the Priesthood and if no other Prophet ever spoke it before I will say it now in the name of Jesus Christ I know it is true and others know it."[

Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM

659 posts, read 1,015,520 times
Worse than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies