Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times

Advertisements

Looks like their having some issues across the pond.

Hey UK how is that gun ban working out to reduce crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Let the Brits do them. Worry about your country that can't get it's own house in order WITHOUT a gun ban.

Did anyone shoot up a movie theater over there recently?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
Whatever problems the UK is having with crime and to be fair all countries have a crime problem making any correlation between the gun ban and crime is a very flimsy bolsawood platform from which to pontificate your argument.

Gun crime is limited to deprived areas in major cities predominantly and currently the UK has just released figures confirming that the murder rate is at its lowest for nearly 30 years, since 1983. This same article also declares that 'The positive news comes as the total number of recorded crimes fell to 3,976,312 - the first time it has fallen below four million since 1989'.:- Homicide Rate Falls To Lowest Number In 30 Years

It is fair to say the UK has a crime problem. It doesn't, however have a crime problem that's in any danger of rivaliing America statistically. Maybe there's more chance of getting in a bar brawl in the UK, I'll give you that much.

Ireland on the other hand is suffering from a very severe breakdown in crime and disorder and dissident Republicans and gangsters are wreaking havoc in counties such as Dublin and Limerick. Something which makes me very sad to hear but this is the truth and there''s no point hiding from it.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Whatever problems the UK is having with crime and to be fair all countries have a crime problem making any correlation between the gun ban and crime is a very flimsy bolsawood platform from which to pontificate your argument.

Gun crime is limited to deprived areas in major cities predominantly and currently the UK has just released figures confirming that the murder rate is at its lowest for nearly 30 years, since 1982. This same article also declares that 'The positive news comes as the total number of recorded crimes fell to 3,976,312 - the first time it has fallen below four million since 1989'.:- Homicide Rate Falls To Lowest Number In 30 Years

It is fair to say the UK has a crime problem. It doesn't, however have a crime problem that's in any danger of rivaliing America statistically. Maybe there's more chance of getting in a bar brawl in the UK, I'll give you that much.

Ireland on the other hand is suffering from a very severe breakdown in crime and disorder and dissident Republicans and gangsters are wreaking havoc in counties such as Dublin and Limerick. Something which makes me very sad to hear but this is the truth and there''s no point hiding from it.
Yea, well you know..let's not let facts get in the way.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,331 times
LMFAO! So you couldn't take a little constructive criticism in the other thread about the deprivation in the US, so you decided to make this thread as your rebuttal/revenge? How childish. Oh well, thanks for the good laugh!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, well you know..let's not let facts get in the way.
Why not? You live in a desert in Detroit. I'll wager my ignorance there is no desert in Detroit City I'm well out of my depth on that factoid but to try and show a little fair play I did hear once that bar brawls were less likely in America because the thought of messing with someone who was packing a pistol or shotgun after a few light ales and a Jack Daniels or three was almost too suicidal to contemplate. In that regard I'll concede maybe guns may play a factor in dissuading some bar brawls.

But I'd like the UK to leave its gun laws alone. If that's okay with the OP that is.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Why not? You live in a desert in Detroit. I'll wager my ignorance there is no desert in Detroit City I'm well out of my depth on that factoid but to try and show a little fair play I did hear once that bar brawls were less likely in America because the thought of messing with someone who was packing a hsotgun after a few light ales was almost too suicidal to contemplate. In that regard I'll concede maybe guns may play a factor in dissuading some bar brawls.

But I'd like the UK to leave its gun laws alone. If that's okay with the OP that is.
Dude...i was agreeing with you.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 PM

I know I was only messing around. Seriously I hope things are going well for Detroit. My ignorance I'm afraid got lost in translation. I didn't mean any offence.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I know I was only messing around. Seriously I hope things are going well for Detroit. My ignorance I'm afraid got lost in translation. I didn't mean any offence.
It's all good. I live in Arizona anyway. I didn't care about what you said in reference to Detroit.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:

Quote:
Gun crime is limited to deprived areas in major cities
predominantly and currently the UK has just released figures confirming that the murder rate is at its lowest for nearly 30 years, since 1983. This same article also declares that 'The positive news comes as the total number of recorded crimes fell to 3,976,312 - the first time it has fallen below four million since 1989'.:- Homicide Rate Falls To Lowest Number In 30 Years

That is pretty much the case here also, you don't see near the crime in middle and upper middle class areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies