Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 01:38 AM

44 posts, read 35,695 times

Advertisements

Very sad...

Quote:
The rugby captain at one of Britain's most ethnically diverse universities has been forced to apologise after inviting students to an 'English party'.

Fellow students accused Timothy McLellan of racism after he sent out an invitation to the event, promising 'no bongos, shisha pipes or Arabic music'.

The backlash was so severe that he has emailed more than 3,000 students at the School of Oriental and African Studies admitting the poster was 'naive and ill-conceived'.

The law student said he was only trying to make a joke out of the fact so many social events at SOAS, part of the University of London, had ethnic and multicultural themes.

In his email Mr McLellan, 20, said: "The aim of the poster was not to alienate or discriminate but rather to express that this party was, unlike most SOAS events, going to have a more mainstream vibe.

"The choice of the word 'English', which I now regret, was not intended to mean that it was a party for white English students but was rather intended to express that the party's vibe reflected England's mainstream culture, which in itself is not racially exclusive.
'No bongos or shisha pipes': Multicultural college faces race row over student's 'English party' | the Daily Mail

There's really nowhere to escape the insanity, is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 04:10 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Get ready to stick a fork in Europe.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I'm having a difficult time deciding if it's a good or bad thing that the US is apparently not the only country afflicted with PCitis.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
You couldn't write stuff better than this.....Orwell would be proud. Total 1984-style insanity.....but, I'm afraid. not one bit surprising. It would be wise for all of us here to stop for just a moment and ask ourselves, "How does something like this come to pass? Is it some sort of mass psychosis? Have they all gone crazy? (or, as they'd say. "mad")? Could it possibly happen here?----

Very disturbing. Good for a movie plot, but not a bit happy in real life. A society and a culture that once reigned supreme and explored the far ends of the world, bringing science, representative government, and a sense of democracy and decency to half the world, now reduced to a pitiful self-loathing joke.....

Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 AM

40 posts, read 30,561 times
Yep its about as sad as the man that was convicted of revving his engine in a racist way in the u.k i just hope america never gets that bad...we need a revolution as it is now anyways.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
So no one has a problem with this line: "...promising 'no bongos, shisha pipes or Arabic music'."

If there was simply a problem with him having an "English Club," I'd agree the outrage is silly. But it seems to me that the outrage is over how he promoted the club, and the impetus behind it (which seems exclusionary to other cultures which have since assimilated into English culture).

Am I reading this incorrectly?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
So no one has a problem with this line: "...promising 'no bongos, shisha pipes or Arabic music'."

If there was simply a problem with him having an "English Club," I'd agree the outrage is silly. But it seems to me that the outrage is over how he promoted the club, and the impetus behind it (which seems exclusionary to other cultures which have since assimilated into English culture).

Am I reading this incorrectly?
OK, Anchorless, here goes:

Admittedly there may have been an "ornery streak" in the remarks---I didn't get deeply into the story. If so, however, I still think it reflects on the tremendous cultural gulf between the relatively rare western liberal democracies and their deep sense of guilt and need to accomodate everyone else, and the normal "default" cultures of most of the world, which, of course, as a matter of policy, promote themselves, and thereby discount others. This, to me, is the "crux" of the story---an ongoing, heated argument about the "meanness, hurtfulness, and unkindness" of promoting ENGLISH culture in ENGLAND (!!). Such an uproar would ONLY occur in a liberal western society, and nowhere else.

If, as you say, these "other" cultures were annoyed because of certain snide references, the question then becomes--"As an Arab--or a Pakistani--or a West Indian, in Great Britain, are you British, or are you not? If you are British, as you say, then how is it you are offended by the relatively mild disparaging remarks made toward other, non-British cultures? Surely these are NOWHERE as hateful as are heard in many cultures around the world toward "outsiders".
"If, on the other hand, you still identify strongly enough with these non-British cultural features, to the point that these remarks OFFENDED you, then it seem to me that you aren't truly British, after all."

That, at least, is how I see it. These folks are determined to have their cake and eat it, too---to be British, and yet not British, according to the "whim" of the moment. We're not talking about hatred or mistreatment or genocide here, we're talking about some very mild remarks. If THIS causes offense, I'd say somebody needs to grow up. The British, on their worst day, don't even approach the xenophobia that's a standard part of many "respectable" cultures all over the world. They just accept the criticism better, that's all......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies