Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 04:17 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,548,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Is the inference innacurate? Do you disagree with the poster's remark?
Which remark are you referring to?

Old 08-11-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Are you disputing that (besides the Native Americans) African-Americans received a "raw deal" in the US?

You say slavery was hundreds of years ago and I agree. No one living today had to face those horrible injustices. But what about Jim Crow? Do you think the effects of Jim Crow ended with the passing of the Civil Rights Movement? If so, you don't accurately understand cause and effect.

BTW, I would go a step further and say that if racism had TRULY died with the 13th Amendment, things would be a lot different in the US. The years following emancipation, followed by the injustices of Jim Crow (usually perpetrated by police officers, judges, etc) has caused a lot of distrust between some blacks and "the govt/law".
If you're talking about an 83 year old black man from the South who never graduated from high school due to Jim Crow keeping his family on the farm and his having to work as a kid instead of getting an education then we are on the same page.

But if you are talking about the 95% of blacks today who did not grow up under Jim Crow or did but moved to Chicago or Detroit or anywhere outside of the South anytime before the 1970s then we are not on the same page.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:10 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Great stats. The model minority myth just refuses to die.
Some folks simply don't want to acknowledge that many Asian Americans don't fit the "model minority" stereotype. If one looks at the performance data for Hawaiʻi public schools, it's readily apparent that there's quite a bit of disparity among different Asian American ethnic groups. Folks in the State of Washington also realized something was a amiss with the "model minority" stereotype and funded a study that examined the achievement gaps among different Asian American ethnic groups. Here's a link to a PDF of it...
http://www.capaa.wa.gov/documents/Ac...tGapReport.pdf

In terms of unemployment rates among Asian Americans -- location and ethnicity matters. In 2011, unemployment rate for Asian Americans ranged from a high of 11.8 percent in Nevada to a low of 0.9 percent in South Carolina. In order to get a more complete picture of which Asian Americans might be among the unemployed, let's look at the populations. According to the 2010 Census, there were 195,436 Asian Americans in Nevada and 98.351 (or 50.3 percent) were Pilipino American. For South Carolina, the Asian American population in 2010 was 59,051 and 15,941 (or 27.0 percent) were Indian American. Thus, when one compares the "Asian American" population of Nevada with that of South Carolina, it's probably more of a "Pilipino American/Indian American" comparison. Considering education and occupation differences, one might be comparing the unemployment rates of mostly Pilipino American hotel workers that only have a high school diploma with Indian American college professors that have multiple graduate degrees.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:54 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,592,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
If you're talking about an 83 year old black man from the South who never graduated from high school due to Jim Crow keeping his family on the farm and his having to work as a kid instead of getting an education then we are on the same page.

But if you are talking about the 95% of blacks today who did not grow up under Jim Crow or did but moved to Chicago or Detroit or anywhere outside of the South anytime before the 1970s then we are not on the same page.
legally jim crow ended in 1965 Jim Crow laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but some people are still finding a way to get around certain provisions of ours anti - jim crow laws. 1965 is less than 50 years ago and more than 5% of the current population was alive during that era incluing me ( i'm a 60 years young - young man ) .

Old 08-12-2012, 05:50 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Month after month we get the unemployment report from the Dept. of Labor. One thing I noticed is that Asian unemployment is consistently low. For July, it was only 6.2%:

What's the secret sauce here? Soy sauce? LOL....ok, kidding. My hunch is Asians are better educated (higher college attainment rate), which translates to better employability. College graduates do have lower unemployment than high school grads.
To paraphrase Mitt Romney, it's cultural. Asian culture is one of achievement and success. Many have impressive higher education pedigrees and many also own their own businesses.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
legally jim crow ended in 1965 Jim Crow laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but some people are still finding a way to get around certain provisions of ours anti - jim crow laws. 1965 is less than 50 years ago and more than 5% of the current population was alive during that era incluing me ( i'm a 60 years young - young man ) .
Now explain how that leads to a young African-American sticking a gun in a clerk's face in 2012.

Please link these two issues.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:

How about the unjust legal system? Or better yet cases like the Jordan Miles case in Pittsburgh or the Trayvon Martin case in florida. The shadow of Jim Crow is so strong in this country even one of the most powerful men in the country is not protected from it. The president rather you like him or not has been attacked on levels unheard of in modern times for no other reason than he is black. Whenever a person of color complains of any injustice he/she is always accused of playing the "race card" or "being a victim"

Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Now explain how that leads to a young African-American sticking a gun in a clerk's face in 2012.

Please link these two issues.
The same way as the republicans creating these modern day "poll taxes" in an effort to keep blacks, college kids, the elderly and the poor from voting in certain republican governed states.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
How about the unjust legal system? Or better yet cases like the Jordan Miles case in Pittsburgh or the Trayvon Martin case in florida. The shadow of Jim Crow is so strong in this country even one of the most powerful men in the country is not protected from it. The president rather you like him or not has been attacked on levels unheard of in modern times for no other reason than he is black. Whenever a person of color complains of any injustice he/she is always accused of playing the "race card" or "being a victim"
So what is your point?

Name an ethnic group that doesn't have to deal with some sort of racism or an age group that doesn't have to deal with some sort of ageism or women and sexism or people from Southern Europe having prejudice from Northern Europeans or rural Koreans having to deal with maltreatment from urban Koreans, etc. etc. etc.

Two more questions:

Why can't black people understand that they are not special when it comes down to victim-hood?

-and-

What exactly does today's racism-light (vs. the hardcore, lynch mob racism of yesteryear) have to do with possibilities of achievement? It is easy for white people today to understand a situation where a black person is being held back in 1945 but to say that it is the same in 2012 is simply ridiculous.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The same way as the republicans creating these modern day "poll taxes" in an effort to keep blacks, college kids, the elderly and the poor from voting in certain republican governed states.
Young black man #1: "It says here in the newspaper that I can no longer vote because I am black. The republican legislature has passed and the republican governor has signed a new law saying that if you are black it will cost you $10,000 to vote."

Young black man #2: "Well, I guess that's it for us. We no longer have a future. Might as well get a gun and go rob a neighbor or the liquor store down the street."

Young black man #1: "I guess you're right. I mean, what other choice do we have?"

Nope....the scenario doesn't make a lot of sense...I still don't see the connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies