Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times

Advertisements

Hmm, guess no one wanted to give me an explanation.

Figures.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Is that the problem for blacks? That their mothers kick them out of the house when they turn 18? Because I know many white people who were able to live at home as adults when times were tough. And nationalities like Italians, Irish and hispanic ones also are extremely supportive of family members who are down and out on their luck or just need a place to stay. Geesh.

But maybe blacks need to pull together more as families. Yes, there are many Asian mom and pop corner stores in the US and you don't see many run by black families. Or if they are black, those shops are owned by recent black immigrants like Haitians and Jamaicans. But if black families would work together more, pooled their incomes and savings, then they could have their own small business if they wanted to.

Anyway, back to me, my last name is not Asian (I took my stepfather's name as my own) and I get offered many jobs based on my job and people handling skills. And not one of my job interviewers were Asian. Actually, I don't recall any Asians in the HR departments of places that I've applied to or worked at.
Most American Black families I know work together just fine. Furthermore, I know many American Black people that own a small business. Also, I really wish people would stop comparing American Black people to foreigners and recent immigrants.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Most American Black families I know work together just fine. Furthermore, I know many American Black people that own a small business. Also, I really wish people would stop comparing American Black people to foreigners and recent immigrants.
Well complain to dub dub II then, because he's the one who started with making claims that Asians have huge advantages over unemployed non-Asian people because of family connections, family-owned businesses and being able to live at home after the age of 18...

And BTW, the black immigrants that I know never want to be lumped in the same group as American born blacks (the ones that had descendents brought over on slave ships). I'm from MA and my bf says the same thing and he grew up in FL.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Hmm, guess no one wanted to give me an explanation.

Figures.
And no one in this thread has ever posted that ALL blacks are unemployed, or ALL blacks are uneducated, or ALL blacks make poor employees. And not all blacks pronounce "ask" as "axe". But we see what we see. We hear what we hear.

And I'm very happy for your situation, except the parts about the police taking longer to run a background check on you or that you are profiled when pulled over. Yes, you are educated and have a great work history. I would not have any complaints with you as one of my co-workers. However statistically, you are in the minority of African Americans. For every Bill Cosby, Morgan Freeman or Denzel Washington, there are so many more inner city ghetto type black men. And why else would Oprah so excited about Obama's presidential run? He was a presentable, educated non-angry black man with a black wife and children, a real rarity and the only type of black man who could be the first black president.

And if you want to be even more unusual for an African American man and a successful one at that, you will eventually marry a black woman and have a family with her.

Anyway as of July 2012, the documented black unemployment rate is at 14.1%. And the OP started this thread because the Asian unemployment rate is at 6.2%. And for the last ten years, except for one point in 2007, blacks consistently top the chart for being the highest unemployed racial group.

Also looking at this chart should make African Americans question what sort of effect Obama has had on their lives the last almost four years. Is it really a positive one?

Unemployment Demographics | Department of Numbers

Black unemployment is in green. Yellow represents Hispanic unemployment numbers. Whites are in blue. Asian unemployment is in red.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:56 AM

Fair enough, but you may want to re-read some of the posts in this thread.

In college, I did two research papers on the re-segregation of the public school system and some of my findings were pretty disturbing. The conditions of urban schools are well-documented. These factors like sub-standard facilties, horrible teachers, outdated books, lack of classes and programs, and much more play against Blacks. I know people that go to high schools where students can take home iPads and have greater resources to help with standardized testing, while a lot of black students' textbooks still refer to Bill Clinton as the current president. So when they get to college and the real world, they are outmatched in every way possible.

My school was %83 white and %7 black. Three years in a row in the month of February, there was a racially motivated event perpetrated by whites towards blacks. Three. Years. In. A. Row. Now, why would a black person want to leave their surrounds to be a part of that when they're only trying to better themselves?

I think one thing that helps us are white sounding names. My name is Jason, not Quandre or Dashaun or whatever. My cousin was telling me she almost didn't get a job at this top company in Houston because, 'blacks usually have an attitude and cause trouble'. Thankfully, her name was Maurisa, or her application may have been thrown out. The only reason she was hired was because the higher up who made this comment didn't find out she was black until after she was hired. How are blacks with black sounding names supposed to combat this? I'm not asking you directly, it's just s general statement. If any person suggests changing their name, then we have bigger problems than hiring someone with a block name.

So you may not think that way, but my point is many people do. And many people who are employers and make hiring decisons do. They see my white sounding name on a resume and say, 'wow, I really like this guy, let's bring him in for an interview', only to be unpleasantly surprised to see that I'm black. I go from a qualified candidate to no chance in hell of getting the job.

To your point about pronouncing certain words, I had classmates that were some of the smartest students, graduated early, with honors, etc, that just happened to pronounce 'ask' with 'axe'. Is that really a big deal?

And to anyone that says, stop whining, I better not hear a peep if they don't get a job because of affirmative action.

Everyone has bad repesentation among their race. For every great white guy, there's James Holmes, Tim McVeigh, Ted Bundy, etc. Thing is, when a minority commits a crime, well, typical dangerous minority. But when a white person commits the same offense, it's a society issue or individual case, never 'typical white people'. And before anyone throws out stats that blacks are more likely to do this and that, stop. Whites, Asians, whoever aren't absolved because they commit the crime less. It's just the lesser of two evils. Kind of easier for blacks to mooch off the government when they put welfare offices a short walk away from their residence. I don't see too many of these offices in the middle of a poor, rural white area.

Btw, I'm not trying to make excuses for blacks with certain behaviors, I get it. We bring it on ourselves sometimes. It's ridiculous, I'll be wearing nice, dressier clothes and get made fun of by a group of black guys, walking around with their pants hanging off their ***. That's cool. A black guy, who has never seen me nor knows nothing about me, will mug me and flip me off for no reason. Just unbelievable. I always say, that attitude is why guys like you end up in body bags.

There's a lot of work that can be done by blacks and the attitudes of others toward them.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:44 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Listen, ATG5, people will generalize but you don't have to be handed a struggle. Seems like you are doing fine, you are handling yourself in a way that gets rid of delusions about race. Good for you!
Try being handicap, or Mexican. It happens everywhere to everyone at some point. I've never meant a happy cowboy in downtown San Francisco. lol

We tend to judge books by their covers. Open yourselves up and get rid of the delusion and you will be just fine. At one point Asians were locked up in camps in fear we would take out 1/2 the population after Pearl Harbor. We humans generalize.

Not all Asians own noodle shops either, nor do we talk like a 5 year old with a lisp. lol I've been hackled by plenty of black people, jokes fly out of their mouths about Asians to me. Most people assume I'm Chinese and am responsible for our poor economy. I realize that I have to put an end to their delusions and it usually stops after I do.

Asians are no different. Their view of any American can be the typical stereotype as well. This is why Asians typically marry other Asians. Travel more and you will find that it's everywhere, it's not just here and it all needs to stop, not just with blacks but with all Americans, this country is a melting pot. IMO, of course.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM

I fully understand and empathize with the struggles of other races, homosexuals, women, etc have to deal with.

The reason why I posted what I did is because those groups of people weren't the ones called out in this thread. It started when a posts made a comment about not wanting to hire a black person based on stereotypes.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
I fully understand and empathize with the struggles of other races, homosexuals, women, etc have to deal with.

The reason why I posted what I did is because those groups of people weren't the ones called out in this thread. It started when a posts made a comment about not wanting to hire a black person based on stereotypes.
I think Asian Americans were the first to be stereotyped on here actually. But, as you have pointed out you are not the stereotype, either are most people.

Not all white people drive pickups and chew tobacco either.

It's nice to point that out but it only needs to be pointed out to the one who holds the stereotype so they can learn. That's a step in the right direction. As for me, I leave the ignorant ones behind me so I can move forward. I'm sure you'll do the same.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Would it be false to say then, that within Asian culture there is a sense systemization that many ascribe to? And that this, evidenced in social institutions (in businesses and such), has helped them be, averagely, well off? *

Now, why are you getting your panties all in a bunch? I suggest for one second that the type of intelligence usually ascribed to the asian community is "well mechanized" and you take offense. Why do you want a mononpoly on intelligence? **

There is nothing wrong with mechanization...someone has to crunch out all the dirty work.
For that, Asians have been vey impressive. ***
Asterisks mine to organize commenting.

* Hard to say whether it is false because this "systemization" is so ill-defined. If it means intelligence and hard-work as per your earlier post, no, I don't think that is unique to any one ethnic or racial group. If it doesn't, then it isn't really clear precisely what this even means so I don't have an opinion either way.

** I'm offended for two reasons. First, your post was quite racist. It wasn't even casual racism, but the sort of particularly venomous racism that leads to real discrimination: oh, let's give this job to the white guy with more of a personality, oh, do we really need another violin-playing Asian with perfect grades at our college....etc. The racist (and inaccurate) stereotype of being robot-like underlies a lot of these situations. "Asian people are well-mechanized" is just as unacceptable to say as "Black people are lazy."

The second reason is the pejorative attitude taken towards intelligence and hard-work. *** goes to this as well. Valuing intellect, work ethic, and not viewing grinding out work as "dirty" is crucial to the success of societies, companies, and in the end individuals. Devaluing these things is a terrible attitude.

P.S. It doesn't matter one hundredth of a percent (the worth of what someone says stands independently of who is saying it, special cases like judges aside), but, I'm not Asian myself.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but you may want to re-read some of the posts in this thread.

In college, I did two research papers on the re-segregation of the public school system and some of my findings were pretty disturbing. The conditions of urban schools are well-documented. These factors like sub-standard facilties, horrible teachers, outdated books, lack of classes and programs, and much more play against Blacks. I know people that go to high schools where students can take home iPads and have greater resources to help with standardized testing, while a lot of black students' textbooks still refer to Bill Clinton as the current president. So when they get to college and the real world, they are outmatched in every way possible.

My school was %83 white and %7 black. Three years in a row in the month of February, there was a racially motivated event perpetrated by whites towards blacks. Three. Years. In. A. Row. Now, why would a black person want to leave their surrounds to be a part of that when they're only trying to better themselves?

I think one thing that helps us are white sounding names. My name is Jason, not Quandre or Dashaun or whatever. My cousin was telling me she almost didn't get a job at this top company in Houston because, 'blacks usually have an attitude and cause trouble'. Thankfully, her name was Maurisa, or her application may have been thrown out. The only reason she was hired was because the higher up who made this comment didn't find out she was black until after she was hired. How are blacks with black sounding names supposed to combat this? I'm not asking you directly, it's just s general statement. If any person suggests changing their name, then we have bigger problems than hiring someone with a block name.

So you may not think that way, but my point is many people do. And many people who are employers and make hiring decisons do. They see my white sounding name on a resume and say, 'wow, I really like this guy, let's bring him in for an interview', only to be unpleasantly surprised to see that I'm black. I go from a qualified candidate to no chance in hell of getting the job.

To your point about pronouncing certain words, I had classmates that were some of the smartest students, graduated early, with honors, etc, that just happened to pronounce 'ask' with 'axe'. Is that really a big deal?

And to anyone that says, stop whining, I better not hear a peep if they don't get a job because of affirmative action.

Everyone has bad repesentation among their race. For every great white guy, there's James Holmes, Tim McVeigh, Ted Bundy, etc. Thing is, when a minority commits a crime, well, typical dangerous minority. But when a white person commits the same offense, it's a society issue or individual case, never 'typical white people'. And before anyone throws out stats that blacks are more likely to do this and that, stop. Whites, Asians, whoever aren't absolved because they commit the crime less. It's just the lesser of two evils. Kind of easier for blacks to mooch off the government when they put welfare offices a short walk away from their residence. I don't see too many of these offices in the middle of a poor, rural white area.

Btw, I'm not trying to make excuses for blacks with certain behaviors, I get it. We bring it on ourselves sometimes. It's ridiculous, I'll be wearing nice, dressier clothes and get made fun of by a group of black guys, walking around with their pants hanging off their ***. That's cool. A black guy, who has never seen me nor knows nothing about me, will mug me and flip me off for no reason. Just unbelievable. I always say, that attitude is why guys like you end up in body bags.

There's a lot of work that can be done by blacks and the attitudes of others toward them.
Blacks are as quick to judge other blacks based on the very same stereotypes as everyone else does, if not more so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies