Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:07 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times

Advertisements

I'm tried of hearing people, even self-professed pacifists, saying "I oppose the war but I still support the troops."

How does that even make sense? It's not the military leaders, or the President forcing our troops to pull the trigger. Sure, maybe they dupe them into believing they're doing the right thing to an extent.

Our troops are not fighting for 'our freedom' or to protect us from Muslims or pinkos or whatever people out there that 'hate us'. They are fighting to secure corporate interests, and to enrich the Empire.

The whole 'Support the Troops' meme is just a way that the powers that be have learned how to silence any real anti-war movement, by turning even pacifists into passive supporters of the war machine. People need to have some courage to say they don't support the troops. It didn't work as an excuse in Nuremberg, why should it work here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:09 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
uh....
maybe

Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM

I don't care if you support the troops, just admit it means you support the wars to some extent too, despite your disagreement on the morality of them.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:13 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I don't care if you support the troops, just admit it means you support the wars to some extent too, despite your disagreement on the morality of them.
I'm not going to admit anything that stupid.

I do support the troops. It's not their fault that we got snookered into Iraq, and stepped into a quagmire in Afghanistan.

Mankind is going to have to come up with a better solution than blowing up other human beings in the name of "freedom". Until then, I support the troops.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Support the troops....not the lamebrain politicos that get us into this carp.

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
I was cool with everything you said until you compared the US to the NAZIs.. i simply do not get that comparison.. it displays a vile disrespect to all our troops which is simply out of bounds. IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'm not going to admit anything that stupid.

I do support the troops. It's not their fault that we got snookered into Iraq, and stepped into a quagmire in Afghanistan.

Mankind is going to have to come up with a better solution than blowing up other human beings in the name of "freedom". Until then, I support the troops.
Maybe they should have been more skeptical, and stepped out once they realized the true nature of what they were doing. And so you're saying right now, blowing up people is the best way we have to 'protect freedom'?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Support the troops....not the lamebrain politicos that get us into this carp.
You can't excuse citizenry of responsibility to that extent. The reason the government is corrupt is because they reflect the ignorance of the average American citizen.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I was cool with everything you said until you compared the US to the NAZIs.. i simply do not get that comparison.. it displays a vile disrespect to all our troops which is simply out of bounds. IMO.
I'm not saying that the US military is exactly like the Nazis, I'm only saying they are the same in the sense that the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and really every recent US war at least, is just as immoral as Nazi aggression, in the sense that both are in fact immoral.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM

629 posts, read 771,820 times
I support the Troops and the wars in the ME. I spend 8 hours a day occupied in that support and get paid pretty damn well for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies