Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:34 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times

Advertisements

I think what Mitt is trying to say is that subsidies to small family farms are bad, while subsidies to the corporate farming industry is good.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
The question wasn't about the farm-bill, but farm subsidies. Those are different concepts.
Well ,we do it different here in Canada and it gets us in trouble with our trading partners all of the time. Regardless of what other countries think I like the way we do things on this file.

What we do is not to subsidize farmers but insure they get enough for their produce to insure they make a reasonable profit. It's called supply management. For example, You can't just buy yourself a bunch of cows and go into the dairy business here in Canada. What you need is milk quota and you pay x# of dollars per gallon for that. If the present market has no surplus quota the only way you could get into the game is purchacing someone else's quota.

This system does a couple of things. The most important aspect is that it created stability in the dairy sector. The price of dairy products is very stable and doesn't vary wildly like it does in the USA. So, the system pretty much protects the farmer and his investment but it also produces a higher cost for the end user. Dairy products are on average at least 10% more$ than in the USA.

WE have the same system in place in the hog, chicken, turkey, egg and grain sectors.
It's going to be very interesting to see the results of what our right wing government has done in regards to supply management. After more than 50 years of it in the grain industry the wheat board is done this year and the farmers are on their own. We will see how that works out for all involved. The reason I included "Right wing" government is that of course the right perfers the market to decide on the success or lack of it in everything!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I think what Mitt is trying to say is that subsidies to small family farms are bad, while subsidies to the corporate farming industry is good.
And you have a link to provide some proof?
I think what Obama meant was those farmers didnt milk those cows, plant those crops or do the work on their own farms. Someone else did it for them.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well ,we do it different here in Canada and it gets us in trouble with our trading partners all of the time. Regardless of what other countries think I like the way we do things on this file.

What we do is not to subsidize farmers but insure they get enough for their produce to insure they make a reasonable profit. It's called supply management. For example, You can't just buy yourself a bunch of cows and go into the dairy business here in Canada. What you need is milk quota and you pay x# of dollars per gallon for that. If the present market has no surplus quota the only way you could get into the game is purchacing someone else's quota.

This system does a couple of things. The most important aspect is that it created stability in the dairy sector. The price of dairy products is very stable and doesn't vary wildly like it does in the USA. So, the system pretty much protects the farmer and his investment but it also produces a higher cost for the end user. Dairy products are on average at least 10% more$ than in the USA.

WE have the same system in place in the hog, chicken, turkey, egg and grain sectors.
It's going to be very interesting to see the results of what our right wing government has done in regards to supply management. After more than 50 years of it in the grain industry the wheat board is done this year and the farmers are on their own. We will see how that works out for all involved. The reason I included "Right wing" government is that of course the right perfers the market to decide on the success or lack of it in everything!
Interesting, our farming sector is totally market driven with no help at all yet when it comes to efficiency in dairy production we would hammer Canada.
Rather sad to see people saying farming in the USA needs subsidies to compete, the rough tough US farmer has gone where ?
Oh, it was a left wing government here that dumped subsidies , unlike Canada we do not have a very large market just over a land border

Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Mitt Romney says they are bad.

The Real Romney - YouTube

Mitt Romney says they are good.

Mitt Romney on Farm Subsidies - YouTube

He's gonna be running our economy.
Farm Program Pays $1.3 Billion to People Who Don't Farm

Obama reiterates call for farm subsidy cuts | Reuters

$957 billion five-year bill approved by the House Agriculture Committee

As a farm owner, I can say that they are bad. It would be better for the US farmer to let the market dictate grain prices. Most of the "farm support" money is spent on foodstamps, which does not help the farmer a bit.

What is good?

1. CRP program- maintains the quality of the water and the soil long term

2. support for crop insurance programs- keeps food prices stable in drought (see 2012)

As far as I am concerned, stop them. It would benefit me, but the nation would suffer. The first to complain (of course) would be the urban US liberal.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Good for the Ethanol Industry.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Mitt Romney says they are bad.

Absolutely bad. They should be ended along with all other product subsidies.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
all subsidies are wrong.

Correct. we should have NO subsidies of products and NO bailouts of corporations. Those are not valid functions of government.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Liar.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
Regardless of what he's saying, if by some snowball's chance in hell he weasels into the WH, he'll be sure to give his rural tea creatures a substantial handout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies