Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times

Advertisements

I just want to know what you guys think of nations such as the UK, Norway, etc? I specifically want to know what you think on their taxation, NHS, cost of living, etc. It seems as if President Barack Obama wants the US to follow their model on some things but he's criticized for it here, so do you guys respect those nations or are they considered failures? I understand America is much larger than those nations so everything they have cannot be implemented here as it is in their nation, but if they could be implemented here (ex NHS) what would you think of it?

Liberals don't speak for the conservatives please, I honestly want to know their input. Thank you.

-BMOREBOY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:09 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I just want to know what you guys think of nations such as the UK, Norway, etc? I specifically want to know what you think on their taxation, NHS, cost of living, etc. It seems as if President Barack Obama wants the US to follow their model on some things but he's criticized for it here, so do you guys respect those nations or are they considered failures? I understand America is much larger than those nations so everything they have cannot be implemented here as it is in their nation, but if they could be implemented here (ex NHS) what would you think of it?

Liberals don't speak for the conservatives please, I honestly want to know their input. Thank you.

-BMOREBOY
First of all, the UK as a country is a total disaster with a declining standard of living and place in the world sphere. They have a massive immigration problem not to mention 12x the population. IMO they are incomparable.

I would be open to just to the discussion of an NHS here in the US provided that we slash defense by 2/3 or so. Until then, we dont have the money nor the taxbase to fund another trillion for health care and not burden the deficit even further.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
They're all a bunch of commies.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:05 AM

49 posts, read 38,230 times
Britain is our greatest ally which Obama mercilessly insults every waking day.

....but to be honest it's a pretty ****ty country cuz soshalism.

Israel has universal health care too, btw.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM

80 posts, read 182,066 times
Prior to coming to US I lived in EU, and before that in Soviet Union. My parents still live in EU. So I have had experience with different systems first hand. The difference is really simple.

It is individual vs collective approach, e.g. capitalism vs statism:
1. Collective is primary. (statism; EU, Soviet Union, etc.)
In this case individual becomes dispensible for a sake of “collective good” (this can be a separate topic on its own). While in theory it sounds good “From each by one's abilities, to each by one's needs”, in real life it simply never worked. People do not have vested interest to produce and contribute, but they still have interest to get/take. Historically all societies with “collective” priorities eventually declined.

2. Individual is primary. (capitalism; US)
People viewed as individuals, thus the individual freedoms and responsibilities. People tend to work harder for their own benefit, and for benefit of their families. When there is a direct correlation between effort and reword productivity soars, and a country is better of too.
Not to mention who is responsible for what constitutes so called collective happiness? From what I have seen those in power (the betters) preach one thing to collective crowd, and for their personal needs do something different. The reason for their behavior is still the same. They adapted collective system to their own benefit. Because their vested interest is in themselves.

I personally do not want any betters to decide how I would be better of, and force me to do it. I can make decisions on my own. And yes US Healthcare is better than EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies