Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Should a married man get paid more because he has a wife and kids to support?

let's say, same job, same skills etc.....
I think there are only two considerations:

1.) What is the salary range that a particular job merits.

2.) Where on that scale do the experience and skills of a successful candidate place him.

No other considerations.

For quite a few years I was part of the hiring process at a very large institution, there were never any other factors that were considered. And I feel that this is the way it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Your ancestry is limited to your parents? Hunters-gatherer tribes had the ancient ways (not always pretty and "humane") to maintain zero population growth and even then sudden environmental changes frequently overrided careful birth controls and created situations when parents could not support nutritional needs of their not so numerous kids. However, since the dawn of Agricultural age that went down the drain, people started to breed like rabbits all way into Industrial age, the strongest and the meanest survived. Actually, unconstrained breeding was (and is) a staple of the Christian doctrine for 2000 years. I'm 200% sure your (and mine) ancestors were not an exception to the general rule. Probability of that is exactly zero.

It's very ironic, we have LESS control over your lives than hunters gatherers did 50,000 years ago and yet we maintain the illusion than we are in charge. Never-mind the fact that we don't even know what we don't know what will affect our financial situation.
Well, I'm living in 2012. I'm not having any children until I feel I am financially able. A dog is expensive enough. I might not ever have children. I don't feel the need to reproduce just because society views it as being "Normal".

Parents that are already living in poverty and having children has to be the most irresponsible act I have ever seen. It's a selfish act.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
No, married people should not get paid more than single people regardless of gender.

In fact, an argument could be made that people with children should be paid less than those without. People with children tend to miss more work dealing with their kids and as a result their productivity suffers and the singles and childless employees have to make up the slack.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Absolutely not! Everyone should be paid based on the quality of their work and nothing else. Having kids is a CHOICE and IMO it's a choice some people shouldn't make. If you don't have the money to raise kids w/out help, then you shouldn't have kids.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
I'm a married man and I should get paid more than other people. I don't care what logic is used to justify it, though. Just give me the money.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 PM

350 posts, read 848,477 times
I agree they should not, however I bet alot of the people here who also say no actually themselves do get paid more. Many employers pay at least part of family health insurance premiums and an employee's sick time can be taken for sick kids in addition to themselves, therefore many with kids actually do get paid more in salary and benefits than they would if they didn't have kids. I always found that unfair.. both before and after getting married myself.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:31 PM

20 posts, read 36,813 times
Absolutely not

Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
u get paid for what u r worth to the company. its not a moral decision its a corporate decision.
most feel they are worth much more than they are.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
This is spot on. I cannot agree with you more.

I've had to carry the load on countless occasions for those that have had " emergencies " yet because of salary I was not compensated more and the person absent was not compensated " less " due to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
No, married people should not get paid more than single people regardless of gender.

In fact, an argument could be made that people with children should be paid less than those without. People with children tend to miss more work dealing with their kids and as a result their productivity suffers and the singles and childless employees have to make up the slack.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Should a married man get paid more because he has a wife and kids to support?

let's say, same job, same skills etc..

this is what happened in the past and still does in some countries, hardly equitable but does it have any validity today?
No. First, you are assuming the married man has kids. He might not.

Second, you are assuming that the married father's contribution is more valuable than the unmarried non-father's. Wrong.

Third, would you equally support single women making more than married women because we lack a big strong man to bring in the extra bacon? Didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies