Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
OK, according to you anyone who says other than what you believe you think to know as fact, you call them a liar in a very roundabout way, but an obvious way.

In the future put up links to support what you call fact or to dispute what someone else has to say, otherwise you will continue to remove any doubt that you are a fool.

I don't believe in much of anything. The welfare rolls have been cut. This is an objective fact. In terms of calling someone a liar. There are a lot of liars on this website.

It is obvious if someone is informed or not about the topic at hand. Anyone still spouting welfare abuse nonsense knows nothing about the welfare reform law of 1994.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 11:38 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,681,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is a lie. Welfare reform in 1994 created time limits. The longest someone can be on direct welfare payments is 5 years and in many states it is only 3 years. The states are granted leeway to make some exemptions, but to say that 43% of immigrants have been on welfare for 20years as your title implies is flat out wrong.

What are welfare benefits, that is a very, very vague term. This article might be counting unemployment as welfare or maybe the Earned income tax credit as welfare.

I am not sure read the OP correctly. It states ""The study, based on 2010 and 2011 census data, found that 43 percent of immigrants who have been in the U.S. at least 20 years were using welfare benefits, a rate that is nearly twice as high as native-born Americans and nearly 50 percent higher than recent immigrants."

It is not saying people have been collecting it for 20 years. It states they have been here for at least 20 years. So I suggest you fix your post and stop calling people liars while you are the one who read it wrong.

Also, there is no time limit on Food Stamps. There is a time limit on cash payments (TANF)

Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I am not sure read the OP correctly. It states ""The study, based on 2010 and 2011 census data, found that 43 percent of immigrants who have been in the U.S. at least 20 years were using welfare benefits, a rate that is nearly twice as high as native-born Americans and nearly 50 percent higher than recent immigrants."

It is not saying people have been collecting it for 20 years. It states they have been here for at least 20 years. So I suggest you fix your post and stop calling people liars while you are the one who read it wrong.

Also, there is no time limit on Food Stamps. There is a time limit on cash payments (TANF)

First I don't think you read me correctly. I had 2 issues. First the title of this thread clearly implies that 43% of immigrants have been on welfare for 20 years and I made it clear I was only referencing the title of the thread when I wrote that is a lie.

Now, the article clarifies the meaning of immigrants, welfare, and 20 years. But their definition of welfare benefits is not specified. They could be considering unemployment or the earned income tax credit as welfare benefits.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The dems are very short sighted and care only about the moment and not the future when these illegals will be the only voice and the only representation we have in this country. Do you think they care about poor white or black people? Lets find out.......
Well, hispanics/latinos are already a bigger minority than blacks.

If you are a politician, you definitely want to cater to that potential hispanic/latino vote. Giving illegals citizenship would be the savvy thing to do - as far as getting elected as a Democrat.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
First I don't think you read me correctly. I had 2 issues. First the title of this thread clearly implies that 43% of immigrants have been on welfare for 20 years and I made it clear I was only referencing the title of the thread when I wrote that is a lie.

Now, the article clarifies the meaning of immigrants, welfare, and 20 years. But their definition of welfare benefits is not specified. They could be considering unemployment or the earned income tax credit as welfare benefits.
No one considers UE a welfare benefit. NO ONE. that is a system that is funded by employers.

So I believe we could safely take that out of the equation right now.

And the only way someone is going to get the earned income tax credit is if they are working and having taxes taken out of their checks and filing income tax statements with the IRS. If they are doing that, it is unlikely they qualify for welfare benefits.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No one considers UE a welfare benefit. NO ONE. that is a system that is funded by employers.

And the only way someone is going to get the earned income tax credit is if they are working and having taxes taken out of their checks and filing income tax statements with the IRS. If they are doing that, it is unlikely they qualify for welfare benefits.
You are wrong. Here are multiple examples of people calling unemployment insurance welfare.

It is appropriate and natural for Congress to extend the time limit of unemployment insurance with the job market as bad as it is," said James Sherk, a labor economist at the Heritage Foundation. "But by quadrupling it, it is no longer an unemployment insurance program but a welfare program."

Rush Limbaugh wonders "at what point does unemployment compensation become welfare."

"The longer you pay people not to work, the longer they're going to try not to work," Limbaugh said.

Stephen Moore Wall Street Journal economist says about extending unemployment insurance "giving people essentially what's a welfare benefit is no way to increase the economy."

Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, proposed yesterday that people seeking unemployment benefits or welfare undergo drug tests before they can receive benefits.

"Too many Americans are locked into a life of a dangerous dependency not only on drugs, but the federal assistance that serves to enable their addiction,"

State Sen. John Albers, R-Roswell, is following up his let's-drug-test-the-unemployed legislation with a bill that would require out-of-work folks to volunteer 24 hours each week if they want to receive a benefits check.

“At the heart of welfare is the notion that government is responsible for the prosperity and success of our lives,” Albers said in a statement. “It is not. Government is responsible for providing the environment and helping people when needed with a 'hand up' and not a 'hand out.'”

The Washington Times opined that with each extension of benefits, “the so-called insurance program becomes less and less ‘temporary’ and closer to a typical welfare program intended to encourage permanent dependence on the government.” The Times added: “No nation can thrive on a policy of a debt-fueled redistribution of wealth from the active to the inactive. Only by reducing the crushing tax burden on individuals and businesses will the economy have the room it needs to grow and prosper.”

Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
I had 2 issues.
Trust me on this, you have more than 2 issues.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:01 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If you are guilty of identity theft, its a felony, and you will go to prison, but if you are an illegal alien, you are not guilty, and are rewarded with a two year work permit, that can be renewed.
What on earth are you talking about? It appears you are claiming illegal aliens cannot be convicted of the crime of identify theft, which I doubt is true.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

You are wrong about the earned income child tax credit here are people calling it welfare

But DeMint, a leading figure in the national tea party movement, says the cuts — including eliminating the earned income-tax credit and child tax credit for Americans who don't earn enough money to owe federal income taxes — are needed.

"During the Clinton years, during the Bush years, even when the economy was booming, we were still adding to the welfare rolls," DeMint said. "We have not helped the people we're supposedly helping. Poverty has gone up in America.

"We have trained several generations of Americans to be dependent on government rather than trying to get them off welfare."

On November 24, 2008 Rand Paul made an appearance on Kentucky Tonight where he referred to the Earned Income Tax Credit as welfare:

By CONNIE LANZISERA / The Brea resident is a member of Tea Party Patriots of North Orange County

Taxes! Everyone pays them, right? Wrong. Forty-seven percent of Americans do not pay federal or state income taxes. In fact, a percentage of these non-taxpaying Americans actually receive a refund. How is it possible to receive a refund when no payment has been made in the first place? It is called the earned income credit. The earned income credit is the method by which the government gives back money it never received. The very definition of refund, according to Merriam Webster's Dictionary, is repayment. Therefore, the government isn't giving a refund; they are giving welfare in another form.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The obama admin loves, loves, loves illegal aliens, and will bend over backwards to accommodate them.

If you are guilty of identity theft, its a felony, and you will go to prison, but if you are an illegal alien, you are not guilty, and are rewarded with a two year work permit, that can be renewed.

If you are caught driving drunk or driving w/o a license, as an illegal alien, or a judge has sentenced you to deportation, then obama says you too can get a two year work permit.

Section 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act explains that immigrants are “inadmissible” to the United States if the U.S. Attorney General or any consular officer who interacts with them determines that he or she “is likely at any time to become a public charge.”

But obama has come to the rescue, now you can leech over $30,000 a year off US taxpayers and still not be considered a public charge:

Acceptance of food stamps benefits, housing benefits, energy assistance, child care services, Medicaid and a wealth of other programs are all inadmissible in the determination of a non-citizen’s “public charge” risk, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

Government's open-door immigration welfare policy under fire | The Daily Caller

That's why Obama is deporting them in reccord breaking numbers. Because of the Love.

PS. Immigrants who came here with a shoelace and some old pants, who didn't speak Emglish and had to learn a new way of life, probably make less money than most people who had the benefot of wealthier parents (relative to the poor unwashed masses) and better schooling. I understand some people are shocked that they aren't making 1000 baziilion dollars and might be on food stanps, like what 40 something million people in American are also on. Or maybe they're on Social Security, which is also welfare. The statement is too broad. Define "welfare."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies