Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Go Joan!!

Where is the joke in this?
I see truth...but sometimes the truth is uncomfortable.

OP, thanks for posting
I really doubt that Costco *banned* her book at all. They are not really a bookstore and don't carry every book in the world or even every book on the bestseller list. They limit what they carry in all their product lines. I saw the documentary about how costco originated and how it operates on PBS a short while ago. It was extremely interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/bu...pagewanted=all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 06:59 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Costco is probally just trying to distance itself from bad rhetoric.

Joan Rivers? I remember her in Hollywood Squares - but does anyone take her seriously?

I don't think so.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Love Joan Rivers, but here is where she is wrong.

The issue is she has profanity or off color material on the rear outside jacket of the book cover. That means all the kids who pick it up and can read are going to see blue material before they get to the inside of the book.

Rivers is a great self marketing person, but she screwed up with blue material in the rear of her book (which is what SHE said in a TV interview from people at the Cosco protest).

Love her very much, she is IMO wrong here. This wasn't as bad as an erection or bare boobs on the back cover of the book, but nearly as bad in words from what Joan said herself.

Sorry Joan, and will try and be at the next show of hers in my area. Nobody is better IMO.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Costco kicks ASSSSS.

They pay their employees well with decent benefits. VERY high quality of employee there and pretty good deals too.

I will be a member there for a loooooong time.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Costco kicks ASSSSS.

They pay their employees well with decent benefits. VERY high quality of employee there and pretty good deals too.

I will be a member there for a loooooong time.

I haven't set foot in a Wal Mart for over 10 years, but look forward to the day when a new Costco is built not far from where I live. Costco pays the highest wages in retail, and they also provide health care. They are the anti Wal Mart, the kind of store conservatives hate (health benefits AND a living wage? )

Costco sells its items at cost, barely making any profit. They make their profits from the membership cost.

Fun fact: Costco is the largest importer of French wines (yet another reason for conservatives to stay at Wal Mart!)

Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
That was fun. I chuckled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Fun fact: Costco is the largest importer of French wines

Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
That was fun. I chuckled.

And you learned something, too. Good job dude!

Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

The issue is she has profanity or off color material on the rear outside jacket of the book cover. That means all the kids who pick it up and can read are going to see blue material before they get to the inside of the book.

Rivers is a great self marketing person, but she screwed up with blue material in the rear of her book (which is what SHE said in a TV interview from people at the Cosco protest).

Love her very much, she is IMO wrong here. This wasn't as bad as an erection or bare boobs on the back cover of the book, but nearly as bad in words from what Joan said herself.

Sorry Joan, and will try and be at the next show of hers in my area. Nobody is better IMO.
Well, you've convinced me. I'll get it on my Kindle.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

I have not seen the cover, but if this is the case of course I agree with not selling it in theit stores.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I haven't set foot in a Wal Mart for over 10 years, but look forward to the day when a new Costco is built not far from where I live. Costco pays the highest wages in retail, and they also provide health care. They are the anti Wal Mart, the kind of store conservatives hate (health benefits AND a living wage? )

Costco sells its items at cost, barely making any profit. They make their profits from the membership cost.

Fun fact: Costco is the largest importer of French wines (yet another reason for conservatives to stay at Wal Mart!)
Costco doesn't sell stuff at cost. They do undercut most. I think they sell theirs at 15% above somewherere around there over cost while most have theirs in the twenteis but like you say they make that up with their membership. Shop there if you like, I do, but howling about how conservatives hate Costco and they barely make a profit is pure horse poop.

Costco is trading at 95 dollars a share. Earnings just jumped by 19% because of an increase in that membership you mentioned to boot. Yeah they don't care about making money. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies