Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My husband IS Canadian. I have seen FIRST HAND the problems with Canadian Health Care. You will never convince me in a gazillion years that their system is worth a damn. The *only* think I can say in their favor is the fact that BECAUSE it takes so long to see a doctor, many issues resolve themselves naturally, *and* that because the system so so very broken, they do not recommend a lot of unnecessary testing and treatment like doctors in the United States do.

Three older friends of my husband's family go to doctors in the United States (and they pay out of their own pocket, even though their health care is "free"), because the care they receive in Canada is sub-standard. One has a heart condition, one has diabetes and the third one has several different medical problems.

20yrsinBranson
Where in Canada is it that people have such long waits to see a doctor? Certainly not here in BC...If I have a problem I can see a doctor the same day....You are just wrong....I also have heart problems among other things and receive top notch care...

CARDIAC CARE | Victoria Hospitals Foundation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Simmer down Canadians. We get it. Canadian Healthcare, good. US Healthcare, bad. No more needs to be said. Go back to talking about hockey.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
My right wing argument is that we cannot afford it. Liberals want an empire but want a single payer system. Can't do both.

EDIT: According to this article being "fiscally conservative" means waiting longer? What a ridiculous notion. Article: debunked.
Have you ever added up how much our government spends on healthcare + how much businesses spend on healthcare + how much citizens spend on their healthcare? We spend more than anyone in healthcare costs, yet have a horribly inefficient system. I want our country to have an efficient system that helps reduce the overall cost much like what places like Canada get to enjoy.

The only thing we can't afford is our current healthcare system, that you are correct about.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Have you ever added up how much our government spends on healthcare + how much businesses spend on healthcare + how much citizens spend on their healthcare? We spend more than anyone in healthcare costs, yet have a horribly inefficient system. I want our country to have an efficient system that helps reduce the overall cost much like what places like Canada get to enjoy.

The only thing we can't afford is our current healthcare system, that you are correct about.
So what is your idea for reducing costs?

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Where in Canada is it that people have such long waits to see a doctor? Certainly not here in BC...
What's your opinion of this?

Lengthy waiting times cost B.C. health agencies $7 million

Quote:
They pay less because they actually take care of themselves and practice preventative medicine.
ding, ding, ding! I wonder how they are able to do that....oh wait, it is called having a universal healthcare system that allows them to go in regularly for check ups to catch things before they get bad, which is much better than the American system of not having good coverage or in some cases no coverage so just let it go until one is in extreme pain and then have it looked at for a much higher cost.

If only there was some way to provide preventative medical to people in America.....what would we call that.....hmm, this is a tough one, oh, wait a minute, how about universal healthcare!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
So we have an actual professional poll of Canadian public opinion or your anecdotal story from one Canadian that moved to a Missouri backwater? Who to believe?
I'll back him up. My uncle is a doctor in Duluth, Minnesota and 1/3 to 1/2 of his patients drive across the border from Canada to get treated in Duluth. They pay cash.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
So what is your idea for reducing costs?
Well if you go with private insurance companies on a national level, the easy way to lower costs (and this is simplified) would be to do what a company would do. A large company with a thousand employees can negotiate for a lower healthcare cost than a company with 50 employees because the bigger company has more leverage with a larger pool of people. If our federal government did that through a universal healthcare system, it would be able to negotiate with a group of health insurance companies using a pool of 300+ million for leverage.

If you ran a healthcare insurance company and a country came to you and said we have 300+ million people and this is how much we are going to pay, you would probably take the deal and your company would be set for life.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
ding, ding, ding! I wonder how they are able to do that....oh wait, it is called having a universal healthcare system that allows them to go in regularly for check ups to catch things before they get bad, which is much better than the American system of not having good coverage or in some cases no coverage so just let it go until one is in extreme pain and then have it looked at for a much higher cost.

If only there was some way to provide preventative medical to people in America.....what would we call that.....hmm, this is a tough one, oh, wait a minute, how about universal healthcare!
But just going to a doctor doesn't really solve the issue which IMO is primarily our obesity epidemic. Solving obesity comes from within a person, not from a doctor. You're trying to apply what works in one country to a different country and the comparison doesn't work. Even if it works in Canada, you cannot verify that it would work here.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I'll back him up. My uncle is a doctor in Duluth, Minnesota and 1/3 to 1/2 of his patients drive across the border from Canada to get treated in Duluth. They pay cash.
because Winnipeg is a much further drive? Or does your doctor treats thousands of Canadians a day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies