Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:25 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I just like bosses that give clear directions, delegate responsibility well, and don't micro-manage. Whether they are male or female is purely incidental.
OK. But are these traits more likely to be found in male bosses or female bosses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
In my experience female bosses - sensing how unnatural their situation is - tend to have something of a chip on their shoulder, or extreme self-consciousness about their authority.
In my experience people who start multiple threads within hours of each other, with the theme that men are superior to women, have extremely low self-esteem.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
In my experience people who start multiple threads within hours of each other, with the theme that men are superior to women ...
This is not about one sex being superior to the other, but about each sex having its own range of aptitudes and abilities. One conversation led to the other.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:30 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
OK. But are these traits more likely to be found in male bosses or female bosses?
Depends on the person. Often I think it has to do with how much management experience they have, and how much free time they have. If you have got a boss with lots of free time and little XP it is often a bad combo. If it is the opposite it is often great. I don't think it has to do with male/female as much as those two things.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Depends on the person.
No, what I mean is, are male bosses or female bosses, taken in the aggregate, more likely to have the traits you like?

The question is about probabilities within a group. The answer can't be "depends on the person".

Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
No, what I mean is, are male bosses or female bosses, taken in the aggregate, more likely to have the traits you like?
I will tell you. I have no idea. As I said it depends on free time, and management experience. It is entirely luck of the draw, heck I have bosses that will change for better or worse based on how much they have on their plate that day. E.g. if they are busy they are great, if they are not as busy they tend to get involved too much. It is the case with almost all bosses, except the few that know when it is more productive to just mess around on the internet.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
My best bosses, by far, have been female.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I will tell you. I have no idea. As I said it depends on free time, and management experience. It is entirely luck of the draw, heck I have bosses that will change for better or worse based on how much they have on their plate that day.
Well, that was two answers. "I have no idea" just means you haven't been paying attention. The second answer was another version of "depends on the person", which is a non-answer.

Let's try a helpful exercise. Consider the following:

Q. Who is more likely to be a vegan, a resident of San Francisco, CA or a resident of Colorado Springs, CO?

a. San Francisco
b. Colorado Springs
c. They are equally likely
d. Depends on the person.

Q. Who is more likely to drive a Subaru, a resident of Portland, OR or a resident of Jackson, MS?

a. Portland
b. Jackson
d. Depends on the person

Old 08-09-2012, 04:47 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Women are vicious when it comes to keeping their own gender down.

Men can be pals, become brothers, but there's something with women that often goes the other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I know. I've seen it. As a guy, it amazes (and kinda disturbs) me how cruel women can be to each other.
Why shouldn't they be????

Men are , too and your naivete about how men get ahead is touching but inaccurate.

If women do become pals, sisters, at work they're accused of being sexist! Which is correct.
Cliques consisting of all the same sex is sexist and wrong. Hasn't stopped men for hundreds of years.

But it's time to stop now.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Well, that was two answers. "I have no idea" just means you haven't been paying attention. The second answer was another version of "depends on the person", which is a non-answer.

Let's try a helpful exercise. Consider the following:

Q. Who is more likely to be a vegan, a resident of San Francisco, CA or a resident of Colorado Springs, CO?

a. San Francisco
b. Colorado Springs
d. Depends on the person.

Q. Who is more likely to drive a Subaru, a resident of Portland, OR or a resident of Jackson, MS?

a. Portland
b. Jackson
d. Depends on the person
Ok

In my personal non-scientific anecdotal experience. It depends on the person.

In terms of a macro statistical probability world I have no idea.

You said.

Quote:
No, feminism is at a dead end. Experience is a brutal teacher.

Women tend to be more honest about these things. But I guarantee that the men who say they have no preference are bending over backwards not to appear sexist.
In responding to this I am basically saying I am a man and have no preference. I have a preference for delegation skills, and management XP, but not gender.

Does this help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies