Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There's this little thing called SOX. I suggest you read up on it.

Lol.

SOX, thats a joke right? Companies walk right over any and all regulation. If they end up actually being charged, they pay the fine, who cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You realize most of the "bloat" of government is caused by inefficient private hands stirring in the pot right?

The middle east wars are so expensive because of government contractors and war profiteers.
I agree with you on that, but even beyond that, there is bloat. I have an annual report required under Federal rules but yet instead of submitting it once on a Federal level I have to prepare it and submit it to every state I do business in individually--23 last year. Each state then turns around and has their own form, even though this is for Federal record keeping! It takes approximately 40 hours per state and 200 pages of photocopying--they won't take it electronically. I have a part time employee who does nothing but keep up with this ridiculousness. And you wonder why I say the system is bloated and wasteful?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's no difference between an owner taking a huge bonus or retaining the profits. The money is his either way. That chair that you sit on at work... is his also.
He doesn't have a job and seems to want to spend time trying to convince people that do that they should give him money for sitting on his butt instead of looking for one.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It looks like the poor people get a free ride in that scenario. Can you explain further?
There's nothing to explain--you already did.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:14 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Not surprising.

There is a rotten culture, particularly at the top, where no amount of money (or power) is enough. Get paid $10 million a year? Well, that's not enough... maybe some layoffs will provide some fluff to stock prices so you can get a $5 million bonus this year. And, hey, if it worked this year, maybe do it again next year - because who cares how many people end up out of work or scraping by at laughable wages so long as the guys at the top can afford their extra mansions and weekend yachts. Of course, they forget that the engine of our economy is a thriving middle class, not a bunch of rich twits who get paid fortunes, create as few jobs here as possible, and dodge paying their taxes.

Just to give a personal example of this, my former employer has been absolutely gutted over the past 2 years. The local site has had 3 huge layoffs in that time, with huge jobs losses among STEM workers. Naturally, no managers were laid off... because that makes sense - a top-heavy organization clearly needs the same number of managers after laying off 1/4 to 1/3 of its workers?! The company has failed to win contracts, spun off divisions it has run into the ground, and continues to turn to layoffs as a way to solve all the problems.

Meanwhile, the CEO gave himself some absurd bonus this past year on top of his around $20 million a year total compenstation despite horrible performance... oh, and the company paid completely for his moving expenses to the new corporate headquarters, because, you know, people who make tens of millions of dollars a year "can't afford" to move on their own... right... It's a joke, and it is killing this nation.

Interesting....go look at the article on California REA program....apparently, the ones applying on that site for benefits have a lifestyle unto which they have become accustomed and are actually debatting whether or not to put down $30-$40 and hour as the minimum acceptable wage thus ensuring their long run on benefits.....and you wonder why company's whack people wholesale???

California is expensive to live in. I get it. However, moves like this do not make any less expensive to be sure? $30-$40 an hour as a minimum....never knew how oppressed the California worker really was until I read that ; ) Pretty hard to argue with the 1% when the other 99% are jockeying for position with unemployment benefits by asking for no less than 60-80K annually before they can "Accept" an offer......no worries though, a percentage point or two more in the unemployment numbers and perhaps they too, will find "religion" and come down from the stratosphere.....one guy was on there bragging about how easy the process was.....amazing....

And you are pointing at the top 1%? Look, it's capitalism. There will be losers....lots of them. However, there will be winners.......too.......to savage them "just because" is about as logical as letting your neighbor's house burn down because he had a nicer one than you....and then turn around and gripe about the your house value going down because of the fire you did nothing to help stop.....or words and analogies to that effect.....sorry, on the fly here....

Truth? Whack unions once and for all, contain your borders, end frivilous social programs, and start focusing on the 5 food groups that need attention......jobs, jobs, jobs, jobs and yes, jobs....the rest will take care of itself....

Oh and yeah, whack Pelosi, she's in the top 1% and keep Barbara Boxer in line.....there's a good start.....

Old 08-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Shareholders are consistently steam rolled, especially if the CEO and his cronies have huge stakes in the company. It usually takes nothing short of destroying a company for a CEO to get axed. Key example, not a damn thing is going to happen to Dimon for gambling with depositors money and losing billions on it.
I'm not so sure about that. I believe the DOJ is looking at him.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Even MORE lies.

Yes, annerk hangs around an unemployment and work forum because he's upper class.

You asked, so I'll tell you. For the past ten years I've paid ZERO in income taxes, like General Electric. This is because I have $327,128 in Low Income Housing Tax Credits. How I got them, is NOYDB.

That explains why you are so against a flat tax. You'd have to pay your share.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. If you take away my money, what reason do I have to continue to employ people or work for a living, if I know that someone else will just put money in my pocket?
Somehow, I dont believe you are comfortable living a minimum lifestyle, which is exactly why youd continue to do what you are doing, and exactly why rich people have always continued doing what theyre doing no matter what the tax rate was.

Quote:
Wait. You think everyone should give you something, but you aren't willing to give in return?
Let me try to put this in very basic terms you might be able to understand.

If there are three people, and they all need a glass of water, one has half a glass, two have none, what is a better use of any one of those peoples resources?

A. For any one of them to figure out how to get a full glass
B. For the guy with half a glass, to give the other two, which still leaves all three with less than they had in the first place
C. For the guy with half a glass to just accept that he has a half a glass and isnt going to get any more, and go help the other two find a couple drops of water each

Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Who cares if they are getting a free ride? A certain segment of the population is always going to either be unemployed, or working jobs that pay some wage under what their minimum consumption would other wise be. When they have no money to buy anything, that is essentially demand that is lost.
Those of us who actually work for a living care. There are far too many people living off of entitlements that don't deserve them and have no good reason for getting them.

Quote:
On the flip side, Bill Gates has so much money that he is handing it out to third world countries. All that money would just be sitting in a Scrooge McDuck vault, and would not be tied to any demand whatsoever otherwise.

There comes a point when the wealthy have collected so much that they have absolutely nothing good to do with it, other than use it to try to create more money, which in turn, ALSO has no demand attached to it.
it's his money to do as he pleases with.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Lol.

SOX, thats a joke right? Companies walk right over any and all regulation. If they end up actually being charged, they pay the fine, who cares.
Or people go to jail. I bet they care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies