Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:59 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,768 times

Advertisements

Im no class warfare guy, not even close. I think those that earn their money deserve to keep it. However, those that flaunt and taunt, especially rich kids who did nothing to earn it and just live off daddy and mommy, are pretty classless.

Rich Kids Of Instagram

Many of the pics prove, you cant buy class. And seriously, just because you have the money, you're going to pay 20 bucks for 2 cokes?!?! Seems you cant buy brains either.

Couple of examples:

I think this reflects poorly on the parents as well, not as if they really care. But why not teach your kids how to earn money, respect, being humble and modest, etc? Why give them everything they want and let them spend it on such silly things without a care in the world? Why not get them to make a career of their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
A photo on instagram is proof of nothing except "look what I took a photo of". You really can't use it as a springboard to talk about how bad their parents are since you don't even know anything except that things in the photos exist.

I went to the site and saw some of the photos which didn't look all that extreme to me.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:04 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
90,000 euros on champagne

Could have just purchased one Rehoboam of one type of champ, but noooo they had to be all extravagant and stuff.

That bill is actually: $132,114

Way to go!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
coke and water $10 each. And to think customers complain about my markup.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
So we should all become A-holes and make buying high end things bad so those people who make those high end things lose their jobs and homes as well?
Kids have been acting stupidly on the way to maturity since the beginning of man. Doesn't make owning stuff bad.

I see this as more class warfare. I would like to see thousands of more kids being able to display those instead of EBT cards at KFC.
When we boot Obama and the Democrats out of power we probably will see in a couple of years more prosperity.

Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's goods.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
So we should all become A-holes and make buying high end things bad so those people who make those high end things lose their jobs and homes as well?
Kids have been acting stupidly on the way to maturity since the beginning of man. Doesn't make owning stuff bad.

I see this as more class warfare. I would like to see thousands of more kids being able to display those instead of EBT cards at KFC.
When we boot Obama and the Democrats out of power we probably will see in a couple of years more prosperity.

I dont see it necessarily as class warfare, but the type of society we live in, especially today. Where its all about "hey look at me"

I agree with you that owning this or that isnt bad. But parents need to do a better job teaching their kids better values. That goes to rich, poor, doesnt matter.

And personally, I am a big believer in not just giving your kids anything they want. Even if I were rich, and I had kids, while Id want to be able to treat them well and not have to worry about things, I would also want to instil in them values and the meaning of hard work.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

I disagree. If it is true that these kids did not earn the money - then they had no business splurging on caviar, champagne, and lobster(I had to look up what the expensive junk was on that receipt).

What a waste of their inheritance. I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money(earned or inherited) - but if I was these kids parents - I would be rightfully upset. Someone worked for that money to provide the inheritance - and some people aren't worthy to be heirs.

Stewardship is important.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
Quote:
What a waste of their inheritance.
It depends. If the income from trust interest is in the tens of millions per year or more, what difference does it make if some tiny percentage of that income stream gets spent? There's a firehose of money coming in; skimming off a few cups won't make any real financial difference.

Quote:
I see this as more class warfare.
"Class warfare" has its social purpose. I don't see it as "good" or 'bad", but rather, as a social tool that might be useful in some contexts and not very useful in others. One thing it can do is help bring social issues to the fore. When Pinkertons and other strike-breakers were getting murdered in the late 1800's, that was a form of open class-warfare, but it was also a useful signaling mechanism to those in power that the underclasses were getting restless, and that some concessions needed to be made.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
And I am worried about how to pay for brakes. sigh.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
I may be wrong, but the stuff in that second photo looks fake. Coming from a well-off family with CLASS and TASTE myself, I can usually spot a fake a mile away! Regardless, my mother always used to say "you can't buy class" - and no, we aren't spoiled brats like these kids. My father worked his butt off for everything he has, and taught us the value of a dollar ... each of us "kids" (adults now) work hard, pay our own way, and won't see a dime of inheritance/trust until he is passed. So please do not let these snots reflect poorly on the rest of us, because it really is the exception rather than the rule.

I do have one former classmate whose father is a billionaire ($1.9B according to Forbes), but they're the nicest and most down-to-earth people you'll ever meet. They actually look more like they live in a trailer than a mansion, LOL. But every so often she'll post something on FB that makes me roll my eyes, although I'm sure that was not her intention. Once she posted a bag with four shoeboxes in it, with the caption "what I did on my lunch break." The tags each read around $300-400, so while it's merely pocket change to her, for me it represented an entire month's rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies