Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times

Advertisements

You can thank Ronald Reagan for most of your high taxes and large government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Maybe we conservatives should quit working and just go on the dole like every other slacker..... I guess i might need to move down to Mass where they have better programs than NH.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The tax system is ultra-complex, unwieldy, and out of control because rich people and giant corporations like it that way. It allows them to pay little or nothing in taxes (or even get money back from the government despite making enormous profits).
Let's all blame the rich for everything without even one shred of evidence to back up our hot air!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:43 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Only a liberal can love and embrace our ultra-complex, unwieldy, out of control tax system!!

Can we please get our governments back to their original mission?
Can you actually show any liberals who do or did you just have an irresistible urge to throw a little partisan mud?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can you actually show any liberals who do or did you just have an irresistible urge to throw a little partisan mud?
Theses On Taxes - NYTimes.com

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...es-at-the-top/

Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
You mean like permanent war in Afghanistan?
Yeah, like "permanent" war in Afghanistan.

Quote:
You mean like permanent "aid" to Israel (a wealthy nation) and Pakistan (a nation that hates us and wouldn't mind seeing our collective throats cut)?
Yeah, like permanent "aid" to Israel

Quote:
You mean like a tax code that (when printed out and put in binders) sits four feet tall off of the ground?
Yep!

Quote:
Is that what "we demanded"?
Hey and get ready to smack yourself again because the ugly truth is as follows:

Candidate Jones is running for the Congress and candidate Jones goes to voters and asks;
Voter Joe the worker: I want the government to go after those responsible for 9/11 where ever they are.

Voter Josephine the housewife: I want to be safe from terrorism and I want women in Afghanistan to have the same rights as I have.

Voter Jose: I want the U.S. to be strong and defeat the al Qaeda to send a message to other terrorist.
Candidate Jones says, "OK, I promise to do that."

Voter Joseph the son of a Holocaust survivor: Israel must be made safe for Jews to have a safe place to live.

Voter Jackie the born again christian: I think that U.S. must support Israel because the Jews in Israel are important to the bring about the Rapture.

Voter Jason: We must stand up for the only democracy in the middle east.

Voter Jack: It would be great if I could deduct my boat as a business expense because I want to be a bass fishing pro.

Voter Josiah: I need to be able to deduct crop losses so that I can keep the family farm.

Voter Josie: I need to be able to deduct the use of my den so I can support my ebay business.

Voter Jet Products: I need to be able to deduct the cost of my employees health insurance so that our company can have the best workers for our vital defense products.

Along with all the above voters that are multitudes of others who tell candidate Jones that they need:
Federally back flood insurance after being wiped out by the last flood of the Mississippi,

Federally funded research because their kid came down with a debilitating disease.

Federally funded clean up of a toxic waste site left by some defunct company.

Federally funded inspection of food because they got sick because of tainted food.

Federally funded national parks because, well national parks are cool and cheaper than going to Europe.

Federally funded help for preserving the some local historic building

Federally funded aid for a myriad of local projects dear to their hearts.
So candidate Jones crafts promises to encompass as many of the hopes and desires as his voters want so that they will vote for him to go to Congress. And if enough of these potential voters are will to compromise some things that they don't want (but others do) but get enough of what they want, they all join together, walk into the poll and vote for candidate Jones.

That is how representative democracies work!

You want to change government, then you'd better start with Joe, Josephine, Jose, Joseph, Jackie, Jason et., al., because they vote for the Congressman who is going to give them the stuff that they want.

Your problem is that there are more people who want stuff that you don't want than there are folks like you that want something else. Tough cookies.

PS - I'm tired of the complaining about "Big Money" in politics. If the people buy into the crap that "Big Money" puts out there then they can't blame government because they were too lazy or stupid to really do their homework, and that goes for the left, the right and the so-called independents.

The buck starts and stops with "We the People".

Civics class for today is over.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
But then they get elected and your Monsanto, Cargill, JPM, GS, GE lobbyists come up and say.."We need this...."
and everything Joe Voter wanted is gone in the blink of an eye.

The War on Terrorism, War on Drugs, War on Poverty are perpetual wars that will never end and will always be funded.
They are "too big to end" people. Industries have been born around them now.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:52 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When "we the people" try to tell the government we don't want something and start a petition, it gets yanked off the government website when the number of signatures gets too close for comfort.

The only time "we the people" are touted is at election time when many promises are made.
Once in office though we are forgotten.
Probably been like that since they invented politics..

Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah, like "permanent" war in Afghanistan.

Yeah, like permanent "aid" to Israel

Yep!

Hey and get ready to smack yourself again because the ugly truth is as follows:

Candidate Jones is running for the Congress and candidate Jones goes to voters and asks;
Voter Joe the worker: I want the government to go after those responsible for 9/11 where ever they are.

Voter Josephine the housewife: I want to be safe from terrorism and I want women in Afghanistan to have the same rights as I have.

Voter Jose: I want the U.S. to be strong and defeat the al Qaeda to send a message to other terrorist.
Voter Joseph the son of a Holocaust survivor: Israel must be made safe for Jews to have a safe place to live.

Voter Jackie the born again christian: I think that U.S. must support Israel because the Jews in Israel are important to the bring about the Rapture.

Voter Jason: We must stand up for the only democracy in the middle east.
Voter Jack: It would be great if I could deduct my boat as a business expense because I want to be a bass fishing pro.

Voter Josiah: I need to be able to deduct crop losses so that I can keep the family farm.

Voter Josie: I need to be able to deduct the use of my den so I can support my ebay business.

Voter Jet Products: I need to be able to deduct the cost of my employees health insurance so that our company can have the best workers for our vital defense products.

Along with all the above voters that are multitudes of others who tell candidate Jones that they need:
Federally back flood insurance after being wiped out by the last flood of the Mississippi,

Federally funded research because their kid came down with a debilitating disease.

Federally funded clean up of a toxic waste site left by some defunct company.

Federally funded inspection of food because they got sick because of tainted food.

Federally funded national parks because, well national parks are cool and cheaper than going to Europe.

Federally funded help for preserving the some local historic building

Federally funded aid for a myriad of local projects dear to their hearts.
So candidate Jones crafts promises to encompass as many of the hopes and desires as his voters want so that they will vote for him to go to Congress. And if enough of these potential voters are will to compromise some things that they don't want (but others do) but get enough of what they want, they all join together, walk into the poll and vote for candidate Jones.

That is how representative democracies work!

You want to change government, then you'd better start with Joe, Josephine, Jose, Joseph, Jackie, Jason et., al., because they vote for the Congressman who is going to give them the stuff that they want.

Your problem is that there are more people who want stuff that you don't want than there are folks like you that want something else. Tough cookies.

PS - I'm tired of the complaining about "Big Money" in politics. If the people buy into the crap that "Big Money" puts out there then they can't blame government because they were too lazy or stupid to really do their homework, and that goes for the left, the right and the so-called independents.

The buck starts and stops with "We the People".

Civics class for today is over.
What "civics class"?

You don't understand how politics in America works.

Next time try to remember the Americans who actually KNOW what the purpose of government is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIv8Q98eG4Y

Are you from a foreign country? Most of the posters here are Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies