Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times

Advertisements

Becawz Jaysus Sayuhd So!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:41 PM

390 posts, read 265,712 times
Israel is an enemy of the United States, plain and simple.

The money wasted under the guise of "foreign and military aid to Israel" is criminal and unconstitutional. AIPAC is an enemy of the American people.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I always wondered why Americans support Jewish State of Israel a lot? Jews are only 2% of the U.S. population, yet it seems like the majority of people in this nation support them a lot. I understand their history of persecution, but other people have had history of persecution as well.

What makes it bizare is that 80% of Americans are Christians and surprised they support group of people that made the Romans kill and persecute their lord and saviour 2,000 years ago.
I think you need to study the history of the nation of Israel a bit. Back in the late 40s the US and the USSR both pushed to have that state primarily for survivors of the holocaust and those who survived in the USSR. Maybe when you push so hard for something like that you should aid the people you helped create. I don't think that religion had anything to do with all that.

Have you read the book or seen the move, Exodus. Maybe you could learn something by so doing. It has become just what we do over the space of time along with the fact that Israel is the only democracy in that part of the world.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM

957 posts, read 1,132,740 times
Quote:
I always wondered why Americans support Jewish State of Israel a lot? Jews are only 2% of the U.S. population, yet it seems like the majority of people in this nation support them a lot. I understand their history of persecution, but other people have had history of persecution as well.

What makes it bizare is that 80% of Americans are Christians and surprised they support group of people that made the Romans kill and persecute their lord and saviour 2,000 years ago.
Jews make up only 2% of the US population but they are way overrepresented in the key power positions such as college, Hollywood, political organisations, banks and stuff.
That's why they can drive America's policy, especially Foreign Affais, in the direction they want it to go.

To make it short.

And most Christian Americans are totally ignorant of these basic facts, they are naive or plain Christain Zionist.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:10 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,909 times
we back em cause of their strategic location, right next to all the mid east oil..it's kinda ironic that a little tiny country packs like 300 nukes in the middle of a sea of hate

Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It's possible to have friendly relations and economic/cultural/academic ties with Israel and Israeli people without reflexively supporting whichever government happens to be in charge of Israeli politics at the moment. This is a distinction a lot of people don't make, but it's important - amity toward Israel hardly has to mean support of the Netanyahu (or any other) government specifically.
And yet we see a double standard applied in regards to Israel. Not once or twice but constantly.
Compare Israel's last invasion of Lebanon to Russia's invasion of Georgia. Both used the same excuse. Russia however had more soldiers killed leading up to the event.
The US supported and defended Israel's actions and Condemned Russia.
What if the former dictator of Libya intercepted a boat load of civilians in international waters and a US citizen was killed? I doubt that it would have been an agreeable outcome for Libya.
Some don't want to hear about the USS Liberty. They make comparrisons to the USS Stark etc.
But the fact is it did happen. It wasn't one single missile attack at long range. It was an extended attack my multiple platforms and all within visual range. We swept that under the carpet.
When we catch China spying we make it a big deal. When we catch Israel it's no big deal.
Constant double standards.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,104 times
Quote:
The jews living in Israel today had absolutely nothing to do with anything that happened thousands of years ago. By your logic, Americans should never have anything to do with Great Britain since they oppressed us in the 1700s.... and don't even get me started on the Germans! Not to mention the Japanese... they bombed us!

You do see the error in your logic, right?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Israel is an enemy of the United States, plain and simple.

The money wasted under the guise of "foreign and military aid to Israel" is criminal and unconstitutional. AIPAC is an enemy of the American people.
You speaking for the Muslims I see.

Get a clue before spewing clueless vomit please!

For Those who prefer facts and not liberal, Communistic venom .. allow me to bring some of those facts to the fore:

As U.S. President Barack Obama told a White House gathering, "The United States has no better friend in the world than Israel," a statement reflecting the positions of Democrats and Republicans alike.

(Of course .. Obama lies, quite often but the very liberal pollster Gallup may give Obama a very good reason for the Kenyan's lie.)

Quote:
U.S. adults nearly four times as likely to side with Israelis as with Palestinians
Americans Maintain Broad Support for Israel

THE FORBEARS WHO LANDED on Plymouth Rock in 1620 considered themselves the founders of a "New Israel." Committed to studying Hebrew and bridging the Old and New Canaans -- the Holy Land and America -- they pledged to restore the Jews to their ancestral homeland.

Far from peripheral, this "restorationist" movement flourished in colonial America and widely influenced the Founders: Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin wanted the likeness of Moses leading the children of Israel to serve as the Great Seal of the newly independent United States.

John Adams wrote that he "really wish[ed] the Jews again in Judea an independent nation." Abraham Lincoln similarly backed the "noble dream" of a re-created Jewish state, as did Woodrow Wilson,(Democrat) a descendant of Presbyterian ministers, who declared, "To think that I … should be able to help restore the Holy Land to its people."

Harry Truman (Democrat) made the United States the first nation to recognize Israel on May 14, 1948.

Israel emerged not only as a Jewish and pioneering state, but also as a democracy.

In urging Truman to recognize Israel in 1948, White House counsel Clark Clifford argued that "in an area as unstable as the Middle East … it is important to the long-range security of our country … that a nation committed to the democratic system be established, one on which we can rely."

The fact that Israelis cherished the same values enshrined in the U.S. Constitution -- free speech and assembly, respect for individual rights, an independent judiciary -- created another layer of affinity with Americans.

John F. Kennedy(Democrat) said Israel "carries the shield of democracy and honors the sword of freedom," and Bill Clinton (Democrat) likened Israel to America, "an oasis of liberty, a home to the oppressed and persecuted."

And for those supporters of 'Gay Rights' .. In a region in which some countries deem homosexuality a capital offense, Israel has hosted gay pride parades and provides shelter for Palestinian homosexuals.

According to Maj. Gen. George J. Keegan Jr., former head of U.S. Air Force intelligence, America's military defense capability "owes more to the Israeli intelligence input than it does to any single source of intelligence," the worth of which input, he estimated, exceeds "five CIAs."

Israel not only enhances America's defenses -- it also saves American lives. A kibbutz-based company in the Galilee has provided armor for more than 20,000 U.S. military vehicles.

While I could go on about the benefits of an Israel/American alliance I will only touch on one last talking point that the Left and dishonest (I repeat myself) like to spew and that is .. Foreign Aide!

Thirty Five Billion Dollars leaves our coffers and goes to Muslim held countries.

None comes back to us in any appreciable way .. (unless you consider Mosque building a benefit).

In contrast, on average .. Two and a half Billion Dollars goes to Israel and of that amount .. Seventy Percent returns to us in the form of product purchasing and factory building!

Warren Buffett's (No Conservative in anyone's opinion) first foreign investment was a $4 billion stake in Iscar, an Israeli tool manufacturer.

"I believe in the Israeli market and the Israeli economy," Buffett explained.

Between 2000 and 2009, direct U.S. investment in Israel totaled $77.2 billion, while Israelis invested $51.4 billion in the United States.

More than 25 years ago, America's very first free trade agreement was signed -- with Israel.

So Libs, Communists and Muslim supporters (again, I repeat myself) .. Get your facts straight before arguing with the adults.

Last edited by MrClose; 08-14-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,344 times
Quote:
I'm not a supporter of Israel at all but wow, that is a pretty bad argument.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Quote:
While I could go on about the benefits of an Israel/American allience I will only touch on one last talking point that the Left and dishonest (I repeat myself) like to spew and that is .. Foreign Aide!
Actually, many of the most vocal critics of foreign aid to Israel are on the right - Pat Buchanan, for instance. Traditional conservatives are generally not big fans of the aid structure as it exists today.

Quote:
Thirty Five Billion Dollars leaves our coffers and goes to Muslim held countries.
Well, there are two problems with that claim.

1. The embedded argument seems to be that two wrongs make a right.

2. It probably includes US "aid" to Iraq and Afghanistan, which is quite a bit different from most of what we'd call "aid" in other contexts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies