Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You have something against Beer?

No, are cigarretes cool with you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Barack "I DO WHAT I WANT" Obama's drop-in cost possibly 25,000 for one guy at the Iowa State fair.

Beer stand owner: Obama visit cost me $25,000
The funny thing is that the owner of the Iowa Pork Chops stand (I know him) told the security guys to F**K OFF, while sticking a finger in his chest, when they asked them to close down the pork chop stand so Obama could get a chop. He said that he doesn't like Obama anyway, and he could stand in line, but he would be God D**NED if he would lose money on his stand for that idiot. The president's security guard, realizing that there was a group surrounding him that was very insistent that THEY NOT CLOSE DOWN THE STAND AGAINST THIER WISHES, backed down. Obama is not a welcome guy in Iowa anymore. Had the secret service man pressed the issue, there would have been a fight (by the personal report of onlookers)- not what Obama wants on national news.

Funny as hell. The kid next door was in the stand at the time (his father is a very well to do meat processer in the state) and thought it was great that they told the Obama throng to go to hell. I have no idea why the Bud tent sacrificed so much money for that clown. Three cheers for the Iowa Pork Producers!!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
That's kinda silly....Whenever the Prez stops at any function, they shut down streets, screen foodhandlers, visitors, everything stops for the brief time the Prez is there...

$25,000 bucks lost...NOT...and if he KNEW the Prez was coming.... he had to know nothing would be "normal" for the time the Prez was there...

The Air space, the Rails, everything changes to protect the President....

At the request of the U.S. Secret Service, the FAA can restrict airspace around the president for up to 30 nautical miles. For Obama’s brief stay in Silicon Valley, not only was airspace restricted but the Secret Service originally planned to shut down light rail service through downtown San Jose — one of the most highly traveled routes in the VTA system — for more than 12 hours.

VTA negotiated a compromise: Light rail would continue to run as scheduled but every vehicle would have to be swept by law enforcement K-9 teams for explosives at the light rail station stop prior to coming into range of the president’s hotel. Rail stations closest to the hotel were temporarily closed.
Obama is just doing his part to put yet another business owner out of business. Want to bet that the Republican business owner has been singled out for an IRS audit? Liberal freaks are such hypocrites.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
No, are cigarretes cool with you?

He is an adult and can make his own choices.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Thank you for that admission.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Exactly. Think of it this way, if the owner charges the average $5 a beer for fairs, he would have to sell 5000 beers in an hour. That's 83 beers a min.

The average cup at fairs are 16oz.
there are on average 124 beers(1984oz) in a keg
to sell 5000 beers you would need 40 kegs.

The Bud tent is open from 8am til midnight(16 hours)

So, either the owner has 640 kegs laying around somewhere or he is fabricating what he claims.
Or ... you could actually read the article and understand that the stand was shut down ... the perimeter sealed off for security, and only select few screened individuals were allowed in prior to and during the president's impromptu photo op. This occurred, according to the owner, during a peak time when one of the headline bands were preparing to play.

Now, it should not require a lot of heavy mental lifting to understand that there are more beer sales taking place at 8:00 pm than there are at 8:00 am, right? And if the Secret Service took an hour or two to coordinate and set the security perimeter in advance of the president's visit which is quite likely to have been the case ... and then the president arrives at his leisure how ever long after those security arrangements have been completed and the green light given .... that stand could have been out of business for two hours EASILY.

I've been to fairs like that, and the large tents can have as many as ten lines and ten servers taking money. I've stood in those lines ... 10 lines that are 30 people deep, and it rarely takes more than 10 minutes to get your beer (3 people per minute) .... it's quick and not a hamburger stand. So, let's say at a peak time you can cycle (10 lines x 30 people deep) 300 patrons every 10 minutes ... or 300 x $5 = $1,500 every ten minutes. And that ASSUMES that all of these customers are only buying 1 beer each. Many, if not most will be buying more than 1 ... likely 2 and maybe even 3 or 4. But lets just say two beers per customer as an average. That would make it 600 beers every 10 minutes ... or $3,000 every 10 minutes ... or $18,000 per hour. So the $25,000 estimate for the loss is ABSOLUTELY in line with the kind of turnover that could occur in the space of just an hour and a half.

And the one thing I know from working events like this myself as a vender, a lot of money changes hands in a short period of time ... and nobody makes more money than the beer venders. That's why it's only the select and well connected that can secure those contracts. That is the premier spot to make money at any fair or concert event.

The other point is, these guys who run these operations have been doing it for years and they know exactly how much money comes in, and when most of it comes in. And it ain't at 8:00 am to 2:00 pm .... it's 3:00 pm to 10:00 pm when they make 80 % of there sales.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
If the guy is a republican...GOOD!

hes a small business owner, IOW, hes got a job. Of course hes republican...

Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Barack "I DO WHAT I WANT" Obama's drop-in cost possibly 25,000 for one guy at the Iowa State fair.

Beer stand owner: Obama visit cost me $25,000
Yeah, right.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
give me a break. A crowd shows up folowing a politician at a state Fair and the beer vendor loses money? Not efin likely.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
give me a break. A crowd shows up folowing a politician at a state Fair and the beer vendor loses money? Not efin likely.

I guess you have never been to the Iowa State Fair. ALL of the food and beer stands are crowded and there is not a "lull" in serving. They have 12-15 people at the counter continously serving up beer. The foodstands are the same way. One would not be able to distinguish a "crowd" following Obama, as the "crowd" is everywhere.

It sounds odd, but the Iowa State Fair sets attendance records year after year. Most would condemn this event as being characteristic of "rural rubes", but it is actually entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies