Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times

Advertisements

I found this article to be insightful. I've long said that part of the problem with healthcare in America is that it is not subject to the same market forces as other industries, and therefore not driven to innovate to lower costs. If people are making the decision as to which healthcare provider to use instead of Medicare, these providers will have to compete among each other and find ways to maximize their services and reduce their prices.

Joseph Rago: The Forgotten History of Ryan's Medicare Reform - WSJ.com

Quote:
[Today, Medicare's arbitrary fee-for-service price controls pay the best hospitals and the worst hospitals equally, regardless of quality or value. Innovators who deliver better care at a lower cost are rarely rewarded, as they would be in any other industry. Under premium support, networks of providers would be competing for consumers and become more efficient over time, instead of billing taxpayers for their current negative rate of productivity.
While I do acknowledge that Ryan's overall budget plan is a little extreme, you have be pretty naive to think it will ever be implemented in full. It is simply a starting point for negotiations, an opening shot. It will get watered down during the debate, that is, if the Democrats would even step up to the table with any budget plans of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
cut backs to avoid a 1929 crash are inevitable. but the american people have been getting it all for free and lots of it for a long long time. the change will be unpleasant for reelection hopes of politicians and for voters alike. the 3rd rail is about to be touched. i see kelly girl looming big in the future of teachers, firemen, police, & managers very soon.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:28 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,084 times
Not sure how anyone can defend Ryan's budget and medicare plans when he wants to cut the services to seniors in favour of keeping HUGE financial incentives to the insurance companies.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:30 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
cut backs to avoid a 1929 crash are inevitable. but the american people have been getting it all for free and lots of it for a long long time. the change will be unpleasant for reelection hopes of politicians and for voters alike. the 3rd rail is about to be touched.
American's pay all their working lives for medicare so it is NOT free and NOT charity......... it is what they have paid for yet it is treated like some kind of gift............... it isn't.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Not sure how anyone can defend Ryan's budget and medicare plans when he wants to cut the services to seniors in favour of keeping HUGE financial incentives to the insurance companies.
Obama's healthcare reform delivered huge benefits to insurance companies. In fact, I don't even consider it to be healthcare reform, but health insurance reform. And they are benefiting greatly from that reform.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
It is simply a starting point for negotiations, an opening shot.
BS. The very effort to reduce federal and overall health care costs that began in 2009 was that. Even with Medicare, targeting cost reductions by mere $50b/year is being villified by the very same people who think Ryan's Medicare Deform is the best thing since before Medicare happened.

Quote:
Obama's healthcare reform delivered huge benefits to insurance companies. In fact, I don't even consider it to be healthcare reform, but health insurance reform. And they are benefiting greatly from that reform.
And yet, it was pretty much a conservative push, including this op-ed by Mitt Romney. But then, if insurance companies are loving it, why have they been spending massively in defeating the reform?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
American's pay all their working lives for medicare so it is NOT free and NOT charity......... it is what they have paid for yet it is treated like some kind of gift............... it isn't.
We are forced to pay for it, which I am fine with, but not if it will not be around when I will need due to it being insolvent. It's not a gift, but a forced investment, one in which there is no guarantee of any kind of return.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:39 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
We are forced to pay for it, which I am fine with, but not if it will not be around when I will need due to it being insolvent. It's not a gift, but a forced investment, one in which there is no guarantee of any kind of return.
I would rather not have it around, and STOP PAYING FOR IT TODAY, than these politicians you seem to be in love with, show up with the idea of it being some form of charity the government is running and shouldn't be.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,677 times
Quote:
I found this article to be insightful. I've long said that part of the problem with healthcare in America is that it is not subject to the same market forces as other industries, and therefore not driven to innovate to lower costs. If people are making the decision as to which healthcare provider to use instead of Medicare, these providers will have to compete among each other and find ways to maximize their services and reduce their prices.

Joseph Rago: The Forgotten History of Ryan's Medicare Reform - WSJ.com

While I do acknowledge that Ryan's overall budget plan is a little extreme, you have be pretty naive to think it will ever be implemented in full. It is simply a starting point for negotiations, an opening shot. It will get watered down during the debate, that is, if the Democrats would even step up to the table with any budget plans of their own.
I think you are misunderstanding some of the criticism of his plan here. This is not just about changing Medicare... his proposals were about making a radical change to Medicare, while lowering tax rates, and doing nothing to defense spending. This is part of the reason why a lot of people dismiss him outright.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I think you are misunderstanding some of the criticism of his plan here. This is not just about changing Medicare... his proposals were about making a radical change to Medicare, while lowering tax rates, and doing nothing to defense spending. This is part of the reason why a lot of people dismiss him outright.
Now that is something I completely agree with. There are HUGE opportunities to reduce waste in cost in the military. I have seen such huge wasting of tax payer dollars in the DoD with mine own eyes it would make you sick. Ive seen them spend millions on software that winds up sitting on a shelf and never being implemented just because a retired general working for a contractor recommended it during a golf game with a major decision maker. I disagree with the Ryan plan in that respect. I never said I was in agreement wi the whole plan, but i do agree with severl parts of it, like the part that subjects healthcare providers to market forces.

I never completely agree with one party or candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies