Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
It was a fair exchange for all the civilizing they did for them.
You seem to not know your history.

Where did the Greeks get a lot of their great knowledge??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

You might want to give this a tap:

Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Are you obtuse?
Are you going to repeat my implications to you back to me all night long?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times
Quote:

Egyptians

Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I guess not everyone in the world has the opportunity to ask for a living wage:

Rising tensions explode into grisly violence at South African mine - CNN.com
You need to read US history.
We did it, too.
Read up on the Pinkerton Agency.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
PBS news covered this story. I totally side with workers in almost every case. It seems that this group of workers have hacked a few guards to death with machetes and in the video showing the police shooting the protestors there was clear evidence that at least some of the protestors were armed.

Regardless, this is another case of the rich exploiting the least of society. With the workers having no place to turn violence seems and easy answer. Unfortunately the people attacked are usually people of little means themselves while the rich scum who create these horrid working conditions bask on sunny beaches. I am looking forward to the day when exploited workers actually take their anger out on the people who are really responsible.
Regardless violence isn't goig to get you anywhere really. I heard the other day that the mines where to be shutdown because of vilent incidents before this by strikers. perhaps its more to do with govenmment o issues of work conditions and violance which is likely to make things worse with no jobs.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 AM

5 posts, read 6,388 times
Quote:
Because Europeans robbed them of all their resources??
Robbed who? Europe never 'robbed' South Africa of her resources.

What resources? Are you talking about ones people never knew were there or how to use?

Europeans immigrated to South Africa and built first world cities out of nothing, making the largest, most modern, and most successful economy on the continent... and now?

Please learn what you're talking about before making such statements.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Resources doesn't equate wealth. If it did, Saudi Arabia wouldn't be so poor. skills and capital is what drives success.

I'd recommend "south Africa's war against capitalism" for reading.
Saudia Arabia is one of the wealthiest Middle East countries. Their citizens have free education, free healthcare, and are able to get a plot of land and $80K to build a house from the government....

Some of their citizens do live in poverty and they have atrocious literacy rates, but on a whole, their country is pretty wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahEV2003 View Post

What resources? Are you talking about ones people never knew were there or how to use?

Europeans immigrated to South Africa and built first world cities out of nothing, making the largest, most modern, and most successful economy on the continent... and now?

This is funny!! You need to learn what you are talking about. There are many "resources" in S. Africa that are still controlled by European companies and they got these "resources" (diamonds and gold come to mind) by exploiting the native populations, kicking them off their ancestral land and forcing them to work in mines. After they started paying them they gave them a small penance and many of the men working in mines rarely see their families and don't take part in the upbringing of children due to having to live far away from their communities for work. You should take your own advice that I bolded above.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahEV2003 View Post

Residinghere beat me to it.

None of us are right all the time. But here on City-Data, if you don't know your facts, you'll get called out on it.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
South Africa in general is building up to have another civil war and they have been for at least the past 10 years or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies