Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times

Advertisements

Not since the civil war has this country been so divided and I am thinking that maybe it would be best just to split the thing up into three or four separate countries.

For example looking at California, the state where I was born and where I grew up in the 50's and 60's, I have nothing in common with the people living there anymore and I am sure they would like to get rid of flyover hicks like me. Californian's should really consider this, they do such a bang up job with their state budget just think how wonderful they would be if they were a sovereign nation.

We have a president that isn't my president... he was selected by people from New York and
California who basically told people in red states to shove it. We should shove it too, shove off is what I am thinking.

I want to live in a country that doesn't have the police powers this one has. Think of it, drones over our cities (to keep us safe) ordered there by some dyke woman that I never voted for. I don't know about you but I find the militarization of our civilian police forces very disturbing.

By splitting it up into three or four different countres, perhaps something like this,

would make us stronger and preserve individual liberty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 08:04 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
People are already making plans.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:46 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I personally would want Missouri to be lumped in with the East... St. Louis definitely has a more 'Eastern' feel than Southern Feel!

Plus, Texas would probably want to be its own country

Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
The only way that I would want to live in the "New America" would be if all liberals were kicked out!

Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 AM

769 posts, read 1,007,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Not since the civil war has this country been so divided and I am thinking that maybe it would be best just to split the thing up into three or four separate countries.

For example looking at California, the state where I was born and where I grew up in the 50's and 60's, I have nothing in common with the people living there anymore and I am sure they would like to get rid of flyover hicks like me. Californian's should really consider this, they do such a bang up job with their state budget just think how wonderful they would be if they were a sovereign nation.

We have a president that isn't my president... he was selected by people from New York and
California who basically told people in red states to shove it. We should shove it too, shove off is what I am thinking.

I want to live in a country that doesn't have the police powers this one has. Think of it, drones over our cities (to keep us safe) ordered there by some dyke woman that I never voted for. I don't know about you but I find the militarization of our civilian police forces very disturbing.

By splitting it up into three or four different countres, perhaps something like this,

Oh God, not one of these threads again.......

No, I disagree, and I would say that the chance that the USA breaks up is highly unlikely.

I, like you, am a native Californian, but I absolutely love living here and wouldn't want to move anywhere else. What are your issues with the people of California? I, for one, love the amazing diversity and multi-cultural atmosphere that we have in this state. Not to mention the perfect weather, the stunning natural beauty and the diversity of the geographical landscape as well (you have desert, ocean, Napa, mountains, redwood forests, Lake Tahoe, etc. etc. etc.). I also very much enjoy the live and let-live attitude that is very prevalent in this state too. Of course things are different then when you grew up in the 50's and 60's, but newsflash, they're different everything! Times change and people, attitudes, and society change and evolve with it. You can't be stuck living in the past or wishing that times would be like they were in the "good old days". Things will never go back to the way they were, it's just better for your own peace of mind to go with the flow instead of digging your heels into the ground, at least imho. And, I have to laugh when people claim that things were so "good" in the 50's and 60's. Sure, maybe if you were a white male, but not if you were anything else really. I mean, they still had formal racial segregation in place and interracial marriage was illegal for Christ's sake!

And I also laugh when people claim that Obama is "not my president". Again, NEWSFLASH, he IS your president. Like it or not, if you're American, he is your president. You may not agree with him or like him, but he's still your president. Also, I think that people should always display some sort of basic respect for, at least, the office of the presidency and just the country in general, even if you don't like the president that is in office at the time. I think it's ridiculous, sad, and, quite frankly, pathetic.

I agree with you about the police powers though. But as for the "dyke woman", seriously? Just get over it. Same-sex marriage is just a reality now. It's never going to go away. There are always going to be gay people and society's attitude towards it are changing dramatically. It will be legal in all 50 states. It's really just a matter of time. I don't get why people get so uptight over other people's sexuality when it really has about a zero percent effect on your own life. Seriously, who cares?

Some of your statements just come off as childish to me. You say things like, I didn't vote for this one and that one is not my president, etc. etc. It sounds like you're saying that it's basically your way or the highway. Again, NEWSFLASH, the people who you want to win aren't always going to win. That's how a democracy works, everyone votes (or should) and the winner is decided upon by the majority, even if you don't agree with them. And as I said previously, even if you don't like or agree with the person in office, you should still display some sort of basic respect for the office that they hold, at least imho.

I think we're starting to see the last of the ultra-conservative tea party-esque types. People in my generation (I'm 20) tend to be much more "liberal" than the older generations. Even those who vote Republican, still tend to be much more liberal than many of the current GOP members, at least socially. I mean, I don't think I know anybody my age, no matter which political party they support, who doesn't believe in same-sex marriage, the use of contraception, universal health care, subsidized university, etc. etc. Now, I get a lot of that is age too, but my point is still very valid and it's basically an unsaid fact that different generations have different societal views and that things tend to liberalize and become more accepted as time goes on. Things will never be like they were in the 50's and 60's again, and I think that that really bothers a lot of people. We are a unique, multi-cultural (no longer white), diverse, and increasing secular nation (always have been, I know, but some people blur their political and religious sentiment far too much imo) and we need to move forward and not cling to the past for the sake of our great country.

Last edited by CityLover9; 08-19-2012 at 11:57 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 12:51 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Blood red Kentucky would proably prefer to be with New America. I would say Virginia too but NoVA is pretty darn blue. Maybe it could be divided into North and South Virginia.

I think the case for California to be divided into more states is pretty strong.

Yeah, that was fun. Never going to happen.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:55 PM

635 posts, read 539,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The only way that I would want to live in the "New America" would be if all liberals were kicked out!
But who would support all the conservatives like we do now?

Old 08-19-2012, 01:04 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Wrong again, Most Americans believe in a United States of America. Besides this is not a north/south or east/west issue there is no true red or blue states and if you look at the nation county by county the nation looks purple. So take your idea and keep dreaming, it will never be anything but a dream for some of you.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 PM

981 posts, read 1,621,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Wrong again, Most Americans believe in a United States of America. Besides this is not a north/south or east/west issue there is no true red or blue states and if you look at the nation county by county the nation looks purple. So take your idea and keep dreaming, it will never be anything but a dream for some of you.
That is very true. People that get divided on state lines are very rare. Even then, how would you split states up? Like Casper said, the nation is overwhelmingly purple.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:08 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Default On intolerance ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Thank you for sharing that with us.

It reconfirms my belief that there are people in this country that are intolerant of their neighbors with a different point of view or political philosophy.

I do not think I am exaggerating when I say that some folks are just bigots who are walking around with a red-hot seething hatred for people different than themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies