Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times

Advertisements

At the age of one your daughter hopefully has a very long way to go before she would be the target of a rapist. While I realize that statuatory rape is different than violent rape, when it's your daughter, your attitudes will change. I no longer have to concern myself with statuatory rape, only violent rape. So when I say if it's my daughter, my answer is clear it is different than for you a few years down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:30 AM

256 posts, read 207,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

What I would say is that you have the child, and it is placed up for adoption.

Yeah, tell that to her.

Last edited by Spartanguy; 08-29-2012 at 02:42 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 05:07 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,371 times
The idea of these life begins at conception laws is to ban the morning after pill or IUDs because a fertilized egg is considered a person. So if you aren't already on hormonal Bc or your rapists isn't in the mood to use a condom you are sol. Of course the theory behind Akin is that if you didn't enjoy being raped then your body would have rejected the rapists sperm and not made a baby. The entire premise is that it's impossible to become pregnant from a true rape so abortion shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Bad joke....

What about the morning after pill?...There should be nothing wrong with that.

But, no woman should be forced to have a rapist's baby.

I don't know any woman that felt good about having an abortion.

Maybe there are some that just don't give a hoot.

But, I like many others who do not like the idea of abortion, somewhere in our lives had a friend or a couple that asked us for counseling or advice...And, we would be hypocrites if we did not admit that after considering some dire circumstances, did not (at one time) fight to discourage it.

I imagine this is true even for the Ryans and Romneys of the world.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And he's going to enforce that view how?
The personhood bill he has sponsored would ban ALL abortions, and some forms of birth control.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 AM

876 posts, read 709,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
Yeah, tell that to her.
Akin believes in no abortion for any reason. NOT Romney. Even if he did, there really is not much he could do about it because he wouldn't get it passed. This whole abortion and war on women thing is pointless.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:28 AM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Akin believes in no abortion for any reason. NOT Romney. Even if he did, there really is not much he could do about it because he wouldn't get it passed. This whole abortion and war on women thing is pointless.
politicians chipping away at women's rights pointless? to women who care and want to protect our civil rights for ourselves and future generations it is very important

Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
The man Romney chose as his running mate and the person who will take over if he can't serve sponsored the Sanctity of Life Act. Ya know, that little bill that would take away the morning after pill and force women and little girls to have rape babies?

BTW, how about asking Ryan why he was frittering away his time and the taxpayer's money on such pointless legislation instead of attending to the real problems facing this country?

So much for Republican fiscal responsibility.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times

How do you tell her?

Well, I quess you sit her down and tell her "God has a gift for you sweetheart."

Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,182,337 times
I dislike the idea of abortion as a right. I find it insulting to compare abortion to women's suffrage. I think abortion unfortunately has to be legal, because if it wasn't, there would be a black market for it. I'm pro-life but I think it should be encouraged through carrots rather than sticks. I think women who are raped and keep their babies deserve a medal. But I don't think we should judge women who abort either (for whatever reason).

A mother's love is unconditional and people forget a lot of rape victims, maybe even most actually love their babies. Even though I agree that abortion should be legal, I actually think that society encourages abortion in certain cases. People should keep in mind that this often goes against the woman/girl's wishes and is misogynist in itself. Abortion really helps men as much as it helps women, it's not uncommon for a baby's father to pressure and bully their girlfriend/wife into having an abortion because they don't want to support the baby.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,182,337 times
With that said, if the girl in question is 12, having a baby is actually threatening to her life. I think cases of the mother's life being in danger, which I suppose could be caused by a rape since a significant minority of rape victims become suicidal, abortion is the best option. While we should value life, the life of the mother is more important than that of the fetus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies