Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
As a note, the hospital was perfectly willing to recognize the couple's status on the admitting forms when told that Simonelli's insurance would be paying for Leon's hospital bills.
Funny how that works.

I've known some same-sex couples who have refused to get married or civil-unioned or domestic-partnered because one of them was on SSDI and/or Medicaid, and an official partnership would have jeopardized those benefits.

I wonder what SSM-hating conservatives would have to say about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
That's not cool.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:19 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
A lawsuit will not turn back time and allow this woman to be there to offer emotional support to her partner during a life changing medical emergency.

This is the reason that marriage needs to be allowed for same sex couples.
No, marriage rights should be fought for civil unions.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It was an emergency.

And if married couples don't have to have special documentation, and civil unions are supposed to have the same status as marriage by law, then why would civil union partners need special documentation.

As a note, the hospital was perfectly willing to recognize the couple's status on the admitting forms when told that Simonelli's insurance would be paying for Leon's hospital bills.
So?

20 years ago I was POA and caregiver for a friend who was dying. He took care of things, like an intelligent person does. I wasn't denied anything. I was not a relative, not a lover. Just a friend.

Only fools wait until emergencies to do something. It's called 'planning'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Had the same sex partners taken care of medical powers of attorney and had the documentation on file with the hospital and attending physicians as well as in the patient's chart, is this a scenario which was preventable? I suspect it may have.
Yes, but they seem to be too dumb to realize this.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Had the same sex partners taken care of medical powers of attorney and had the documentation on file with the hospital and attending physicians as well as in the patient's chart, is this a scenario which was preventable? I suspect it may have.
The law in Nevada says that a domestic partnership is to be granted ALL the same rights as marriage. When a couple are married in Nevada they have the right to visitation, and to make medical decisions for their spouse. How many married spouses have a medical POA on file with hospitals.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No, marriage rights should be fought for civil unions.
Obviously you didn't read the link. In Nevada domestic partnerships are supposed to be granted the same rights as marriage ALREADY.

We can see how well THAT is working out.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
So?

20 years ago I was POA and caregiver for a friend who was dying. He took care of things, like an intelligent person does. I wasn't denied anything. I was not a relative, not a lover. Just a friend.

Only fools wait until emergencies to do something. It's called 'planning'.

Yes, but they seem to be too dumb to realize this.
Only fools expect the hospital to obey the law??? By law, these two women are relatives. They are spouses, by law. They have the paperwork that shows that they have legally been joined by a civil union. They even offered to get that paperwork.

They were legally entitled to the same treatment as a married couple.

The hospital broke the law in treating them differently. The couple has no intention of suing, they only want the hospital to change its policy so that the hospital is in accordance with the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies