Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 AM

113 posts, read 101,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Anyone who isn't a millionaire who votes Republican just isn't voting in their rational self interest. So much for Ayn Rand's theory.
Ron Paul is a Republican, right? He wants to cut a lot more wasteful military sending than the Dems do (at least Obama).

As a single renter without kids with a middle class income, getting rid of the distorting deductions in order to lower the tax rates would be a huge boon to me. Getting rid of the mortgage deductions would also make housing cheaper. So voting for the right Republicans is in my self interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 03:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majinkoola View Post
Getting rid of the mortgage deductions would also make housing cheaper.
It's going to get cheaper anyway with continued unemployment.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,491,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
When Prop 13 became law about 35 years ago... both my teacher and my Uncle had immediate rent reductions...

Predictability in Prop taxes is a definite factor in foregoing rent increases with the rentals I manage.

It is company policy to keep rent increases to a minimum for good tenants and raise them to market at turnover...

Some of my tenants have not had increases in 7 years...

The stability Prop 13 offers is definitely a factor.

The experience you describe was not the norm under Prop 13. Most renters were hit with rent increases, not reductions. Angry renters succeeded in enacting a number of local rent control ordinances in the years immediately following the passage of Prop 13.

Prop 13 suppoerters said people shouldn't be taxed out of their homes, but only homeownewrs were guaranteed the protections of Prop 13. A homeowner could stay in their home for 50 years and not be taxed out of their home, but a renter had no such protection whenever his landlord decides to sell.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The experience you describe was not the norm under Prop 13. Most renters were hit with rent increases, not reductions. Angry renters succeeded in enacting a number of local rent control ordinances in the years immediately following the passage of Prop 13.

Prop 13 suppoerters said people shouldn't be taxed out of their homes, but only homeownewrs were guaranteed the protections of Prop 13. A homeowner could stay in their home for 50 years and not be taxed out of their home, but a renter had no such protection whenever his landlord decides to sell.
The list of communities for rent control is very short and has been stagnant. Also, most rent control ordinances exempt new construction and/or single family homes.

Prop 13 applies to all taxable real estate in the State... including family farms, ranches, etc.

Renting will never equate with owning... each has unique benefits.

Renters can almost always afford to rent a home they could not otherwise afford to buy... several of my friends have taken this to the extreme by selling their homes in Oakland so they could rent in Piedmont, a city completely within the city of Oakland... Piedmont has top public schools and low crime... and high real estate prices.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
The government changed the tax laws to drop the deductions for credit card interest paid, car loan interest paid and personal loan interest paid. That didn't impact CC use or the purchase of vehicles.

Dropping mortgage interest deduction wouldn't alter people's intention of buying a home.
They don't base the decision to buy a home based on "oh I can deduct the interest" because that is not a dollar for dollar reduction.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM

89,090 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The government changed the tax laws to drop the deductions for credit card interest paid, car loan interest paid and personal loan interest paid. That didn't impact CC use or the purchase of vehicles.

Dropping mortgage interest deduction wouldn't alter people's intention of buying a home.
They don't base the decision to buy a home based on "oh I can deduct the interest" because that is not a dollar for dollar reduction.
Exactly. I wouldn't mind seeing the mortgage interest deduction axed. And it would be HIGHLY entertaining to watch the scorched liberals howl about the loss of that deduction at tax time.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Hard to say it wouldn't have any impact... it can be a deciding factor for those on the fence.

If the change was across the board... it would create hardships at first.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Anyone who isn't a millionaire who votes Republican just isn't voting in their rational self interest. So much for Ayn Rand's theory.
This sentence isn't correct. It would be if you replaced millionaire with 250Kaire. Or 200Kaire for a single person.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,290,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
With this move - and with its insistence on increasing military spending - the GOP is now assured of winning the election. I'm sure the middle class who look forward to getting tax refunds for having mortgages while they send their kids off to fight and die in foreign lands will be so thrilled to vote Republican.

Ahead of Convention, GOP Dumps Mortgage Deduction - Businessweek
The article says the above, but made the statement out of thin air.
There is no statement from the GOP that they are going to eliminate the mortgage deduction. That makes no sense.
They are more likely to go back to the old 2008 budget as a start.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Hard to say it wouldn't have any impact... it can be a deciding factor for those on the fence.

If the change was across the board... it would create hardships at first.
What hardship ? Do people not take out car loans anymore because the interest is not deductible ?
CC debt is sky high.

The deduction is not dollar for dollar and it only reduces the amount of tax you pay.
If this would cause "hardship" then you bought more house than you can afford. And that has been the problem all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies