Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,270,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I do not know what the solution is to this new USDA lunch program, so for me, I am sending my kids a sack lunch to school so I know they don’t go hungry. I am also going to contact my Congressmen and Senators and let them hear my concerns. Hopefully through open communication a solution will be found so our kids are not receiving a one size fits all lunch program. Until then though, my kids will be brown bagging it.
From the OP link.

It seems that bringing lunches from home is allowed. You might want to read your own link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,522,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you see what the 15 year old boy said to his mother about all that protein in the form of fat he would get being two good bites for him. He is 6'5 and 205. I bet he is still growing and pretty well fits what you say about yourself. Michelle just would call him obese and go on.
Yep, this kid needs calories, in any form. He is most certainly not overweight for his height. He will burn it off easily. As a general rule, one needs 15 times their body weight in calories just to maintain their existing weight. At 205 pounds this kid needs at least 3,075 calories per day. If he is like I was, he will not be able to put on enough weight no matter how much he eats. At age 18 I joined the Marine Corps and they put about 20 pounds of muscle on me, but even then I only weighed 195 pounds, on a very high carbohydrate diet. It was not until I turned 28 that my metabolism finally slowed down enough that I put on some weight and filled out.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 PM

Schools provide meals for hundreds of kids a day. Customizing those meals for each child is just not feasible.
If your child has special requirements, pack their lunch.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,469,519 times
No school program can force a child to eat school lunch. All children can bring their own lunches. I worked in a school, I would not feed my dog a school lunch. I see the school lunch program as a safety for families too poor to feed their kids. It will provide food, not meant to be a sole source of food.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,522,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Schools provide meals for hundreds of kids a day. Customizing those meals for each child is just not feasible.
If your child has special requirements, pack their lunch.
Precisely. Only these days if that bagged lunch does not meet USDA standards, it is tossed in the trash and your child is given a school lunch instead.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,583,926 times
If school systems don't want to follow USDA school lunch guidelines, don't take the federal money.

If parents don't want their kids eating school lunches, feed them yourself.

If you don't think little Johnny is getting enough to eat at school, feed him more when he gets home. He won't starve between 12 and 3 PM.

If the school lunch is your child's primary source of nourishment, you've got bigger things to worry about than USDA guidelines.

If you think school lunches are bad today, you should've gone to school with me back in the 1950's. Our menu never varied: Pinto beans, collard greens and cornbread....4 days a week. Hamburgers on Friday. Guess what? None of us starved to death.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,583,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Precisely. Only these days if that bagged lunch does not meet USDA standards, it is tossed in the trash and your child is given a school lunch instead.

That's not so. It happened once in NC, mistakenly, but that is not the standard or the norm.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Okay. If you say so.

Although I know differently. I have been to the school. I worked in the school. There are no rules that say you can not bring a packed lunch.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,363,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I don't need to read anything. I have been to my sons school. I know that I'm allowed to pack his lunch. I know his teachers, the principal, and the school board president.

So obviously these rules do not apply in every school.
These rules surely do apply, this year. Maybe you should go to the school and check this year's menus since it is all different than last year. You have been there this year, haven't you?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,363,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It would seem to me that the lunch program should be a localized issue, and not determined from the Feds. It may already be...i don't really know how it works although i understand some of what Roy is talking about.

And FYI...i've got nothing against free lunch for kids.
I wonder how many people writing here have kids who have started school this year.

The lunch program once was determined by the local people but once the feds got involved with their strings attached money for states the states either had to go along or do without the money. That is what always happens when governments can attach strings as they have with this one.

My wife, kind of a nutrionist, says the kids will all go home and raid the pantry and surely most of what they pig out on will be the very thing the feds don't want them to have.

Hey, look at my links where the mothers have pictures of their kids and see if obesity is a problem for those Kansas and North Dakota farm kids. You would be amazed at how straight up and down those kids are but they all go to small, rural schools and end up in sports programs the year round while many of those obese kids do nothing more strenuous than punching keys on their cell phones or other game playing electronics. One mother mentions that her boy only gets two days of physical education where she got 5 when in school. Lack of physical activity may allow some kids to get by on no protein but those who go out for sports and then home to work won't be able to make it.

An example of what kids used to do in Kansas on our meals at school was one kid who practiced basketball a couple of hours, went home and ran around the section (4 miles) every school day after the 1st of January. He paid his way to school with his running and became quite a force on the national scene in college. Poor Steve never weighed more than 145 and was 5'10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies