Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 03:07 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Teaching respect to kids? Fine. That's what normal social interaction among family, friends, and neighbors is for. But call it "education" and teach it in public schools in the place of the already sorely lacking academics? NO! Public schools should stick to academics. They need MAJOR improvement in their ACADEMIC educational results.
You really think that respect is the only thing they teach at IB? Really? How do you figure IB students score better than non-IB students if they don't teach anything else there? Are they just born with all that knowledge? Listen to yourself!

Old 08-26-2012, 03:09 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,470 times
Quote:
Really? 4 years of high school English, 3 of Math (Algebra and beyond), plus all of the other requirements I didn't even mention (2 years high school science (biology, chemistry), 2 years high school social studies PLUS U.S. History, etc. in 1 year? Map that out for us. Let's see a flow chart.
Apparently you missed where I said that they started high-school level classes in middle school.

I was mainly speaking of the language arts portion, especially around here, where the magnet middle school for really intelligent kids requires all students to take at least 1 foreign language every year they are there, not to mention other languages.

My wife graduated high school with 3 years of latin, 5 years of spanish, and 3 years of japanese, with her 5th year of spanish taken in her junior year.

English classes that gave high school credit began in 7th grade, and science/math classes with high school credit began in 6th.

So yes, at least around here, most kids (who started preparing for IB in middle school) with those requirements would be able to graduate high school by sophmore year, PE nonwithstanding (although here we only require 2 years of high school level PE)

Old 08-26-2012, 03:13 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,027 times
Quote:
Unless a class is specifically titled as a high school class and taught by a high school teacher, it doesn't count in Illinois.
Same goes for NY. These kids don't have a clue as to how U.S. public education in general actually works. Actually, they don't have a clue about life in general. LOL!

Old 08-26-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Same goes for NY. These kids don't have a clue as to how U.S. public education in general actually works. Actually, they don't have a clue about life in general. LOL!
It does vary from state to state, that is true.

I'm speaking of the general requirements for Virginia.

LIke I said earlier, I have friends who went thorugh this magnet school/started preparing for IB in middle school and graduated high school in their sophmore year.

It happens.

That is a fact.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Apparently you missed where I said that they started high-school level classes in middle school.

I was mainly speaking of the language arts portion, especially around here, where the magnet middle school for really intelligent kids requires all students to take at least 1 foreign language every year they are there, not to mention other languages.

My wife graduated high school with 3 years of latin, 5 years of spanish, and 3 years of japanese, with her 5th year of spanish taken in her junior year.

English classes that gave high school credit began in 7th grade, and science/math classes with high school credit began in 6th.

So yes, at least around here, most kids (who started preparing for IB in middle school) with those requirements would be able to graduate high school by sophmore year, PE nonwithstanding (although here we only require 2 years of high school level PE)

Again, what you are describing is an extraordinarily unique "magnet" school, not a general public high school. When it comes to a regular 9-12 public U.S. high school, the sort of individualized advanced courses you are describing for "middle schoolers" not only don't exist, it would be impossible to schedule. You keep trying to shove a size 10 foot into a size 6 shoe. IB is NOT a good fit for U.S. American public schools.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Again, what you are describing is an extraordinarily unique "magnet" school, not a general public high school. When it comes to a regular 9-12 public U.S. high school, the sort of individualized advanced courses you are describing for "middle schoolers" not only don't exist, it would be impossible to schedule. You keep trying to shove a size 10 foot into a size 6 shoe. IB is NOT a good fit for U.S. American public schools.
That's an entire magnet school for the more intelligent children.

Our normal middle schools actually do have advanced classes with high school credits that many start taking starting the 7th grade.

The IB program fits us just fine, and we don't suffer because of it.

We're actually preparing our child to go through the IB program, as it will fit her just as well as it fit her mother. IT's a great program, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
It does vary from state to state, that is true.

I'm speaking of the general requirements for Virginia.

LIke I said earlier, I have friends who went thorugh this magnet school/started preparing for IB in middle school and graduated high school in their sophmore year.

It happens.

That is a fact.
You're saying those students graduated from HS in 10th Grade with an IB Diploma? Nope. No way. And if you're saying, "No, that just freed them up to take the IBDP in 11th and 12th", well my question to you is, if those students were so advanced and able to earn an American HS Diploma at the end of 10th Grade, why didn't they simply enroll in the local community college or go straight to a 4 year university?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
You're saying those students graduated from HS in 10th Grade with an IB Diploma? Nope. No way.
No.

I'm not.

I'm saying they graduated in 10th grade with a normal diploma. (Well, with high honors, but still, non-IB diploma.)

Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
That's an entire magnet school for the more intelligent children.

Our normal middle schools actually do have advanced classes with high school credits that many start taking starting the 7th grade.

The IB program fits us just fine, and we don't suffer because of it.

We're actually preparing our child to go through the IB program, as it will fit her just as well as it fit her mother. IT's a great program, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
It should be a private school. U.S. taxpayers should not be supporting that kind of elitist-snob, exclusionary school.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
No.

I'm not.

I'm saying they graduated in 10th grade with a normal diploma. (Well, with high honors, but still, non-IB diploma.)
Ah ha. I had added this probably when you were typing your reply:

Quote:
And if you're saying, "No, that just freed them up to take the IBDP in 11th and 12th", well my question to you is, if those students were so advanced and able to earn an American HS Diploma at the end of 10th Grade, why didn't they simply enroll in the local community college or go straight to a 4 year university?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies