Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:34 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times

Advertisements

I still think it's highly hypocritical for anyone seeking to limit freedoms based on sexuality to talk of "freedoms" in any case. It's practically going back to what it was: freedoms for just those people we want to give them to, which isn't freedom at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I still think it's highly hypocritical for anyone seeking to limit freedoms based on sexuality to talk of "freedoms" in any case. It's practically going back to what it was: freedoms for just those people we want to give them to, which isn't freedom at all.
I suppose one can take old 'traditional freedoms', like speech, association, religion, bill of rights type things, and use the word 'freedom' to mean freedom to celebrate a marriage wherever you want or have a wedding cake baked in whatever bakery you enter.

IMO, calling it hypocritical to speak of freedom because a business owner prefers not to partake in celebrating a ssm is way, way extreme.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I suppose one can take old 'traditional freedoms', like speech, association, religion, bill of rights type things, and use the word 'freedom' to mean freedom to celebrate a marriage wherever you want or have a wedding cake baked in whatever bakery you enter.
Freedom is simply being able to do what you want, period. And only when there are good, identifiable, verifiable reasons should a freedom (any freedom) be denied.

Quote:
IMO, calling it hypocritical to speak of freedom because a business owner prefers not to partake in celebrating a ssm is way, way extreme.
What, you think they're mad because he wouldn't go to one of their weddings?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,945 times
Quote:
I suppose you can try and equate marriage (a fundamental right, as noted over and over by the United States Supreme Court) with baking a cake.

But unless you think baking a cake is a fundamental right, the equation is nonsensical.

As for your"Bill of Rights type things" comment, I guess you don't really think Amendment XIV all that important to freedom, right? Due Process Clause? Equal Protection Clause? The very reason the Bill of Rights applies not just to the federal government but all subsidiary levels of government, too (state, county, city, etc.)? Not that important?

Aren't the 1860s and the right to citizenship, equal protrection, and due process 'traditional' enough for you?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,945 times
Quote:
There's a lot of overlap between those who incessantly complain about 'big government' and the 'nanny state' with those who pitched a fit when the USSC ruled that laws prohibiting consensual sexual activity between adults were struck down (in 2003) and who constantly oppose any attempt to let adults marry the consenting adult of their choice.

When that is the question, suddenly they can't get enough of governmental management of marriage...

Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Freedom is simply being able to do what you want, period. And only when there are good, identifiable, verifiable reasons should a freedom (any freedom) be denied.

What, you think they're mad because he wouldn't go to one of their weddings?
Using your standard, who's 'freedom' was denied. The owners were denied the freedom [wanted to] to reject assisting in a celebration of a marriage that violated their religious beliefs, their consciences. The couple was denied the freedom [wanted to] to hold their party in one of thousands of places where they could hold it.

Yes, providing services, whether space, music, food, lodging, is taking part in. Would 'assisting in the preparation or conduct of a celebration' for an unholy matrimony be better.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
I suppose you can try and equate marriage (a fundamental right, as noted over and over by the United States Supreme Court) with baking a cake.

But unless you think baking a cake is a fundamental right, the equation is nonsensical.

As for your"Bill of Rights type things" comment, I guess you don't really think Amendment XIV all that important to freedom, right? Due Process Clause? Equal Protection Clause? The very reason the Bill of Rights applies not just to the federal government but all subsidiary levels of government, too (state, county, city, etc.)? Not that important?

Aren't the 1860s and the right to citizenship, equal protrection, and due process 'traditional' enough for you?
You switched the issue. The 'freedom' was where they'd have a party, not whether ssm should be legal or will be ruled constitutional. If you think all freedoms are =, and having a party is = to marriage, weird.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM

200 posts, read 165,842 times
Quote:
"If they need licenses in the city, it will be very difficult, Menino said. "Unless they open up their policies."

There's more to it than existing zoning laws. Dozens of specific permits and licenses. If you don't think the mayor and his political appointees who head local agencies don't have the power to delay, obstruct, and punish, you're politically naive.
Dragging feet is not the same as not allowing a particular place to open.

The mayor does not have ultimate authority over every agency, nor does every agency share the same views as the mayor. Many agency heads are NOT appointees.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post

There's a lot of overlap between those who incessantly complain about 'big government' and the 'nanny state' with those who pitched a fit when the USSC ruled that laws prohibiting consensual sexual activity between adults were struck down (in 2003) and who constantly oppose any attempt to let adults marry the consenting adult of their choice.

When that is the question, suddenly they can't get enough of governmental management of marriage...
Well said. And it's the same for every argument they offer to explain why they oppose (or simply "don't support") gay marriage. They try to blame some particular principle (what's natural, what's traditional, what's a "sin") when there are exceptions for them all which they seem to have no problem with whatsoever.

That's why people keep saying it's because they just don't like homosexuals, because no other explanation can explain why they feel SSM is "wrong" and so many other things aren't.

Quote:
Using your standard, who's 'freedom' was denied. The owners were denied the freedom [wanted to] to reject assisting in a celebration of a marriage that violated their religious beliefs, their consciences. The couple was denied the freedom [wanted to] to hold their party in one of thousands of places where they could hold it.
What owners, and what "party"? I'm not sure we're talking about the same subject here.

The CEO of Chick-Fil-A has the freedom to say what he wants and fund what he wants. Same for homosexuals and advocates of gay rights. I'm merely pointing out how, if you don't think gays should be allowed to get married (knowing you have no evidence to suggest there would be any harm in it), you're picking and choosing as to what restrictions based on mere opinion are okay.

As a heterosexual, I cannot begin to imagine how I'd feel if someone told me I couldn't marry my gf and couldn't give me a good reason. But I'd have to fight really hard to not put 2 and 2 together and figure it was a matter of prejudice.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Well said. And it's the same for every argument they offer to explain why they oppose (or simply "don't support") gay marriage. They try to blame some particular principle (what's natural, what's traditional, what's a "sin") when there are exceptions for them all which they seem to have no problem with whatsoever.

That's why people keep saying it's because they just don't like homosexuals, because no other explanation can explain why they feel SSM is "wrong" and so many other things aren't.

What owners, and what "party"? I'm not sure we're talking about the same subject here.

The CEO of Chick-Fil-A has the freedom to say what he wants and fund what he wants. Same for homosexuals and advocates of gay rights. I'm merely pointing out how, if you don't think gays should be allowed to get married (knowing you have no evidence to suggest there would be any harm in it), you're picking and choosing as to what restrictions based on mere opinion are okay.

As a heterosexual, I cannot begin to imagine how I'd feel if someone told me I couldn't marry my gf and couldn't give me a good reason. But I'd have to fight really hard to not put 2 and 2 together and figure it was a matter of prejudice.
I'm now among people who forget what thread they are posting on. I was used to the Inn thread, thought I was there. Pardon me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies