Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There's a good quote going around on this issue, tweeted recently:

“I hate the word homophobia. It’s not a phobia. You are not scared. You are an a******"

That pretty much sums it up.
I hate that word, too. It's a misnomer and is as bad as the N word.

I don't know anyone who is "afraid" of gays. "Misohom" might be a better term than "homophobe" although I don't think there is widespread hatred of them either. Maybe in Islamic countries but not in the western world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 12:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I hate that word, too. It's a misnomer and is as bad as the N word.

I don't know anyone who is "afraid" of gays. "Misohom" might be a better term than "homophobe" although I don't think there is widespread hatred of them either. Maybe in Islamic countries but not in the western world.
Okay. Then we'll just call you anti-gay. Is that better?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:04 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Okay. Then we'll just call you anti-gay. Is that better?
That would be a misnomer, too. I'm not anti-gay as I am not against homosexuality. I'm even on record in this forum of being in favor of gay marriage. Unless you have changed your mind, YOU are on record as not supporting it.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
Was the CEO threatened with censorship? No. There may have been remarks against him, but no threats were made.
There were threats not to allow him to do business by the mayors of at least two cities.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Sorry for posting this so long after the controversy. I moved and have been travelling a lot for work and haven't had the time.

I just want to say that Chick Fil A appreciation day really opened my eyes to the plight of Gays in this country. I drove by my neighberhood Chick Fil A and it was just packed full of people. And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people. But what struck me the most was how proud some of them looked to be standing there. Granted I'm sure that some people were there to support religous freedom but most of them were there because they don't like Gay people.

I thought to myself what a bunch of hypocrites. They say they want the Government out of their business yet they want the Government to legislate THEIR morality. I like millions of other people will never eat at CHick Fil A again. Also I now 100% support gay rights and will help advance them in anyway I can.
There is no hypocrisy in their support of CFA they merely fight fire with fire. They would prefer to handle this free of government intrusion but the gay community brought the government into it so as I said you fight fire with fire.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I don't know where you live ...hey.....check this out!!

Since you ARE LATE to this show!

Articles: My Black Dad and Chick-fil-A

Go back to sleep.....
Hey look at all those white pudgy bigoted hypocrts wearing make up to make them look black......oh....their actually black....but I thought you had to be white to be a hypocrite or a bigot.....my Lord what is the world coming to?.....Maybe their senses?

Their not white, their not hypocrites, their not bigots, they just want to support moral values.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post

Their not white, their not hypocrites, their not bigots, they just want to support moral values.
I thought it was about free speech? Now that I find out it was about denying homosexuals equal rights under the law I have to oppose the chubby black and white bigots.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I thought it was about free speech? Now that I find out it was about denying homosexuals equal rights under the law I have to oppose the chubby black and white bigots.
So you don't see them supporting free speech by supporting moral values?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
So you don't see them supporting free speech by supporting moral values?

I was kidding a bit. My views on the issue are this:

1) Mr. Cathay has the right to do as he wish with his donations without government threatening his business.

2) Gays should have the right to marry.

3) The Abrahamic religions have long taught that homosexuality is wrong. People should recognize that people with a different moral code then theirs are not neccesarily bigots.

4) Everyone has the right to boycott or stage protests or give their support to Chik-Fil-a.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There were threats not to allow him to do business by the mayors of at least two cities.
The Chicago case was actually not a particularly interesting example except that an alderman was pandering to his gay constituency.

There is already a Chick Fil A in downtown Chicago. The particular one the flap is about was denied a zoning variation because it was in an inappropriate location for a drive through. The area was already congested, had bike lanes on the street and there are no drive thrus allowed on Elston Ave where they wanted to open.
Zoning is not a right. Moreno should have kept his big mouth shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies