Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,364,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Wow!! I didn't realize you were all such lovers of the government nanny state. My mother taught me to clean up my own mess, just like BP needed to do when it came to the oil *BP* spilled.
But all those European nations offered to help suck the oil up before it got to land and Obama refused to let them do so. I think it had something to do with the Jones Act and protecting some unions. Yeah, I am sure that is what they were doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Absolutely no fan of Obama, but what was he to do? No real equipment in place. On scene experts were understating the problem. Yes he could have accepted help sooner but other than that I can think of very little.
He was protecting some of his union buddies when he refused to let others help suck up the oil before it got to shore. Yes, he could have accepted the offered help and saved much of those beaches, but he had to save his buddies down at the union hall.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,629,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But all those European nations offered to help suck the oil up before it got to land and Obama refused to let them do so. I think it had something to do with the Jones Act and protecting some unions. Yeah, I am sure that is what they were doing.
Why are you only concerned with oil spills after the fact? Are you arguing that we need better government regulation of the oil industry?

Quote:
Oh because it was Obama or a democrat in office no big deal right? Then why was it Bush's fault after Katrina? Why didn't the city of NO do a better job? They even had warnings from the Army corp of Engineers that this would happen. Yet the Dems to this day cry foul. Popular Mechanics Katrina debunking the myths was a great article about what failed and why.
I'm all for the federal government helping when it comes to natural disasters. The BP oil spill wasn't instigated by a natural disaster.

And frankly I have no idea why we have the EPA at this point. Regulation is hardly effective obviously.

And I don't remember blaming Bush for Katrina. All I blame him for is "Brownie, you're doing a heckeva job."

Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,067,848 times
Quote:
Yeah, what spill? I bet that is what he was thinking when he went on all those campaign trips during those days or when he was playing golf. He was just so busy that he couldn't do anything. One of the commenters on that video said that a little bit of C4 may have been used to shut the whole thing down. I am not an expert on things like that but I bet some of the oil people could have done something long before he did anything other than say he just couldn't do anything about it.
Yep he was golfing.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:59 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,067,848 times
Quote:
Why are you only concerned with oil spills after the fact? Are you arguing that we need better government regulation of the oil industry?

I'm all for the federal government helping when it comes to natural disasters. The BP oil spill wasn't instigated by a natural disaster.

And frankly I have no idea why we have the EPA at this point. Regulation is hardly effective obviously.

And I don't remember blaming Bush for Katrina. All I blame him for is "Brownie, you're doing a heckeva job."
What forced those drillers to go out into the deeper waters in the first place to get the black gold?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:

The BP oil spill wasn't a natural disaster but it became one and I blame Obama for that. He could have allowed those other countries to help but he didn't.

The EPA has been very important to Obama's attempt to stop the use of fossil fuels.

Bush was blamed by the left for all of Katrina and nobody paid any attention to the fact that FEMA had all that food and water in Baton Rouge but the roads weren't passable. Maybe if some of those people had been forcibly removed from the city as the plan called for some of them could have been eating and drinking all that food and water that it took days to get into the city. Can you tell me a better place near the city for that to have been stockpiled? Surely not the flooded area.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,010,209 times
If reality is created by images on our TV's in the DC area we get at least one or two PR ads paid for by BP and certain Southern state Tourism Agencies that the waters of the Gulf and the beaches are clean and they are having a wonderful travel season. Now the reality is the Gulf is just like Price William Sound in that the oil spill has permently damaged the environment and things like fishing will never recover to prespill levels in the areas affected by the oil. Price William Sound was ruined nearly 25 years ago and why should the Guld be any different. All mighty BP, Chevron, Shell or Exxon-Mobil, Bobby Jindal, Haley Barbour and whoever runs Alabama will swear everthing is fine and dandy and Obama would be a fool to say otherwise.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:17 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,629,162 times
Quote:
But all those European nations offered to help suck the oil up before it got to land and Obama refused to let them do so.
What happened to U.S. exceptionalism?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:54 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,466,623 times
Smile Did Obama do a really good job of handling the Gulf oil spill?

He must have.

The Gulf Coast is spending millions on TV commercials bragging about how tourism is setting records and how nice the beaches are and how good the fishing is.

Way to go, Mr President!

Old 09-03-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
What happened to U.S. exceptionalism?
I don't see any connection to Obama failing to take help and US exceptionalism. Could you point out what you mean? What prog blog did you get that one from, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies