Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM

32,153 posts, read 15,164,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Sounds like you knew the job was dangerous when you took it. Why the crying after the fact?

Irony alert: liberal social policies and the breakdown of the family lead to students and conditions that liberal teachers complain about.
Omg I am not a teacher But, I know many who are including my daughter and sister and numerous other family members. And who said the job was dangerous Are you a teacher, are your family members teachers. If they are not then you have no idea what you are talking about do you. So stop pretending that you do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 PM

20,135 posts, read 16,229,559 times
They want them to work an extra 90 minutes a day. Any of you interested in working an extra 1 1/2 hours a day for free? But yes, the amount of a raise they are asking for is ridiculous, even if it wasn't tough economic times.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Unless you are a teacher you have no idea what teachers deal with on a day to day basis. Why anyone would want to become a teacher with the low pay they receive is beyond me. Teachers don't get into this profession to become rich. They do it because they care. But no one seems to appreciate them and just blame them for everything.
There are a lot of professions that folks do because they care and they don't get "rich" doing it.
Not everyone can be a movie star.....And, lack of appreciation is in the eyes of the beholder.

The last thing I'd do if I was a primary school teacher, is strike.
If the walk out lasts long enough, folks might smarten up.
They might even realize the physical teacher could be
replaced by a computer and be cheaper...

Classroom learning is so 20th century
Andrew J. Rotherham: Can Computers Replace Teachers? | TIME Ideas | TIME.com

Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,220,403 times
We dont know all of the issues as to why they want to strike. Many teachers can find themselves over worked with few if any increases in pay. All teachers have a workload of students. If you increase the number of students by 30% or more you increase the amount of hours the teacher has to work. Teachers spend many hours at home doing paperwork for the students. Add students you add work......then you need to add some frikkin pay but many school systems dont think that way. This could be just one issue. Being this close to an election you cant rule out politics playing a part either. The poster who said to hire illegals needs to know that the increase in "undocumented aliens" has added greatly to the teachers work load but because the students arent documented they arent counted when the county allocates money to the school system.This causes the school system to have to stretch its dollars and leaves less money for pay increases for anyone. So yes the illegals play a role in this. They get free education and dont have to even give their name.Teachers are sick of seeing this dumped on them.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,440,117 times
Quote:
Omg I am not a teacher But, I know many who are including my daughter and sister and numerous other family members. And who said the job was dangerous Are you a teacher, are your family members teachers. If they are not then you have no idea what you are talking about do you. So stop pretending that you do
My wife was a teacher when me married. She taught for a couple years then went part-time when we had kids. She worked enough to maintain her licensure.

She was asked to assist in East Palo Alto in the early 90's on a literacy project. It's her "cause". I'm proud of her for that. Her position was that the Mexican children (in the 80's they were all Mexican after Reagan's amnesty) should be segregated and immersed in English for at least a year to ensure they were fluent in English before turning them loose into a regular classroom. Once they get behind its difficult for them to catch up; the cycle repeats and society pays. The parents of these kids wanted the same thing that any parent wants for their kid. It was the system that worked against them in that instance.

Liberal teachers didn't like that idea. It was racist.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
We dont know all of the issues as to why they want to strike. Many teachers can find themselves over worked
The main one: Money for time.
- a 30 percent pay raise for additional hours at work.

"Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) wants to extend the school day, and that the requested salary increase would compensate them for extending the school day from 5.5 hours—among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours"

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/06/12/...ent-pay-raise/

IMO, I don't think a student will learn much more by taking in an add'l 2 hours of on site schooling.
There is only so much a brain can absorb in 24 hours.
Not to mention the teacher and the kids need a break from each other

Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 PM

32,153 posts, read 15,164,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
There are a lot of professions that folks do because they care and they don't get "rich" doing it.
Not everyone can be a movie star.....And, lack of appreciation is in the eyes of the beholder.

The last thing I'd do if I was a primary school teacher, is strike.
If the walk out lasts long enough, folks might smarten up.
They might even realize the physical teacher could be
replaced by a computer and be cheaper...

Classroom learning is so 20th century
Andrew J. Rotherham: Can Computers Replace Teachers? | TIME Ideas | TIME.com

Are you a teacher? I don't think you are so please don't pretend to know what you would do. If you want a computer teaching your child then go for it. Personally, I like the interaction of human contact with my children.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 PM

39,920 posts, read 26,621,072 times
Quote:
Unless you are a teacher you have no idea what teachers deal with on a day to day basis. Why anyone would want to become a teacher with the low pay they receive is beyond me. Teachers don't get into this profession to become rich. They do it because they care. But no one seems to appreciate them and just blame them for everything.
Low pay? JUst how much does a Chicago teacher get? And for working about 2/3 as many days as most of the people that pay their salaries. 5.5 hours a day is all they work? And they still aren't even proposing a full day's work from them?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM

39,920 posts, read 26,621,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They want them to work an extra 90 minutes a day. Any of you interested in working an extra 1 1/2 hours a day for free? But yes, the amount of a raise they are asking for is ridiculous, even if it wasn't tough economic times.
How many of the rest of us only work 5.5 hours a day now, for a full day's pay?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
If you want a computer teaching your child then go for it. Personally, I like the interaction of human contact with my children.

There's nothing wrong with human contact I'm simply stating that teachers
should realize they can be replaced for time sake, at the very minimum, if need be.

There are states that have public virtual schools that have very good results.
Certainly, there will come a time in history when we will not need teachers on a full time basis.
We just have not gotten there yet. We still are in a 1950's model of education.

The teacher gripe is more about time without additional pay.
If you saw my other post - I don't even think this additional "time" will make a difference in
the learning success if that is the reason they are doing it.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 09-09-2012 at 11:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies