Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,842 times

Advertisements

I understand that BRIC is developing nations to foster future relationships by building up their infrastructure which should cause wages to increase in those nations, so when they become independent, their people will have the income to purchase products made from the domestic economies of BRIC nations.

I also understand that after WWII, the US and its allies virtually shut out Russia in the global economy by forbiding the trade of its currency which exacerbated Russia's economic demise.

The US has 4% of the world's population, but it uses 25% of the world's resources, and conducts business as if there are 5.5 earth's to provide resources. Obviously, this is unsustainable. Furthermore, the US does not have enough domestic oil to sustain the economy considering the quality of the oil, and the inability of it for the most part, to meet EPA standards.

This means that it is absolutely necessary for the US to import oil. Unfortunately, due to developing nations, the global demand for oil has also risen, and the US no longer has the capability to get whatever it demands.

Is it viable that BRIC is attempting to wean the world off of US currency, which (I'm assuming) will cause significant US domestic inflation considering the global demand for US currenty will fall considerably? Additionally, the US is riddled with debt, and considering there are plenty of other customers able to purchase goods from global manufacturers, which (I'm assuming) will cause demand pull inflation.

With that said, America will then no longer have global purchasing power, have considerable debt, and since society is based around the automobile, the economy will suffer greatly and unemployment will be rampant.

Since there are already signficant divides caused by a heterogenous society and media manipulation, (as well as secularity), tensions will be incredibly high, and the nation will be weaker than ever.

At this point, our military will be considerably weakened because we will not have the resources to fund it, which will make us incredibly vulnerable.

Is this retribution for helping destroy Russia's economy? Will US enemies, (including Russia), use this as an excuse to attack? Even if the US threatens Russia with it's nuclear weapons, Russia has a missle defense system that will make this practically impossible unless the US has some internal nuclear weapons stored in Russia or has some kind of a stealth nuclear weapon that can avoid detection.

Is any of this a possibility? Are they effectively quarenteening America before initiating an attack?

Would anybody do this? Are geopolitical egos this big?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Well obama just laughed at the notion of Russia being named an enemy so it looks we are on track for a rough go.

you know, Obama laughed at the concept of shovel ready projects and now about Russia...maybe he is the 'joker'?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 PM

174 posts, read 96,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Well obama just laughed at the notion of Russia being named an enemy so it looks we are on track for a rough go.
Isn't Obama begging for U.S. membership?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I understand that BRIC is developing nations to foster future relationships by building up their infrastructure which should cause wages to increase in those nations, so when they become independent, their people will have the income to purchase products made from the domestic economies of BRIC nations.

I also understand that after WWII, the US and its allies virtually shut out Russia in the global economy by forbiding the trade of its currency which exacerbated Russia's economic demise.

The US has 4% of the world's population, but it uses 25% of the world's resources, and conducts business as if there are 5.5 earth's to provide resources. Obviously, this is unsustainable. Furthermore, the US does not have enough domestic oil to sustain the economy considering the quality of the oil, and the inability of it for the most part, to meet EPA standards.

This means that it is absolutely necessary for the US to import oil. Unfortunately, due to developing nations, the global demand for oil has also risen, and the US no longer has the capability to get whatever it demands.

Is it viable that BRIC is attempting to wean the world off of US currency, which (I'm assuming) will cause significant US domestic inflation considering the global demand for US currenty will fall considerably? Additionally, the US is riddled with debt, and considering there are plenty of other customers able to purchase goods from global manufacturers, which (I'm assuming) will cause demand pull inflation.

With that said, America will then no longer have global purchasing power, have considerable debt, and since society is based around the automobile, the economy will suffer greatly and unemployment will be rampant.

Since there are already signficant divides caused by a heterogenous society and media manipulation, (as well as secularity), tensions will be incredibly high, and the nation will be weaker than ever.

At this point, our military will be considerably weakened because we will not have the resources to fund it, which will make us incredibly vulnerable.

Is this retribution for helping destroy Russia's economy? Will US enemies, (including Russia), use this as an excuse to attack? Even if the US threatens Russia with it's nuclear weapons, Russia has a missle defense system that will make this practically impossible unless the US has some internal nuclear weapons stored in Russia or has some kind of a stealth nuclear weapon that can avoid detection.

Is any of this a possibility? Are they effectively quarenteening America before initiating an attack?

Would anybody do this? Are geopolitical egos this big?
Brazil: they have a whole lot of problems before they try to mess with the US; we'd take them down in a few weeks.
Russia: their population is dropping and they have lots of land which is pretty much useless.
India: way too many problems close at home
China: very low birth rate which is pushing wages up real fast to the point it's cheaper to build stuff in the US.

I'm not that worried cause if it hit the fan: we'd go nuts with nukes 1st.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
The US has 4% of the world's population, but it uses 25% of the world's resources,
Four years ago I read the same thing. The world's resources, by American's use alone, should be totally used up by now according to that stat. Still driving my car to work.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,678 times
Do you have a source for any of the information? Would be appreciated.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Do you have a source for any of the information? Would be appreciated.
Which information in particular are you refering to?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Which information in particular are you refering to?
The move to change the currency. The rest I am familiar with, but that part I hadn't heard.

The way Russia and China concern me the most right now is if either the US or Isreal decides to launch a first strike against Iran. They are both big consumers of Iran's oil and IMO would not take kindly to the US playing a role in disrupting that.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
The move to change the currency. The rest I am familiar with, but that part I hadn't heard.

The way Russia and China concern me the most right now is if either the US or Isreal decides to launch a first strike against Iran. They are both big consumers of Iran's oil and IMO would not take kindly to the US playing a role in disrupting that.
That's an assumption on my part. I know that oil is typically traded in US currency, and I imagine that if the global demand for US currency diminishes, it will cause inflation that will be felt in the domestic economy, especially considering the national debt.

I admit that I don't fully understand this concept though. I figure if the dollar is less respected in the global exchange market especially considering it's heavily leveraged on debt, that countries may decide to trade with other nations that have a more stable economy.

I imagine that this would cause demand pull inflation considering the supply of good would shrink for American's domestically. Furthermore, the inability to import oil at a cheap price would cause significant cost push inflation since our economy revolves around heavy importation of light oil.

So, I'm guessing that this would totally devestate our economy and leave us incredibly vulnerable to attack. I've recently learned that the majority of our debt held by foreign nations is in the form of short term treasuries, but perhaps if they change their investment strategies, they may invest in long term bonds, so when inflation does occur, powerful countries could demand our government pay them other ways.

I'm sure our friends in Congress would be happy to sell you for 10 cents on a dollar to the Chinese or Russians.

And if we don't comply, I suppose they could initiate an attack considering we would be incredibly vulnerable. Our only deterent is the threat of nuclear attack, but if they've developed something that can nulify our nuclear threat, then we would be hopeless.

But do these kind of vengenful attacks happen in today's society?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM

I appreciate your response, and it IS interesting to speculate on. None of them have strong enough currencies to do much right now IMO, but the fact that China holds so much of our debt is disturbing.

Another war right now would cripple the US because we simply cannot afford to borrow more $$$ to attack another nation.
But I'll leave that for one of the 'red line' threads.

Again, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies