Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:15 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times

Advertisements

I guess everyday you learn something new, there apparently is a phobia where you are afraid to acknowledge there are different races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
that still doesn't mean there aren't different races. I'm black, my wife is white, last time I checked that made us different races.
...The division is a a cultural idea, not a biological fact. Therein lies the difference.

Humanity needs to outgrow the "race" idea, just like we outgrew the "civilized man vs savage man" idea of the last century.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:20 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,328 times
Quote:
that still doesn't mean there aren't different races. I'm black, my wife is white, last time I checked that made us different races.
Why is it that because you're black and your wife is white that the two of you are categorized differently--one being black and the other being white? Why does skin color, differences in phenotype, make the two of you members of different races?

Do the two of you have children? If so, what is your children's race if they come from a black father and a white mother?

Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
nope you are of different "ethnic groups"

if you have a child will he/she be RACELESS????

Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,262 times
Quote:
If you have a kid, what race is he/she going to be? And why? Are you going to apply a label based on skin color? If so, how light does your kid have to be in order to be considered "white?" What scale are you going to use to apply the label? Where is the threshold, who determined it, what criteria did they use?

You see, my nephew is black - half white, half black - but he looks black and has features that are generally associated with being black - and there is no disputing it. Nor can anyone dispute that he is half white. In my eyes, that doesn't make him racially any different - even though I understand how confusing this whole thing can be. After all, much of our lives is based on the idea of different races. He could have just as well turned out predominantly white. Would I still think he is black because he happens to not be "pure?" And if so, how much "impurity" would push him past the threshold into being "black?"

Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nope you are of different "ethnic groups"

if you have a child will he/she be RACELESS????
no, he is half black and half white. He is mixed.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
If you have a kid, what race is he/she going to be? And why? Are you going to apply a label based on skin color?
I have a kid, he is mixed. I will tell him when he is able to understand, he is half black and half white. i'm not telling there is no santa clause, or there is a boogie man, I'm just explaining that he is mixed and there are others out there like him.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
In science there are various taxonomic systems, but interestingly none of them knows the term 'race'.
I think it is just an utterly unscientific term. It dates back thousands of years, when people basically only knew what they saw.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
...The division is a a cultural idea, not a biological fact. Therein lies the difference.

Humanity needs to outgrow the "race" idea, just like we outgrew the "civilized man vs savage man" idea of the last century.
Humans don't need to outgrow the "race idea" you guys need to grow up and come back to reality. You guys make it seem like acknowledging somebody is black or white is an insult or you are saying a nasty word.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In science there are various taxonomic systems, but interestingly none of them knows the term 'race'.
I think it is just an utterly unscientific term. It dates back thousands of years, when people basically only knew what they saw.
Actually, the first usage of the term "race" was during the 16th century.

Quote:
"Race" Etymology

"people of common descent," c.1500, from M.Fr. razza "race, breed, lineage," possibly from It. razza, of unknown origin (cf. Sp., Port. raza). Original senses in English included "wines with characteristic flavor" (1520), "group of people with common occupation" (c.1500), and "generation" (c.1560). Meaning "tribe, nation, or people regarded as of common stock" is from c.1600. Modern meaning of "one of the great divisions of mankind based on physical peculiarities" is from 1774 (though even among anthropologists there never has been an accepted classification of these).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies