Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 05:46 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,449 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what democrats thought about this. Please give your honest opinion. When you really think about it, do you believe the mainstream media and cnn lean to the left and therefore their coverage is biased? I know what republicans think and I know that talk radio is far to the right and npr to the left. I`m also not talking about the hannity`s and limbaugh`s or the matthew`s and people that are extreme to each side. I`m talking about mainstream and cnn. Do democrats really believe there is fair unbiased treatment in the media?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,210,714 times
Do republicans get fair treatment

Democrats = Yes

Republicans = No

Independents = Don't care

What more is there to say?

Old 09-14-2012, 06:02 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,952,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I was wondering what democrats thought about this. Please give your honest opinion. When you really think about it, do you believe the mainstream media and cnn lean to the left and therefore their coverage is biased? I know what republicans think and I know that talk radio is far to the right and npr to the left. I`m also not talking about the hannity`s and limbaugh`s or the matthew`s and people that are extreme to each side. I`m talking about mainstream and cnn. Do democrats really believe there is fair unbiased treatment in the media?
Conservatives taught me that MSM is biased, but so is the right-wing media, do you believe Dems get a fair shake from the likes of The Blaze or The Godfather News. Learn to deal with it and try going to less biased sources, some will disagree but AP and BBC are far better than MSM or FOX, verify what you hear and read, you will be fine if you do so with an open mind.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:04 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,075,934 times
Quote:
We could give you an answer, but I have a feeling you already have a predetermined answer in your head and will just dismiss whatever we say that doesn't agree with your opinion.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Conservatives taught me that MSM is biased, but so is the right-wing media, do you believe Dems get a fair shake from the likes of The Blaze or The Godfather News. Learn to deal with it and try going to less biased sources, some will disagree but AP and BBC are far better than MSM or FOX, verify what you hear and read, you will be fine if you do so with an open mind.
The problem is ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN are all biased. And they are watched by a lot of people. Those main networks drive the narrative. That is the problem.
I'd like to see examples where the msm took Obama to task, like they did Bush or would a Republican. It doesn't happen, unless rarely.
You mention Fox News and talk radio, the only people who listen or watch are from the right.
Many others watch msm, thinking they are getting unbiased news and the whole story, which is rarely the case.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:13 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,075,934 times
if the media is so biased, how did bush 1 and bush 2 win 3 combined elections? How is it, the republicans took back the house in 2010? I think you guys just hate obama so much, if the media says anything good about him or bad about romney, the media is obviously liberal.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:14 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,501,119 times
Maybe if Republican's toned down the 'anyone but Obama' rhetoric and concentrated on more mainstream issues that affect the majority of Americans their message would be more playable. Right now their ideas are from the 1980's and are not "news".

Old 09-14-2012, 06:16 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,952,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
The problem is ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN are all biased. And they are watched by a lot of people. Those main networks drive the narrative. That is the problem.
I'd like to see examples where the msm took Obama to task, like they did Bush or would a Republican. It doesn't happen, unless rarely.
You mention Fox News and talk radio, the only people who listen or watch are from the right.
Many others watch msm, thinking they are getting unbiased news and the whole story, which is rarely the case.
If you know an answer to the problem please feel free to tell us, maybe law that states all news are accountable when it comes to reporting the Truth with heavy fines for Lieing. I doubt anyone would go for it since we seem to believe that Lieing is a right, my opinion is that it only applies to individuals.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 PM

629 posts, read 946,752 times
Quote:
From my perspective--and I used to listen to a lot of NPR--NPR isn't far left. It's fairly centrist. it gets a lot of viewpoints, the stories are often in-depth, there are a TON of non-political stories. You could spend 20 minutes-an hour hearing a story about some educational program that is getting good results, or about a police corruption scandal, or about very local political issues, or a retrospective on Gracie Allen's run for president in 1940 (that was fun), or about how a whole family is now permanently on dialysis after eating poisonous mushrooms, plus sometimes even stuff I find boring. A lot of their major sponsors are large corporations (like ADM), which doesn't tend to push left. If anything, their bias as a broadcast network is toward the interests of the educated upper middle class. Their announcers / hosts tend to have fairly soothing voices, they are polite and let guests talk, and they do not sound or act combative like Hannity et al. The Story Corps vignettes (normal people talking about their lives) can be boring or really interesting.

How Public Is Public Radio?

I think the mainstream media(CNN, the broadcast networks) is just that--mainstream, i.e. relatively centrist. MSNBC seems to skew left. Current TV actually IS unapologetically left (as was Air America) but no one watches that since Olbermann left as far as I know. Fox skews right.

From what I can tell from friends in the media, the obvious biases aren't necessarily always political (since journalists are educated to be on guard about that), but tend to be the biases people have without really being aware of them--assumptions we make about how the world is, for example, or subtle influence of big sponsors. I also think there are serious problems with journalistic laziness and also lack of funding and that problem is systemic.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
From my perspective--and I used to listen to a lot of NPR--NPR isn't far left. It's fairly centrist. it gets a lot of viewpoints, the stories are often in-depth, there are a TON of non-political stories. You could spend 20 minutes-an hour hearing a story about some educational program that is getting good results, or about a police corruption scandal, or about very local political issues, or a retrospective on Gracie Allen's run for president in 1940 (that was fun), or about how a whole family is now permanently on dialysis after eating poisonous mushrooms, plus sometimes even stuff I find boring. A lot of their major sponsors are large corporations (like ADM), which doesn't tend to push left. If anything, their bias as a broadcast network is toward the interests of the educated upper middle class. Their announcers / hosts tend to have fairly soothing voices, they are polite and let guests talk, and they do not sound or act combative like Hannity et al. The Story Corps vignettes (normal people talking about their lives) can be boring or really interesting.

How Public Is Public Radio?

I think the mainstream media(CNN, the broadcast networks) is just that--mainstream, i.e. relatively centrist. MSNBC seems to skew left. Current TV actually IS unapologetically left (as was Air America) but no one watches that since Olbermann left as far as I know. Fox skews right.

From what I can tell from friends in the media, the obvious biases aren't necessarily always political (since journalists are educated to be on guard about that), but tend to be the biases people have without really being aware of them--assumptions we make about how the world is, for example, or subtle influence of big sponsors. I also think there are serious problems with journalistic laziness and also lack of funding and that problem is systemic.
thanks for your perspective. So far you are the only one who can comprehend a question or a post. Everyone else seems to think it`s a trick question. lol I do agree with you about npr having some non-political stories but I personally think they lean to the left. Though I haven`t listened to npr in a while.

I also can`t stand to listen to hannity or limbaugh but I do think that some shows on fox are more toward the center or I should say slightly right of center. However I do think that cnn and all of the major networks are left of center and so when someone listens to fox they get a complete different spin on things. I listen to a little of cnn and a little of fox to try and hear 2 different spins. But cnn seems to lean more and more left. Some on there are the opposite version of hannity. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies