Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:48 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Liberals don't dislike Sarah Palin because she's strong and vocal. They attack her because (whether she is or not) they think she's as dumb as a wall and/or a demagogue. While liberals don't always *agree* with Condoleezza Rice, most respect her as an articulate, intelligent, conservative black woman. Do you see the difference?

(My very-liberal dad had a lot of respect and admiration for Elizabeth Dole. It was kind of cute).
Look, I`m not crazy about Sarah Palin. But look at who the dems haul out,pelosi, fluk, etc. The dem are the ones who try to cojure up this war on women stuff and divide people. They try to make it sound as if they are for women and repubs are agianst women. Same thing with minorities. So when some right wing screwball like limbaugh calls fluk a name, they are all over it. Like it`s the worst thing that ever happen. But when palin, bachmann, etc. get attacked and called vile names, it`s ok. Your excuse is, well she is stupid. The fact is those women are probably more intelligent and accomplished than you are. But because you don`t like their politics or their style, you say it`s ok to belittle them or call them names and it has nothing to do with them being strong conservative women. Can`t you see the hypocrisy in that? It`s the same thing with limbaugh and his kind belittling and calling pelosi and fluk names. They are doing it because they think they are as dumb as a bag of rocks not because they are women. Don`t you see how your argument works both ways?

That`s the problem I have with dems. They are the most hypocrital and intolerant. I saw the daily show with john stewart a few weeks ago. They were at the dem convention. They were interviewing people that were talking about how inclusive they were and how they accept everyone and their differences. They were going on about how they weren`t intolerant of other`s views like the repubs and they didn`t call people names etc. Then they proceeded to do just that. They were calling names, stereotyping, etc. The reporters kept trying to get them to see that they were doing the exact same thing that they accused the other side of doing and they couldn`t even see it. I see the same here. We belittle palin and her family because she is stupid not because we disagree with her. lol No, you are doing it because you disagree with her not because she is stupid. She is way more accomplished than fluk and doesn`t come across anymore ditzy than pelosi or how about some of those other dem women such as maxine waters.

Dems seem to make excuses for their intolerance but they want to jump all over repubs for making any disparaging remark about a liberal woman or minority. Then they claim they are the inclusive party and are the party of women and minorities. No. you are the party of liberals. As long as the women or minority holds your belief, then you are fine. But if they don`t, then they are stupid and dumb, etc. It really amazing how the double standard runs in liberal circles and they are totally oblivious to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 04:17 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,147,119 times
"Do republicans get fair treatment?"

No, and how dare you ask for such a thing. Republicans should be tolerant of everyone and should treat everyone fairly, but everyone else should treat them like the right wing, Kool-aid drinking, tea baggers they are.

:eyeroll: this is sarcasm for those of you whos sarcasm detectors are broken.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:16 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,963,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatTheKing View Post
I think folks on the right do have kind of a hard time with some of our mainstream media sources, but I don't see it as primarily a left/right thing. It's more about more subtle norms / values.

A perfect example - when Sarah Palin was getting bashed for her response to the Katie Couric question about which newspaper or magazine she read, the piling on that happened to her could be seen as pretty unfair. She was treated pretty awfully in the press about that. Or the same thing when candidate George W. Bush said that Jesus was his favorite political philosopher - stuff like that just gets _savaged_ in the press.

That sort of things happens kind of a lot, and I don't feel like I see something equivalent happening to more left-leaning politicians in the press... but the thing is, they mostly just don't say stuff like that.

I'm having a hard time sorting through my own reaction here. My sense is that a lot of the things that the press bashes Republicans for have a kind of cultural component that really isn't about left/right viewpoints so much as... ways of thinking about critical thought and analysis and abstraction. Essentially, the values that are promoted in higher education. What I mean, is, I think there are certain ways of arguing or reasoning that many conservatives are very comfortable with, and consider fine and legitimate, that the press mostly won't go along with, and can be pretty disdainful about... particularly if they smell blood / weakness. Because bad liberal arguments tend to be bad in different ways (it's hard to imagine a left-leaning politician making an argument similar to Bush about Jesus the political philosopher), they don't trip the press's go-for-the-throat instinct in the same way - when the press piled on Anthony Weiner, for example, no liberal felt like he was actually making legitimate arguments and the press was being unfair. I think that happens pretty often for conservatives.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that if you are William F. Buckley or Milton Friedman today, I would be surprised if your press coverage was really any different from any other public intellectual. But the rhetoric of populism on the right runs counter to the press's values as college-educated professionals.

The other thing I would gently suggest is that, because conservatives are very frequently rural or suburban (by definition a bit self-segregating), they tend to be big fish in their small ponds. They're accustomed to being the majority in the groups they are in, and having authority itself (their authority, their local gov't authority, whatever) respected and relatively unquestioned. The Democratic coalition has a lot more either city-dwellers or minorities (or both) - part of being either of those things is spending a lot more time being different from most people you are around. Mainstream media is always pretty superficial and shallow and borderline unfair, regardless of who its covering. But if you're a minority, you're accustomed to dealing with that all the time anyway. The news isn't any different than the rest of your interactions with people you don't know well. It's not a cause for alarm that they get stuff wrong. I suspect that a lot of conservatives get a lot less practices dealing with that sort of thing in their daily lives (by design), and so its more upsetting to them when they're on the receiving end of it. If you think mainstream news is unfair to conservatives, just imagine trying to be a hardworking middle class African-American in this country - the nightly news is practically a giant advertisement 15 minute advertisement for white people to be terrified of black men every single night of the week.
Let me summarize this ridiculous and offensive post. "Republicans are stupid, and the media doesn't like stupid people."

More condescending arrogance from a liberal. You probably have a future in what masquerades as journalism these days.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:18 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,963,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Liberals don't dislike Sarah Palin because she's strong and vocal. They attack her because (whether she is or not) they think she's as dumb as a wall and/or a demagogue. While liberals don't always *agree* with Condoleezza Rice, most respect her as an articulate, intelligent, conservative black woman. Do you see the difference?

(My very-liberal dad had a lot of respect and admiration for Elizabeth Dole. It was kind of cute).
Liberals don't respect Condi Rice or any other conservative woman. They just say they do when it serves as some attempt to justify their indefensible personal attacks on other conservative women.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:22 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I was wondering what democrats thought about this. Please give your honest opinion. When you really think about it, do you believe the mainstream media and cnn lean to the left and therefore their coverage is biased? I know what republicans think and I know that talk radio is far to the right and npr to the left. I`m also not talking about the hannity`s and limbaugh`s or the matthew`s and people that are extreme to each side. I`m talking about mainstream and cnn. Do democrats really believe there is fair unbiased treatment in the media?
In some ways I think they get what they deserve.

i.e. They claim to be for less government and spending yet grow government and spend like drunken sailors when it suits their agenda,

i.e. They continually make lame attempts at climbing up on the high moral horse, alleging some mythical moral superiority to Democrats, and then demonstrate they're clueless when it comes to riding that horse.

What would constitute 'fair' treatment to that group?

Old 09-15-2012, 05:47 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,183,469 times
Quote:
Look, I`m not crazy about Sarah Palin. But look at who the dems haul out,pelosi, fluk, etc. The dem are the ones who try to cojure up this war on women stuff and divide people. They try to make it sound as if they are for women and repubs are agianst women. Same thing with minorities. So when some right wing screwball like limbaugh calls fluk a name, they are all over it. Like it`s the worst thing that ever happen. But when palin, bachmann, etc. get attacked and called vile names, it`s ok. Your excuse is, well she is stupid. The fact is those women are probably more intelligent and accomplished than you are. But because you don`t like their politics or their style, you say it`s ok to belittle them or call them names and it has nothing to do with them being strong conservative women. Can`t you see the hypocrisy in that? It`s the same thing with limbaugh and his kind belittling and calling pelosi and fluk names. They are doing it because they think they are as dumb as a bag of rocks not because they are women. Don`t you see how your argument works both ways?

That`s the problem I have with dems. They are the most hypocrital and intolerant. I saw the daily show with john stewart a few weeks ago. They were at the dem convention. They were interviewing people that were talking about how inclusive they were and how they accept everyone and their differences. They were going on about how they weren`t intolerant of other`s views like the repubs and they didn`t call people names etc. Then they proceeded to do just that. They were calling names, stereotyping, etc. The reporters kept trying to get them to see that they were doing the exact same thing that they accused the other side of doing and they couldn`t even see it. I see the same here. We belittle palin and her family because she is stupid not because we disagree with her. lol No, you are doing it because you disagree with her not because she is stupid. She is way more accomplished than fluk and doesn`t come across anymore ditzy than pelosi or how about some of those other dem women such as maxine waters.

Dems seem to make excuses for their intolerance but they want to jump all over repubs for making any disparaging remark about a liberal woman or minority. Then they claim they are the inclusive party and are the party of women and minorities. No. you are the party of liberals. As long as the women or minority holds your belief, then you are fine. But if they don`t, then they are stupid and dumb, etc. It really amazing how the double standard runs in liberal circles and they are totally oblivious to it.

I'm a Dem (most of the time), but i have to admit, you make some good points. We are hypocritical at times. Your post is thought-provoking.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Liberals don't respect Condi Rice or any other conservative woman. They just say they do when it serves as some attempt to justify their indefensible personal attacks on other conservative women.
Wow, funny how everyone is supposed to take the word of a GOP hack for what liberals think and mean, yeah right

Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Had to rep you for that line alone.
Why? He doesn't even know it's Tea Party, not "teabaggers."

Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 PM

629 posts, read 946,824 times
Quote:
I didn't say that Sarah Palin deserves to be called vile names at all. I said that liberals don't LIKE her because they think she is either stupid, a demagogue, or both. (I also don't argue that the former Miss Alaska and former governor of Alaska is less accomplished than I am). There are plenty of strong, conservative women who don't go around saying stupid and polarizing things, though, which Palin unarguably does. So when people object to Palin it isn't necessarily because of her "strength and conservativism."

The point I don't think you've established is that the people who called Palin names are the same people who got all up in arms about Rush Limbaugh. Bill Maher, one of the biggest liberal douches out there, called Palin names and supported Rush, sort of.

What bothered me, personally, about the Sandra Fluke issue, is that none of the conservative attacks on her had much of anything to do with what she said or did. This kind of blatant disregard for what actually happened makes it nearly impossible to discuss issues with any sanity. I read her testimony and the things Rush said about her were pure fantasy. She testified about married women and women with medical conditions that she knew who were adversely affected by Georgetown's medical coverage policy (including, incidentally, violations of the policy coverage terms, and noting that Georgetown's insurance plan premiums are entirely paid by the students--not the university), and not her own sex life at all. Nearly every objection I've read to her seems based on a straw man.

At least Palin mostly gets attacked for stuff she actually *says*.

Quote:

I agree with you that a lot of liberals THINK they are more tolerant than they actually are. But another thing is we don't think we should apologize on behalf of anyone else, so I won't apologize for Sarah Palin being called names because I didn't call her one. You'll have to take that up with someone who does it.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Do republicans get fair treatment

Democrats = Yes

Republicans = No

Independents = Don't care

What more is there to say?
So what you are saying is Republicans are playing the "victim card."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies