Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,341 times

Advertisements

Community Health workers lose jobs for refusing shots - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Healthcare workers how do you feel getting forced to have a controversial vaccine injected in you? The first thought that came to my mind was Josef Mengele.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
They need it in part so they don't get sick and share it with medically vulnerable patients.
Quote:
"What we found is that health care workers, as with anyone in the general population, could actually have the flu and not know it for approximately 24 hours and so the potential to spread the flu virus to patients is quite significant," said Birk.
Additionally there could be exemptions for medical or religiopous reasons.

Quote:
The only exception to not get the shot was for health reasons, like an allergy to the vaccine or for religious reasons. In both cases, employees were required to get a signed waiver saying why they couldn't receive the vaccine.
If this is an issue, they need to be in another field. To me this is no different than a teacher who refuses to submit their fingerprints for a criminal check.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
Community Health workers lose jobs for refusing shots - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Healthcare workers how do you feel getting forced to have a controversial vaccine injected in you? The first thought that came to my mind was Josef Mengele.
Really, I shouldn't respond to you, since you Godwined your own thread, but here goes.

I don't think the flu shot is all that controversial; it takes the most likely strains of flu and protects most people who get the shot. Having that person protected, also helps to protect people around them who may not be able to get vaccinated. It does not cause autism and it does not cause the vaccinated person to get sick.

In the health care profession - and especially in hospitals - healthcare workers are constantly in contact with people who are already sick, injured, or post-surgical. Adding the flu on top of COPD, autoimmune disorders, or recovery from surgery would also add a serious risk to the life and health of the very people they are supposed to be helping.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
In my hospital, you get a sticker on your ID badge when you get the flu shot. The sticker is different every year. If you do not have the sticker, you are required to wear a mask during all patient contact.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
As a healthcare worker, I do not have a problem with being mandated to get the vaccine. If you refuse, you should have to wear a mask when coming in contact with patients. My husband, who works at a hospital, had the option of getting the vaccine or wearing a mask. It is the right thing to do to protect the already vulnerable patients.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
In my hospital, you get a sticker on your ID badge when you get the flu shot. The sticker is different every year. If you do not have the sticker, you are required to wear a mask during all patient contact.
I would opt out and wear a mask instead of getting the shot (I'm in hospital administration, not a provider). I read the flu shot causes Guillain–Barré syndrome.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 PM

106 posts, read 69,845 times
So what...I have to go above and beyond what the normal person does on Tetanus shots.

I'm cut and bleeding on rusty metal nearly every day.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
I would opt out and wear a mask instead of getting the shot (I'm in hospital administration, not a provider). I read the flu shot causes Guillain–Barré syndrome.
Possibly, in rare cases. Your chances of getting it from the actual flu are higher, so I don't know if yours is the best game plan.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
the last time i got a flu shot, i contracted the flu. that was back in 1976. i havent have a flu shot since, and i havent had the flu since either.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the last time i got a flu shot, i contracted the flu. that was back in 1976. i havent have a flu shot since, and i havent had the flu since either.
For the 1,000,000th time: THE FLU SHOT DOES NOT CAUSE YOU TO GET THE FLU!!!!

You probably contracted the virus in the weeks after your shot and before your immune system built up enough antibodies to fight it. The CDC itself says it can take 2 weeks (on average) for a flu shot to give you full protection. This is why it's important to get the shot EARLY so you can be fully protected by the time flu season hits. 36,000+ people die from the flu every year. If you wait for another strain like the 1918 Spanish flu to come around, literally a hundred million can die.... don't let it be you out of ignorance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

Anecdotal evidence should not be used to make a scientific decision about your own health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies