Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

While you people are discussing your scientific theories and political/ideological agendas, nature is establishing facts, namely a clear, dramatic loss of ice in Arctic, and an increase of ice in parts of the Antarctica.
Whatever the consequences of those developments, they won't be beneficial to most humans...

Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,514,425 times
I don't deny climate change but I do question how much mankind plays a role in it. The subject has become so political and polarized that it's difficult to take anyone seriously these days.

Having said that, I can say from my observations living in the Arctic, with a view of the ocean from my bedroom, that this year has been a lot warmer and wetter then my first year here. At this time of year we should have 6-12" of snow on the ground already but instead we're getting rain, a lot of rain; and not the drizzly, misty rain we normally see here but actual heavy rain as well as thunder (two booms that I know of). We're running a good 10-15 degrees above normal for this time of year (though this week does show signs of cooling to below freezing but still a good nine degrees above what we should see).

Barrow Sea Ice Webcam

This should be covered in snow now instead of mud

Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
While you people are discussing your scientific theories and political/ideological agendas, nature is establishing facts, namely a clear, dramatic loss of ice in Arctic, and an increase of ice in parts of the Antarctica.
Whatever the consequences of those developments, they won't be beneficial to most humans...

Interesting statement. You admit you have no idea what the consequences are from such, but you conclude it won't be beneficial to most humans. You do realize the absurdity of such a statement do you not?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Interesting statement. You admit you have no idea what the consequences are from such, but you conclude it won't be beneficial to most humans. You do realize the absurdity of such a statement do you not?
It is not absurd. Life on earth - especially human life as that is what matters most to me - has spread the way it has because the climate has been pretty stable for a long time now. No matter which big changes happen at either pole, they will change things around the globe, which already is a negative development...
If for instance the Gulf stream went away, that would be catastrophic for Europe.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
It is not absurd. Life on earth - especially human life as that is what matters most to me - has spread the way it has because the climate has been pretty stable for a long time now. No matter which big changes happen at either pole, they will change things around the globe, which already is a negative development...
If for instance the Gulf stream went away, that would be catastrophic for Europe.
You have no idea of the consequences, but you are sure they are negative. That statement alone is completely invalid as it states a certainty from a previously declared uncertainty. How do you know things will be negative if you have no idea what the consequences are? Do you understand the error of your statement now?

Some changes might be bad for some areas, but good for others. The thing is, if you don't know "what" is changing exactly and you don't know what the results of such change will be, then you don't know if it will be negative or not.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I don't deny climate change but I do question how much mankind plays a role in it. The subject has become so political and polarized that it's difficult to take anyone seriously these days.

Having said that, I can say from my observations living in the Arctic, with a view of the ocean from my bedroom, that this year has been a lot warmer and wetter then my first year here. At this time of year we should have 6-12" of snow on the ground already but instead we're getting rain, a lot of rain; and not the drizzly, misty rain we normally see here but actual heavy rain as well as thunder (two booms that I know of). We're running a good 10-15 degrees above normal for this time of year (though this week does show signs of cooling to below freezing but still a good nine degrees above what we should see).

Barrow Sea Ice Webcam

This should be covered in snow now instead of mud

You posted this yesterday, I looked at it today. It is now covered with snow. How many inches did you get? Seasons will shift a bit depending on climate. While there are some consistencies in occurrence, it is not unprecedented to have less or more of a certain occurrence. Last year, there were some extreme cold records set in Alaska, all time records. What does it mean in terms of climate? /shrug We don't know enough to establish a conclusion to any real meaning, especially as it concerns climate.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,514,425 times
Quote:
You posted this yesterday, I looked at it today. It is now covered with snow. How many inches did you get? Seasons will shift a bit depending on climate. While there are some consistencies in occurrence, it is not unprecedented to have less or more of a certain occurrence. Last year, there were some extreme cold records set in Alaska, all time records. What does it mean in terms of climate? /shrug We don't know enough to establish a conclusion to any real meaning, especially as it concerns climate.
We got about an inch last night. Usually the snowpack is established by now, the snow that should have started in September staying on the ground until next Summer but so far every snowfall we've had has been light and gone in a day or two. We'll see if last nights snow is the start of the snowpack.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You have no idea of the consequences, but you are sure they are negative. That statement alone is completely invalid as it states a certainty from a previously declared uncertainty. How do you know things will be negative if you have no idea what the consequences are? Do you understand the error of your statement now?

Some changes might be bad for some areas, but good for others. The thing is, if you don't know "what" is changing exactly and you don't know what the results of such change will be, then you don't know if it will be negative or not.
There are simulations for all kinds of climate scenarios. No major climate change in any direction (ice age, warm age, rising oceans, etc.) would be beneficial to the majority of humans.

Well, let's wait and see how the ice coverage will develop during the upcoming summer down there...

Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
There are simulations for all kinds of climate scenarios. No major climate change in any direction (ice age, warm age, rising oceans, etc.) would be beneficial to the majority of humans.

Well, let's wait and see how the ice coverage will develop during the upcoming summer down there...

simulations...

Let me point that out again, simulations...

This again brings us back to the issue of not knowing. You can "simulate" all day long, but if you are not sure what you are "simulating", then all you are doing is guessing. If you are guessing, then you really don't know and we are back to the issue of you not knowing the consequences and then making conclusions as to a certainty.

Yep, let us wait till next summer. Thing is, what will they say if it gets nowhere near even 2007 levels? Remember, right after the 2007 melt, we had consistent growth for a couple of years before it started dropping again. If next year shows the same behavior, what will it mean? Will we then have to "speculate" that wait till "next year for it to happen", and then "next year", and then "next year" as they have been claiming since 2007? Mark Serenze of the NSIDC has been proclaiming an ice less arctic since before 2007 and each year that he is wrong, he claims it will be the next year.

So yes, we will see and it will be the same as it has been in the past. If it doesn't lose heavily, there will be lots of excuses and claims of next year, if it does lose heavily, it will be their claim of validation. They can't lose because even when they are wrong, they apparently are right. /boggle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies