Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:47 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Gosh... maybe Dan Quayle should be the Republican nominee?
The frightening thing is that Dan Quayle circa 1992 looks like a mental giant compared to Allen West, Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin and the entire Tea Party crowd.

Dan Quayle - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yeah, and the "conservative," right-wing, Evangelical Christian value system it doing wonders too, right?

Let me count the ways:

1. Roughly 40% of women sitting in church today have had abortions.

2. Teenage pregnancy affects the Church too.

3. Instead of old fashioned adultery, we have serial adultery in the Church. 50% of church members have been married before.

You really want to compare?..Really..lets just look at the inner cities.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
You really want to compare?..Really..lets just look at the inner cities.
I don't think you're getting the point.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yeah, and the "conservative," right-wing, Evangelical Christian value system it doing wonders too, right?

Let me count the ways:

1. Roughly 40% of women sitting in church today have had abortions.

2. Teenage pregnancy affects the Church too.

3. Instead of old fashioned adultery, we have serial adultery in the Church. 50% of church members have been married before.
Links please.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default Liberal admits: Dan Quayle was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This woman is from the left-leaning Brookings Institute think tank and here's the headline for her op-ed piece:

Twenty Years Later, It Turns Out Dan Quayle Was Right About Murphy Brown and Unmarried Moms | Brookings Institution

She notes that cohabitating relationships are more fragile and more likely to break up, which is devastating economically.

She also notes:

Second, a wealth of research strongly suggests that marriage is good for children. Those who live with their biological parents do better in school and are less likely to get pregnant or arrested. They have lower rates of suicide, achieve higher levels of education and earn more as adults. Meanwhile, children who spend time in single-parent families are more likely to misbehave, get sick, drop out of high school and be unemployed.

I don't agree with a lot of what Dan Quayle says, especially on the gay issue, but he really was right 20 years about about the devastating effects of having kids without being married, but he was demonized by the liberal media and Hollywood.

You know it's been tough week for right wingers when they reach back 20 years to Dan Quayle for some feel-good memories.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
What does any of this have to do with marriage?

Missed this part;
"She notes that cohabitating relationships are more fragile and more likely to break up, which is devastating economically."

That would be the unmarried.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 PM

83 posts, read 79,557 times
Too bad he was an awful, awful, awful spokesman for his cause, and probably did more harm than good by opening his mouth.

You know how you conservatives feel when Michelle Obama "scolds" and "nags" people about eating healthy, even though she's clearly and obviously correct?

It's not any better when it's super-genius-man-of-profound-empathy Dan Quayle mouthing off about his opinions on family formation.

I know what it sounds like when people actually care about the people they're talking about. I'm fairly liberal, but, for example, I take something like this, from Rod Dreher, as being said in good faith, and something I can take pretty seriously: Honey Boo Boo Nation | The American Conservative

But Dan Quayle is just running his mouth for cheap points from his own side. It's all the divisive culture war garbage. He was clearly part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:47 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatTheKing View Post
Too bad he was an awful, awful, awful spokesman for his cause, and probably did more harm than good by opening his mouth.

You know how you conservatives feel when Michelle Obama "scolds" and "nags" people about eating healthy, even though she's clearly and obviously correct?

It's not any better when it's super-genius-man-of-profound-empathy Dan Quayle mouthing off about his opinions on family formation.

I know what it sounds like when people actually care about the people they're talking about. I'm fairly liberal, but, for example, I take something like this, from Rod Dreher, as being said in good faith, and something I can take pretty seriously: Honey Boo Boo Nation | The American Conservative

But Dan Quayle is just running his mouth for cheap points from his own side. It's all the divisive culture war garbage. He was clearly part of the problem rather than part of the solution.
i agree, and i'd add that some people (liberals, in particular) act like this is just a religious issue. it is not , it is a social issue with social consequences.

someone asked, "what we can do about it." I'd say: increase womens' access to abortions. Obviously, preaching abstinence hasn't been effective at actually preventing casual unprotected sex.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatTheKing View Post

What a wonderful explanation as to why people should ignore Michelle.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What a wonderful explanation as to why people should ignore Michelle.
You'll never know how much I enjoy watching you thinly-veiled right-wingers get your undies in a bundle over Michelle Obama. If I were you, I'd hold my breath until she takes back the school lunches and gives you and the little Pugsleys back the Twinkies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies