Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I do know where that number (95% of climate scientists believe that human activity is a major contributor to global warming) is coming from, and it is not the news media, or some blog....That is where you get your denialist crap... http://tigger.uic.edu/~pdoran/012009_Doran_final.pdf
Setting aside the numerous technical issues like limiting IP's to one vote, actually not knowing who the person voting was and simple methodology issues like 90% of scientists polled being from the US lets' look at the question.

Quote:
2. Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?
What is the quantification of significant? For example a homeless person would consider $100 a significant amount of money while Donald Trump would consider it peanuts. The question itself is subjective and without quantifying the meaning of the term "significant" the results should not be surprising. This is a carefully worded simplistic question to get a desired result.

Having said that the 95% (actually 97.4) figure comes from a grand total of 79 self described climate scientists. There waa 10K this survey was sent too with approximately 3000 responding. That 3000 was whittled down to 79 to arrive at that number.

Shall I go on?

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-25-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 PM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times
Carry on if you like, but even you have to admit that the earth is warming, right? I agree with the science, and you can do as you want...What will be will be, but the cause is becoming more obvious every year...Even past warming events involved CO2...

Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Carry on if you like, but even you have to admit that the earth is warming, right?
Sanspeur I don't think there is too much evidence to suggest otherwise, the debate remains over what is causing it, to what degree and if there is really anything we can do about. Climate is very complex and the science is in it's infancy. There is also the political issues such as if we stop burning coal to what purpose does that serve if a country like China is increasing their consumption by enormous quantities. If you want a perspective on that they burn 5X what we do and their consumption rate within the last decade alone has increased what we burn in total.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 AM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sanspeur I don't think there is too much evidence to suggest otherwise, the debate remains over what is causing it, to what degree and if there is really anything we can do about. Climate is very complex and the science is in it's infancy. There is also the political issues such as if we stop burning coal to what purpose does that serve if a country like China is increasing their consumption by enormous quantities. If you want a perspective on that they burn 5X what we do and their consumption rate within the last decade alone has increased what we burn in total.
So, what do you suggest, that we just throw up our hands and carry on polluting because other countries do it?

China is the worst offender, but I was surprised to see that the US is not that far behind, being the second worst...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...xide_emissions

Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
China is the worst offender, but I was surprised to see that the US is not that far behind, being the second worst...
List of countries by carbon dioxide emissions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The amount of vehicles and other factors is what is keeping us close. If it were just coal it would be about 5:1 ratio.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:24 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times
Quote:
I do know where that number (95% of climate scientists believe that human activity is a major contributor to global warming) is coming from, and it is not the news media, or some blog....That is where you get your denialist crap... http://tigger.uic.edu/~pdoran/012009_Doran_final.pdf
76 out of 79 hand picked climate scientists... 76??????

And you think 76 scientists is critical mass? I'm sure somebody could find 76 somewhere else that disagree with your 76.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Carry on if you like, but even you have to admit that the earth is warming, right? I agree with the science, and you can do as you want...What will be will be, but the cause is becoming more obvious every year...Even past warming events involved CO2...
Yes, the earth is warming.... and cooling. It always has and always will. Yes, I believe the science.

And you have it backwards. Warming causes increases in CO2.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
So, what do you suggest, that we just throw up our hands and carry on polluting because other countries do it?
CO2 is not pollution.

Yes, I agree that we should address pollution. And we have done so quite well for a few decades. Those efforts to control real pollution should continue.

Unfortunately, the CO2 alarmists have taken our focus, money and resources from fighting real pollution.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
76 out of 79 hand picked climate scientists... 76??????

And you think 76 scientists is critical mass? I'm sure somebody could find 76 somewhere else that disagree with your 76.
The 79 were picked based on their answers to the questionnaire but you could certainly set a bias criteria. One specific question asked them something along the lines of what was their predominant field and that itself has issues. If you're a geologist studying ancient climate are you a geologist or climate scientist?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The 79 were picked based on their answers to the questionnaire but you could certainly set a bias criteria. One specific question asked them something along the lines of what was their predominant field and that itself has issues. If you're a geologist studying ancient climate are you a geologist or climate scientist?
Actually, the percentage of geologists who answered "Yes" to question #2 (whether climate change was the result of humans) was only 47% (48 of 103), the lowest percentage of the survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies