Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Regardless of what weed smokers want to say, I've never seen anyone benefit positively from marijuana. I remember once I was at a charter school trying to finish my classes for HS. This one kid came to school totally lit. I had never seen someone high in real life. He sat down next to me and smelled awful and looked like he was possessed. His eyes were blood-shot red and his mind was fried. He couldn't concentrate whatsoever and was slurring his words and sentences. It got so bad that he just decided to quit and go home. That right there had me ultimately convinced that this so called feel-good "harmless" and "natural" drug was no good. I've never seen such a sad and pathetic human being in all my life. This drug looked like it was killing him. He was not like he used to be. He was a very vibrant, smart, and alive guy normally. He turned into a braid dead zombie on that drug. He looked like such a loser. This why I have never smoked. Never even tried. The movies advertise pot as a great and funny thing. It's not funny to me. It's a waste of a life. I can get a natural high doing tons of fun stuff sober.

That certainly does not sound as if pot was the culprit in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Meh, who really cares? Pot is fun when you're 15...but something most everyone outgrows by the time they're 19. Yeah, there are some old stoners that never grew up, but pretty few and far between. Besides, it's the illicit factor that makes it interesting, what fun would it be if it were legal?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Meh, who really cares? Pot is fun when you're 15...but something most everyone outgrows by the time they're 19. Yeah, there are some old stoners that never grew up, but pretty few and far between. Besides, it's the illicit factor that makes it interesting, what fun would it be if it were legal?
It is something to care about when people end up with criminal records for doing it. People shouldn't be going to jail for pot when it isn't worse than alcohol.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 PM

10,398 posts, read 572,374 times
Aside from the legalization aspect, I personally cannot smoke pot because of the tachycardia. In fact, when I was a teenager I ended up in the ER with severe tachycardia, severely paranoid and actually thought that I was dying. Looking back, they probably knew I was high and gave me a Valium for anxiety. It happened once or twice after that as well and I finally said to myself, hey this sucks! It's not enjoyable or pleasurable in any way. As a teenager growing up in the 70's my friends all thought I was crazy and I was the only one who seemed to be suffering from these symptoms. I have always considered myself allergic or sensitive to marijuana and have avoided it since. I am envious of other people who don't have these reactions. I wish I could smoke it. Aside from all of this I think the benefits outweigh any harm it may or may not cause. I know people who have been smoking pot for years and have healthy Cardiovascular systems. Alcohol is far worse, as are. prescription pain meds, obesity, tobacco, inactivity, etc.....

Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Regardless of what weed smokers want to say, I've never seen anyone benefit positively from marijuana.
I have never smoked weed but I've seen people benefit from it.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:40 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
It's very difficult to find any scientific studies about marijuana, but the common fact that it causes tachycardia ought to be potentially dangerous.

There are ancedotal cases, and perhaps, a Dutch or a Portuguese agency has supporting documentation, but I believe that it can cause cardial problems.

I wish, someone would clarify this, so that people would not put themselves in potentially dangerous posisitions, they would unlikely be in, if they knew the true facts about this supposed 'wonder drug.'

For instance, some people may think cocaine is fun, but the well-documented cardial related events, may be the sole reason why people have a tendency to avoid it.

I believe that this information is known, but for some reason, due to perhaps an agenda of some sort, it has not been released.

And if it is a case of there being insufficient studies conducted, then more studies need to be conducted.

You have to think of the impact of marijuana on the minds of our youth or those that engage in its use for medicinal purposes. They could very well be unwittingly contributing to their own death or eventually disableing themselves through the use of a seemingly "safe product.

You might consider this a rant, but there are studies, one that stated that its use lead to cardialmyopathy conducted by what looked to be the name of an Indian scientist or observer, and another study released by the NHS that stated it may be contributing to a particular protein or fat (sorry that's not very precise) that can slow the process of blood which feeds the heart oxygen.

If there is anybody that can validate any of this, you should step foward so that people who don't know the truth will know. I know there are many people that enage in this activity and I am not trying to call you out on it.

They lock a lot of people up for this when in reality the only way they can be saved is through rehabilitation, but the truth must be known. And if it turns out that this is not the truth, then at least we know.

Although, maybe there are some things we don't want to know.
You make a very strong case for the need to legalize marijuana, so researchers can have the freedom to study it for its bad effects as well as for its good effects. In the United States, a lot of tax dollars have been spent for the purpose of discovering what is bad about marijuana, only to come up with nil. Now let's legalize so we can be free to study what's so good about it.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
What if it's my brother or sister or mother or father or son or daughter? At some point it is of a concern.

I mean, I just want to know the truth about it. What's wrong with knowing the truth? If it kills you, you ought to know.

Am I wrong?
Then go ask the four remaining LEGAL federal medical marijuana patients who have been sent up to 300 joints a month to smoke over the course of two decades, or so. They're bound to tell you smoking up all that pot didn't due horrible damage to their health. It's a shame the government won't give those people a complete physical exam. But then why should they? The results would only do severe damage to their belief that marijuana is too dangerous to legalize.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
I've seen it increase a heartrate normally in the lower 50's or even 40's, go to a 120 while standing up. Can caffiene increase your resting heartrate by 100%?
I smoke pot regularly (with a legal prescription), and also drink Diet Pepsi like it's water... guess which one sometimes gives me the jitters, and causes headaches & irritability when I try to abstain? I'll give you a hint: it's the one that is federally legal and comes in a can.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
The world is made up of winners and losers. Get the feds out of the picture and let the states decide on all drug use and possession.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
As I'll be 36 next month & still smoke the stuff, I guess I'm an old stoner who never grew up! Well, except for the fact that I otherwise act like a grown-up... got a real-life professional job and everything, if you can believe it.

I hardly ever drink liquor, but do relax with a little weed after work or on my days off. Big whoop. Do you think people who have a beer after work "never grew up?" Weird how that double-standard still exists, even from people (like you) who seem otherwise cool about it. Oh yeah, and around here the old stoners are NOT few & far between... I go to the local cannabis clubs regularly, and would estimate the average customer/patient is over 30.

Btw, it's been legal for me going on a decade now, and the "fun" still hasn't gone away - nor have the positive medical benefits, of which there are many. But normally I'd get your point, since these things do lose some magic when you make them legal. Ever been to Europe or South America? The teens there think we're silly about drinking, since it's part of their diet pretty much from day one.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-26-2012 at 02:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies