Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,716,747 times

Advertisements

A one man wrecking crew–

Barack Obama promised to bankrupt the coal industry during the 2008 campaign.

“So if someone wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can. It’s just that it will bankrupt them.”

Now this…

Alpha Natural Resources announced today that it plans on closing eight mines in Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. The company will lay off 1,200 employees.

The New York Times reported:
Alpha Natural Resources, one of the nation’s largest coal producers, announced on Tuesday that it planned to idle eight mines in Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia, reducing its annual production by 16 million tons. The move will include laying off 1,200 of 13,000 employees. The company said that it was trying to meet the “evolving demands of a changing global coal market” and that it would continue selling coal in the United States while focusing new efforts on overseas markets.
The company blamed Obama’s EPA for the layoffs.

The Wall Street Journal reported:
The coal industry has been hit by competition from cheap natural gas, but Alpha made clear in its announcement that an equal problem is a Washington “regulatory environment that’s aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal.” That’s a direct reference to the deluge of Obama Environmental Protection Agency regulations designed to force the closure of coal-fired power plants.
And yet Obama has the nerve to say he represents the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Yes, they are sure focusing on jobs! This administration is bought and paid for by the treehuggers.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 AM

I can now see why Obama never meets with his Jobs Council.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Why not just revive the thread you started a week ago instead of starting a new one? You started the same thread on September 19. Is there some kind of thread starting prize here that I don't know about? Do you get a ribbon or a trophy?

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 09-26-2012 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Link to old thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM

That would be pretty hard since the Wall Street Journal article wasn't published yet last week.

Do you have any independent thoughts on the actual TOPIC?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
My brother just got notice yesterday that they will be laying off. He works for defense. Good going Obama, you really look out for the middle class.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Gadzooks!

Of course, the number of coal mines has been steadily decreasing, along with coal workers, since the 1920s:

http://www.nma.org/pdf/c_trends_mining.pdf

Note that in 2007 there were 1,374 operating coal mines; in 2008 the number increased to 1,458. Then the number began to go down, no doubt in large part due to the tremendous decrease in the cost of natural gas that began around that time.

Nevertheless, from 2009 to 2010 coal production actually increased:

Annual Coal Report - Energy Information Administration

Now I recognize what President Obama said back then in 2008, and I certainly do not want to see my electricity rates skyrocket. However, the cap and trade bill is dead. Plus, if Obama wanted to destroy the coal industry, he is doing a poor job of it. We are still digging out lots of coal. Fewer coal companies, yes, but more efficient and digging out more coal.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Now I recognize what President Obama said back then in 2008, and I certainly do not want to see my electricity rates skyrocket. However, the cap and trade bill is dead. Plus, if Obama wanted to destroy the coal industry, he is doing a poor job of it. We are still digging out lots of coal. Fewer coal companies, yes, but more efficient and digging out more coal.

Yes, Cap and Trade is dead (thankfully) so Obama does an end-around Congress and makes his EPA do his bidding.

You DO notice that they blamed the EPA....right?

So it seems that it's the EPA to blame for mines that wouldn't have closed otherwise.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Yes, they are sure focusing on jobs! This administration is bought and paid for by the treehuggers.
If it wasn't for us "treehuggers" your beautiful pristine rivers and relatively clean air would be mercury, arsenic and lead laden, stinking, fetid, toxic sewers like in China. It's tough to whine about jobs when you're dead.
Attached Thumbnails
Coal Company Will Lay Off 1,200 Workers – Blames Obama EPA Regulations-toxic-china.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies