Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,674,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama does not see America as having a value system shaped by Judeo- Christian influence. Not sharia law .

Obama Mocks & Attacks Jesus Christ And The Bible / Video / Obama Is Not A Christian - YouTube
I agree with him. We should not be using the Bible to shape public policy here in the United States. The Founders explicitly stated that we were not founded as a Christian nation.

That would be closer to Sharia law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I agree with him. We should not be using the Bible to shape public policy here in the United States. The Founders explicitly stated that we were not founded as a Christian nation.

Uhh - no they didn't.

That you fashion yourself as a Satan supporter is very telling.

I do hope that you come to accept the truth. I would suggest reading the Bible.

May God bless you.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,850,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama does not see America as having a value system shaped by Judeo- Christian influence. Not sharia law .

Obama Mocks & Attacks Jesus Christ And The Bible / Video / Obama Is Not A Christian - YouTube
For those interested in knowing what Obama said in his Call to Renewal speech as opposed to what a propagandist sliced together the following link has the transcript and a link to the full video.

Read more: Obama’s Historic “Call to Renewal” Speech - Steven Waldman

From the speech. Clearly Obama does understand about the Judeo_Christian influences.

But what I am suggesting is this – secularists are wrong when they ask believers to leave their religion at the door before entering into the public square. Frederick Douglas, Abraham Lincoln, Williams Jennings Bryant, Dorothy Day, Martin Luther King – indeed, the majority of great reformers in American history – were not only motivated by faith, but repeatedly used religious language to argue for their cause. So to say that men and women should not inject their “personal morality” into public policy debates is a practical absurdity. Our law is by definition a codification of morality, much of it grounded in the Judeo-Christian tradition.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,277,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Uhh - no they didn't.
Yes they did. they specifically did not want the same situation they had with their home country of England, where religion was used to deny them their free expression.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Yes they did. they specifically did not want the same situation they had with their home country of England, where religion was used to deny them their free expression.
The denial of free religious expression(i.e. adherence to the Anglican Church) is not the same as what exists today(the free expression of religious priciples as laid out in the First Amendment).

Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Uhh - no they didn't.

That you fashion yourself as a Satan supporter is very telling.

I do hope that you come to accept the truth. I would suggest reading the Bible.

May God bless you.
Treaty of Tripoli says otherwise.

Quote:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
Not a Satan supporter at all (don't believe in any sort of supernatural being), my line is a take on people telling me "God Bless me" even though I am an Atheist. Like you just did. Why is it appropriate for you to tell an Atheist God Bless you, but a Satanist couldn't tell you that they'd like Satan to rock out with you?

Read the Bible plenty of times during CCD, no need to read it further, as I find it a load of hooey. If you choose to believe it as the truth, good for you, it's not for me.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,675,396 times
Quote:

It so happens our values are very much Christian

Old 09-28-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It so happens our values are very much Christian
Really?

Which values?

Are we going to make a woman who is raped marry her rapist?

Are we not allowed to mix different fabrics or eat shellfish?

Which so called values do you speak of? You don't have to be Christian to have values, you know.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:07 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,534,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Before election day '08, Obama claimed to be a Christian but all we have seen since that erroneous initial proclamation has been one evidence after the other to the contrary. Much as he may resent the fact, we were founded a Christian nation and the vast majority of We the People intend to keep it that way. When he claimed the call to Muslim prayer was the prettiest sound on earth we had a clue about his true ideology. When he repeatedly rejected observances of the (Christian) National Day of Prayer and then celebrated Ramadan in the White House
Well, we know that Romney isn't one, so if being a Christian is that much of an issue to you, about a man that we KNOW isn't one, instead of a man who's been slanderously accused of not being one!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:18 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,675,396 times
Quote:
Really?

Which values?

Are we going to make a woman who is raped marry her rapist?

Are we not allowed to mix different fabrics or eat shellfish?

Which so called values do you speak of? You don't have to be Christian to have values, you know.
Different religious groups have different values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies