Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
But you didnt address the thread topic.
Do you agree those who can't afford to pay their bills should be buying expensive luxury items like ipads and the latest cellphones etc.?
They will never address it.

I literally meet dozens of these people every day, but these people insist I am making it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 01:46 PM

465 posts, read 507,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But if they aren't on welfare or demanding a government bailout then they must be living within their means. Even if one has some debt but plans to pay the debt off oneself, he is living within his means or future means.

I find it incredible how much money so many people are willing to pay for just a phone or toy for their kid.
The only problem I have with that logic is if they're living on debt and don't have anything saved then lose their job or something then they don't have savings to live on and go on food stamps, etc. Of course when that doesn't happen it's their business but even if they own their own business businesses fail every day...and I know a lot of people way way way in debt and just that very thing happens when something goes wrong.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:48 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
I love those people who drive big Chevy Tahoes with custom shiny wheels and live in a bad neighborhood. I would rather live in a more affluent neighborhood and drive a modest car- The amount of money these people spend on gas would be the difference between renting in the ghetto and living in a better neighborhood.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:49 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Very true. Even where I work. A factory... People get bent out of shape when I enforce the company policy of no cell phones on the production floor.
Common excuses.
What if my family has an emergency?
I point to the phone on the floor. and say 570-XXX-XXXX You were given the number when you were assigned to the line.
Well what if I need to call my wife?
I say 3 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch knock yourself out.
It amazes me how people can not live without their cell phones. LOL I threw mine away a long time ago and still dont miss it.
Finally someone who understands! I love it when my supervisor is standing there with her cell phone ringing while telling me to make sure the others are not using their phones.
Hate them.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Such items are not luxury. They are technology. Simply a tool.

Many use them in place of computers and for communication etc... Often they are more cost effective for multi-functions.

This really is a silly topic.
I'd bye that if cell phones and their bills were cheaper than a desktop computer, but they arent.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
How would this be any different from a family where they can't afford clothes and shoes and food for their kids, yet daddy has an arsenal of weapons in his bedroom with enough ammo to start a militia? Or how about the ones who leverage their food stamp funds to buy drugs, alcohol, or pot? Someone who is buying technology kind of pales in comparison, dontcha think? And that is the beauty of freedom in our country - we can be indebted for whatever reason we choose. Spend the money you don't have - it's the American way. How you spend it is your choice.
It in fact would be no different and no less stupid. It starts at the top. If our gov refuses to spend within their means why should the common man, especially when we have a president offering freebies left and right.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They will never address it.

I literally meet dozens of these people every day, but these people insist I am making it up.
LOL and those on the left will try to make me feel guilty because I don't want to pay for their health insurance. LOL

Old 09-29-2012, 02:11 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I know this is anecdotal, but its just crazy..

I was listening to a single mom this morning, one who always complains about how difficult life is to raise a child about how she cant earn enough money to pay the bills (of course a huge Obama supporter), who believes she's poor because Republicans are killing unions and without them, she wouldnt have a job, and she was complaining about how long it was taking to not only update her brand new ipad, but also her daughters..

Dont get me wrong, I've got no problem with people spending their own money, but seriously, whats a 10 year old need a brand new ipad for, and wouldnt the money be better spent buying things like FOOD?
We had an ex-SIL like that, always bitching about money, yet the woman lived high on the hog, always had the latest gadgets, cell phones, cars, taking trips and crap like that. I made twice as much money as her and yet she was blinging way more them me.....

She's a sad sack of crap, long story there though....

Old 09-29-2012, 02:16 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I know this is anecdotal, but its just crazy..

I was listening to a single mom this morning, one who always complains about how difficult life is to raise a child about how she cant earn enough money to pay the bills (of course a huge Obama supporter), who believes she's poor because Republicans are killing unions and without them, she wouldnt have a job, and she was complaining about how long it was taking to not only update her brand new ipad, but also her daughters..

Dont get me wrong, I've got no problem with people spending their own money, but seriously, whats a 10 year old need a brand new ipad for, and wouldnt the money be better spent buying things like FOOD?
Funny, I know people just like that who are staunch Republicans and will be voting for Romney, how can that be?

In fact, a collection agency called this Democrats house last week trying to locate their Republican brother and his wife. LOL

And guess what? This Democrat still doesn't have a cell phone, the highest priced TV package or the fastest internet available {unlike my brother}....however, I am paid for and have quite an impressive portfolio.

I know this is just anecdotal.....so.....pardon me.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:20 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Funny, I know people just like that who are staunch Republicans and will be voting for Romney, how can that be?

In fact, a collection agency called this Democrats house last week trying to locate their Republican brother and his wife. LOL

And guess what? This Democrat still doesn't have a cell phone, the highest priced TV package or the fastest internet available {unlike my brother}....however, I am paid for and have quite an impressive portfolio.

I know this is just anecdotal.....so.....pardon me.
Being a good little Democrat like I know you are, did you offer to help spread the wealth and pay his bill for him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies