Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,717,580 times

Advertisements

Right on cue to back-up Joe Biden saying the middle class has been buried the last 4 years and Bill Clinton saying that everyone would be happy if incomes hadn't dropped under Obama.....

As if to underscore the point, overall orders for manufactured products dropped by 5.2% in August:
Quote:
New orders for manufactured goods in August, down two of the last three months, decreased $24.9 billion or 5.2 percent to $452.8 billion, the U.S. Census Bureau reported today. This followed a 2.6 percent July increase. Excluding transportation, new orders increased 0.7 percent. Shipments, down two of the last three months, decreased $1.3 billion or 0.3 percent to $476.9 billion. This followed a 1.9 percent July increase. Unfilled orders, down following two consecutive monthly increases, decreased $17.0 billion or 1.7 percent to $978.8 billion. This followed a 0.7 percent July increase. The unfilled orders-to-shipments ratio was 6.27, up from 6.23 in July. Inventories, up two consecutive months, increased $3.7 billion or 0.6 percent to $611.8 billion. This was at the highest level since the series was first published on a NAICS basis in 1992 and followed a 0.6 percent July increase. The inventories-to-shipments ratio was 1.28, up from 1.27 in July.
Reuters struggles hard to look for the silver lining (or spin the news):
Quote:
Demand for U.S. factory goods in August fell by the most since January 2009, but the second straight month of gains in orders outside transportation hinted at a less rapid loss of momentum in manufacturing activity.

The Commerce Department said new orders for manufactured goods tumbled 5.2 percent — the biggest drop since the recession — dragged down by a slump in demand for transportation equipment that was telegraphed in last week’s report on orders for long-lasting manufactured goods.

Factory orders had risen 2.8 percent in July and economists had expected them to drop 5.8 percent in August. Excluding transportation, orders rose 0.7 percent in August after rising by the same margin the prior month.
Not that there isn’t a “loss of momentum” in manufacturing, but it’s less rapid than the topline indicates.

That’s a pretty slender reed, especially for the middle class that depends on a healthy manufacturing sector.

Last edited by jt800; 10-04-2012 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,717,580 times
So are you Liberals so much in shock that your "smartest man in the room" got the floor mopped with him that you aren't even going to try and spin this bad economic news?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
So are you Liberals so much in shock that your "smartest man in the room" got the floor mopped with him that you aren't even going to try and spin this bad economic news?
For the one big group of liberal voters, this economy has been very good ---

Remittances to Mexico rise nearly 5 pct | Fox News Latino

Remittances sent by Mexicans living abroad rose 4.81 percent to $13.71 billion in the January-July period, compared to the same period in 2011, the Bank of Mexico said

For other democrat votes -- well Obama is avidly pro-abortion and they're one-party voters and aren't changing that no matter what.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
If what you say is true, then explain why machinery sales are at an all time high. There is a shortage of skilled works and truck drivers. Oil and Gas are looking to hire as many people as want to work. Summer has always been on the slow side, many plants shut down for maintenance. Many people take vacations. I started this business 40 years ago, we have never been busier. ( logistics)

Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
If what you say is true, then explain why machinery sales are at an all time high. There is a shortage of skilled works and truck drivers. Oil and Gas are looking to hire as many people as want to work. Summer has always been on the slow side, many plants shut down for maintenance. Many people take vacations. I started this business 40 years ago, we have never been busier. ( logistics)
Actually the fewer people still in business the better -- for them. (or you) Most likely your competition has gone belly-up -- so while more businesses are boarded up, it can be more work for fewer -- and of course much higher profits for the elite few.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I am a truck driver.. Owner Operator.. I haul machinery... THERE IS NO FREIGHT!!!! Your individual business may be doing well, but nationwide it is slow... We are normally rockin during the summer... I damn near went broke this year.. Oil and Gas are hiring only because they are drilling on private land. Federal leases are few and far between. I haul for them.. I am glad your individual business is doing well. Like you I have been in buisness a long time... 36 years and I have never seen it so slow... I have been sitting here for 2 days looking for freight. Usually I would have been booked 2 weeks in advance. At times as far as a month in advance. Now I find my freight from one day to the next and hope I can find something, anything to haul that will turn a profit.... At one time I replaced my equipment every four years. My truck is now 8 years old and it's worn out and I can't afford the cost of a new one...I really am glad you are doing well, but because you are doesn't mean the rest of the country is...

Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Is this the hyperinflation many people have been talking about?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I am a truck driver.. Owner Operator.. I haul machinery... THERE IS NO FREIGHT!!!! Your individual business may be doing well, but nationwide it is slow... We are normally rockin during the summer... I damn near went broke this year.. Oil and Gas are hiring only because they are drilling on private land. Federal leases are few and far between. I haul for them.. I am glad your individual business is doing well. Like you I have been in buisness a long time... 36 years and I have never seen it so slow... I have been sitting here for 2 days looking for freight. Usually I would have been booked 2 weeks in advance. At times as far as a month in advance. Now I find my freight from one day to the next and hope I can find something, anything to haul that will turn a profit.... At one time I replaced my equipment every four years. My truck is now 8 years old and it's worn out and I can't afford the cost of a new one...I really am glad you are doing well, but because you are doesn't mean the rest of the country is...
We don't do a lot of business in Texas, so, the comparison with Chicago and the eastern ports is like night and day.. Like everyone we suffered bad during the Recession, but now , well it just Keeps coming. We are always looking for Carriers to haul freight. The toughest part is all our goods must be tarp .? We serve the machine tool industry .. We just finished the IMTS show in Chicago, it was very busy this time was hard to keep up. Sorry you are in an area that's not moving as it used too.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,297 times
The jobs number is out tomorrow. Economists predict ~100,000 jobs added and UE to tick up a tenth.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Another 4 years of Oblablabla and we won't even have a manufacturing sector. Then all those illegals will have to go back to pickin crops or something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies