Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:45 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; many other places had it real bad not too long ago but are doing Ok in 2012 like Ireland, Germany, Poland, Korea, China and so on. We're just talking about since the 1950's. The real problem ain't so much with wars but how people "get it done" when the lead stops flying.
Not on the scale and over the time period that the slave trade happened in Africa. West Africa was royally screwed from the 1500s-1960s by slavery and colonization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 04:47 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; if it weren't for other Black people, there'd probably just a few Black slaves in the US, Brazil, Haiti and so on. It was death for white people to go INTO Africa like it was death for the Indians here: both groups dropped like flies from diseases like 9 out of 10.
Ya ain't gonna have any luck teaching them any alternative to the evil white man theory of history.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Not on the scale and over the time period that the slave trade happened in Africa. West Africa was royally screwed from the 1500s-1960s by slavery and colonization.
Was there not slavery and female genital mutilation before the evil white man came?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Ya ain't gonna have any luck teaching them any alternative to the evil white man theory of history.
It is not an evil white man theory of history. It's recognizing centuries of bad **** happened in the past to West Africa and that among other things might have an impact on why things are the way they are in West Africa now. If anything several West African countries like Senegal and Ghana are recovering reasonably well, but it is absurd to ignore the effect of past stuff.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Was there not slavery and female genital mutilation before the evil white man came?
Not on the scale there was after the triangle trade started and the Islamic/Arab conquests occurred.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
You realize the differences between the two procedures ...do you not?
I do. And both are mutilations, regardless which euphemisms you may choose to apply to one side of the ledger.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
When I visited Africa I was picked up at the airport by middle aged Black woman in a nice Mercedes, she took me to her home to meet her husband . The home they lived in would be easily in the $300.000 range for the US. They were not rich by any means, he was in business and she worked at the hospital. They lived in a gated community and their maid (a black lady) brought me tea to my room every morning and spoke in an English accent.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Are things not significantly better in the United States then Nigeria and other African nations?

I mean, for the slaves, it sucked. For their ancestors? Much better.

My Great Great Great...... Grandfather was an indentrued servant from Ireland in the early mid 1700's. About the same as the African slaves at the time.

I mean, what the guy said was stupid in a political sense, but if you stop and think about it.....
There is an odd irony to history. My five x great grandfather was in the first shipment of convicts in 1719. From at least 1400 his family had lived in the same spot, working as skilled labor, farm labor, and after the fields were enclosed just 'labor' (according to records. They didn't even move to become thieves as East London just absorbed the village.

But he went from Maryland, to Kentucky, back to maryland when dad arrived I suspect, and eventually Pensulvania. The family kept moving after that. They never 'settled' for what was dealt. And yet for three hundrend years plus they stayed as pesants in the village. I wonder if some of it is still there in East London eeking out a living.

It doesn't make the exploitation of poor white people and captive black people a good thing in the 'moral' sense. Using is using. Nor does it make their suffering any less. My 5xggrandfather was intured for over a year in Newgate before the ship. He stole a few shirts off a clothes line for his infamous crime. But we can't ever really see the sweep of history unless we move forward sometimes centuries.

I'm not so sure of the full intentions of the origional statement, but the irony is that for most of those who came here without freedom it in the long range of generations came out as a some degree of plus. Given that the black slave trade existed before the colonies became customers, and extended after they ceased to be, the colonial/american connection is just a part and had it not been, the trade would have gone on as it long already had. These same slaves or early on indentured would have just ended up somewhere else. If that would have been good or bad could depend on where they landed.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Have you been to Africa?

Lifes much better here.
Not to mention that those slaves would still have been slaves, just somewhere else. The slave trade started before there was an American market and went on long after. The implied premise that if no black people had been brought to the colonies/states that slavery would not have been for the ones who were is false.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 232,545 times
Well that's kind of a flawed logic. What if all those blacks would've stayed in africa and developed their countries?

Slavery gave trillions of dollars to help the US and the south pretty much depended on it. So you really can't just assume they would be better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies